SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Sail tape not sticking (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99882-sail-tape-not-sticking.html)

Hiroshimasunset 05-26-2013 03:19 PM

Sail tape not sticking

Hi,

We have just applied some Bainbridge Dacron Sail Tape to the luff chord of our mainsail, but it doesn't seem to be sticking very well. Does sail tape become more sticky after application? It doesn't seem like it will hold.

Any input from people with experience using sail tape appreciated!

B.

capttb 05-26-2013 03:45 PM

Re: Sail tape not sticking

Sometimes if you clean the area very well with alcohol it may stick, however I've always had better luck getting it to stick where I don't want it.
Put some on a genny once where it was hitting the spreader, it came off on the end of the spreader and stayed there for a couple years.

Faster 05-26-2013 03:46 PM

Are you trying to 'repair' the luff tape (ie the part that goes into the foil?) We've noticed problems sticking sail tape to any areas with heavy stitching, anywhere that's not really clean and possibly salty, but also the added bulk might cause problems sliding in the foil groove if that's what you're trying to do...

MarkofSeaLife 05-26-2013 03:55 PM

Sail tape is a useless expensive waste. And it doesn't stick!

I always have a litre tin of Contact Cement on board and some spare sail cloth and I stick the sail cloth on with contact cement.
It works well, its flexible.

I use it when using sail tape too.

Grab a can :)

Hiroshimasunset 05-26-2013 04:00 PM

Oh, made a mistake...we are trying repair wear on the leech of the main. Does it take some time for the tape to reach maximum bond strength?

Thanks for the replies

Faster 05-26-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiroshimasunset (Post 1035754)
Oh, made a mistake...we are trying repair wear on the leech of the main. Does it take some time for the tape to reach maximum bond strength?

Thanks for the replies

That makes more sense, but now you're into an area with a heavy stitching pattern, which lifts the tape off the sailcloth and inhibits the 'stick'..

It won't cost a fortune to have a sailmaker repair the leech, and if it's an older it sail it may benefit from a wee 'tuck' anyhow. If the wear comes from spreader or shroud contact they could add a patch at the same time.

zeehag 05-26-2013 04:39 PM

find good glue--not wood glue.
tape sail with good glue. might wanna ask a sailmaker about what kinda glue to buy for this..

sew the glued taped area all around the edges of tape with zig zag stitches. twice. not on top of each other.
then mebbe the sail tape might stick.
have fun...

when you are finished screwing up your sail, the sailmakers can still repair it, so it isnt a big deal to try to fix it first.....might just cost a tad more than if you didnt try too hard at home...

JimsCAL 05-26-2013 08:22 PM

I've used sail tape on the leech of my main and had good luck with it. Sticks like crazy and never came off even after several years of use. Love the stuff. Mine came from Defender. Highly recommended.

SchockT 05-26-2013 11:39 PM

If it is not sticking to the cloth then either the tape is really low quality, or the sail has something on it preventing adhesion. Ask your local sailmaker for a piece of "insignia cloth". It should stick to any part of the sail. If you are sticking it to a stitched area you may need to rub a hard object on the tape to press it onto the cloth between the stitching.

TQA 05-27-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiroshimasunset (Post 1035745)
Hi,

We have just applied some Bainbridge Dacron Sail Tape to the luff chord of our mainsail, but it doesn't seem to be sticking very well. Does sail tape become more sticky after application? It doesn't seem like it will hold.

Any input from people with experience using sail tape appreciated!

B.

Maybe someone has sprayed Teflon or Silicon spray on the mast track and or sail.

Both will inhibit the stickum.