SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Wire halyard through random block. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99920-wire-halyard-through-random-block.html)

northoceanbeach 05-27-2013 11:05 PM

Wire halyard through random block.

I got a wire to rope halyard. I installed it for my spinnaker halyard. My mast has a crane on top and a block in the front for the spinnaker halyard. All I know about this block is that it has a white sheeve and spins like butter. Can I run a wire halyard to replace the previous spinnaker halyard which was all rope or will the wire cause damage?

RickWestlake 05-27-2013 11:20 PM

Re: Wire halyard through random block.

I've steered clear of wire halyards ... partially, because I think NOT.

From what I've seen, wire-halyard sheaves have a different line profile. Just looked in the WM catalog, to confirm-or-deny my suspicions ... and they seem to make a point about blocks and sheaves that are designed for wire halyards.

paulk 05-27-2013 11:33 PM

A white sheave sounds like nylon. A wire halyard will likely cut through it like.... butter. The ONLY reason to have a wire-to-rope halyard on any boat in 2013 would be for a museum display of a boat from the '70's or before. Modern synthetic fiber line is actually stronger than the same diameter wire, and stretches (the reason wire was originally used) less than wire. Splicing wire-to-rope costs so much that even an expensive extra-low stretch synthetic full-hoist halyardoften ends up being cheaper than a wire/rope halyard. The full-hoist line can also be reversed, doubling the life of the halyard. We replaced our wire/rope halyards more than ten years ago, and haven't needed to reverse them yet. Even if your wire to rope halyard was given to you as a present, I would take it off and go with a low-stretch synthetic line. Besides wearing through the spinnaker crane block, the wire is going to develop soldiers that will cut the hands and fingers of foredeck crew, as well as possibly snagging sails. It's simply not worth it.

Faster 05-27-2013 11:51 PM

What Paul said... wire makes no sense for that application and especially for that block.

northoceanbeach 05-28-2013 12:21 AM

I guess ill use it as my main or jib halyard. They supposedly have the original wire sheeves which is what I got it for in the first place. I don't know why I got the idea in my head to put it up in the spin.

northoceanbeach 05-29-2013 12:19 AM

Score !!

Switched it to jib halyard. My masthead sheeves are no longer sticking now that the halyard is wire.

It felt like it was the rope getting pinched since it was only when load was put on. That told me it was the rope being pinched.

Another big problem solved!

northoceanbeach 05-29-2013 12:24 AM

Not to have to start a new a new thread. About how much tail do I want on this halyard. It's got about twenty five feet left over when fully lowered. I supposed it wouldn't hurt to leave about 7 and cut the line and have a new Cunningham line as well?

Faster 05-29-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1036758)
Not to have to start a new a new thread. About how much tail do I want on this halyard. It's got about twenty five feet left over when fully lowered. I supposed it wouldn't hurt to leave about 7 and cut the line and have a new Cunningham line as well?

Yeah.. That's just too much line underfoot.. Find another use for the excess.

northoceanbeach 05-29-2013 01:44 AM

Sweet. Now I have a new cunningham

zz4gta 05-29-2013 10:35 AM

Might be that long if you were planning on running the line to the cockpit.