Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-29-2013
Learning Fast

Outrageous is on a distinguished road
Shower Sump Won't Pump

Pearson 32, from 1982. Has sump pump for shower with manual pull switch in the head. Bought boat 4 yrs ago; the sump would pump, but we never used the shower. Now the sump motor groans & whirs a little, but the sump won't pump. Possibly related (but I doubt it), the sink in the head no longer drains. From the boat manual, I think there are separate thru hulls for each. For this thread I'm looking for advice:

1. do I have to wait until a haul out and have a boat yard do this?
2. dare I unscrew the floor cover in the shower and look for clogged filters and other stuff to fix myself? and is there a site with step by step instructions?
3. is there regular sump maintenance I should have been doing? Like vinegar down the drain, etc?
4. should I consider some form of pipe snake to push through and clear the through hull valve in either the sink or the sump?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: Shower Sump Won't Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrageous View Post
Pearson 32, from 1982. Has sump pump for shower with manual pull switch in the head. Bought boat 4 yrs ago; the sump would pump, but we never used the shower. Now the sump motor groans & whirs a little, but the sump won't pump. Possibly related (but I doubt it), the sink in the head no longer drains. From the boat manual, I think there are separate thru hulls for each. For this thread I'm looking for advice:

1. do I have to wait until a haul out and have a boat yard do this?
2. dare I unscrew the floor cover in the shower and look for clogged filters and other stuff to fix myself? and is there a site with step by step instructions?
3. is there regular sump maintenance I should have been doing? Like vinegar down the drain, etc?
4. should I consider some form of pipe snake to push through and clear the through hull valve in either the sink or the sump?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
This is something you can definitely check out yourself. I bet the problem will be very obvious once you take up the cover.
Old 05-29-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

It is not unusual for my pump to get an air lock. This happens in centrifugal pumps when the it has air between the outbound Thull and the pump. If you have a diaphram pump, ignore this. But I fix a vapor lock by putting a water hose to it on low pressure and pushing water through until it is flowing freely. If you cannot push water through freely, you know you have some kind of block. Could be a hair clog... but try using a wire pulling snake to check. It is a long plastic line that we use to pull wires (snake) with. I like that because you can run it through without breaking anything.

Same with the sink, but it should be an easy fix (again with the plastic snake).

Does that make sense?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-29-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Your sink may have a through hull fitting, Check to see if it is closed. If the pump is running but not pumping it may need to be replaced. How much water is in the sump?

S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 05-29-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

ccould be a clogged hose or filter, bd pump or any combo. time to get dirty!
Old 05-29-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Clogged filter creek probably. Some pumps have hands on pulleys which come off the tracks internally. Some also have impellers. Check them.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-29-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

You may be surprised by what a screw driver and a pair of sharp eyes can do.
Old 05-30-2013
Learning Fast

Capt Len:
Yeah, I've often surprised myself with a screwdriver and pair of sharp eyes. That's why I'm asking you Experts for advice first

katsailor:
1. through hull in bathroom sink thinks it's open, but it's possible the handle no longer operates the ball valve and it needs replacing.
2. there's no water currently visible because we sponged it up.

Cruisingdad:
I'm off to find a plastic snake suitable for the boat. Recommendations welcomed!

Thanks so far. Will update with what works (and doesn't).
Old 05-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

You should follow the hose coming out of the shower sump and see where it goes. On my Pearson the shower sump goes to a diaphram style pump which then pumps it out a through hull on the transom (well above water line). The sink in the head goes through it's own through hull that runs out of the side of the boat (just below water line).
Old 06-19-2013
Learning Fast

Since these posts, I've tried to take off what I trust is the cover plate for the shower sump. I've removed the 4 stainless screws and tried various spanner wrenches etc. to turn the plastic drain hole - all of which I think I'm supposed to do. The hole won't move (and I'm not forcing it). There is also sealer around the cover, which I'm prepared to scrape out if it turns out that removing the hole doesn't just reveal the source of the clog/problem. BTW, we've owned the boat 4 years but never showered in it; however the boat is 30 years old, so likely someone did. Just not clear what we did that might have suddenly clogged it.

I did some online research about Rule, Attwood, and Whale shower sumps and can't find any pictures of something like what I have.

At any rate, attached are picks of the cover and hole, and welcome your advice before I damage something by trying to do too much the wrong way...
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Sump Won't Pump-0615131432.jpg   Shower Sump Won't Pump-0615131432a.jpg