spent 5 months cruising, and want MORE. Any one Info on Ta Chiao 38 ? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cruxandreams

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
spent 5 months cruising, and want MORE. Any one Info on Ta Chiao 38 ?

Hello fellow cruisers, we just returned from a down and back the east coast trip in our newly "mostly" restored Cheoy Lee clipper, and we had a great time, learned a ton, and meet lots of great people. We left December 23rd from Baltimore, with no dodger, haha so we were a little cold for the first week or so, but we're strong and resilient and had a great time. Not easy on a young relationship, Hahaha, that's for sure, but a test we passed non the less. The trip really taught us a lot being our first serious cruise, and we have a much better understanding of what we want out of a boat, design wise, as we plan to cruise far and wide, and want a vessel that is capable of such.

Now It is nice having just about everyone on the water including bridge tenders, coast guard, and almost every boat that passes giving you thumbs ups and saying "wow what a beautiful boat", but we feel we want something heavier for comfort during extended off shore passage making, as well as a more secure cockpit, and deeper draft.

Any way lets just cut strait to the chase. we are looking very seriously at a Hans Christian 38, but just found this Ta Chiao 38, which appears to be very similar to the Hans 38, but it has flush decks, which I love. After standing on the cabin top trying to wrestle a main sail in gale force winds, and 10' seas, I feel like the flush deck would give me a little more stability when working on deck. she also has slightly deeper draft, and has an outboard rudder, which I'm okay with the draft, and love the outboard rudder. I have spent the last hour searching for any info on these boats, and I have found very very little, like nothing but specs. Sooo how is this possible, is this the only one ever made, the ct 41 is all over, but nothing on the 38.

No need to tell me about how "slow or what ever" these kinds of boats are, for the slower the better for me, we've got about 20 years on the younger cruisers out there, so I'm in no rush. We want something comfortable, and stable to live on as we travel the world for the next 10 or so years. any info at all would be great. I know its been a while since my last posts, look forward to hearing from some of the guys iv meet through my previous posts. btw just out of Norfolk heading north, my motor started making some weird clattering, so I shut it down, and it was another motorless journey up the bay lol. Great practice coming into the dock under sail power alone, makes ya feel good too. Maybe one day ill just pull the diesel out and throw it out for the extra storage space....well not quite yet.
bljones and LoboPops like this.

Last edited by Faster; 05-30-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: spent 5 months cruising, and want MORE. Any one Info on Ta Chiao 38 ?

How many people are you, what age, and what's your budget? Where do you plan to cruise? You said all over, did you mean circumnavigate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

crux, you've come a long, long way in a couple of years. Way to go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I see those boats for sale around the internet from time to time. There is one in Cali right now for 60 grand. Take ya any where I reckon.
Old 05-31-2013
young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
How many people are you, what age, and what's your budget? Where do you plan to cruise? You said all over, did you mean circumnavigate?
Its my girl friend Katherine, and my self. I just turned 24 and she is 23. Our budget is about 50k. The Hans I'm looking at needs work which is why its in my price range, but that is what I want. With me, the boat purchase has to be an investment. Buying a boat that doesn't need work presents me with no method of coming out with more than I put in if you know what I mean" I know this sounds crazy with a boat, but I am starting to figure it out".

With the Cheoy, I learned allllll about restoring old boats, how to deal with old teak decks, cut apart and scarf back together wood spars, install new motor, build a bow sprite out of spruce, re-teak the cockpit with out the holes, teak cabin sides inside and out, turning dead lights into beautiful bronze port holes, re-wiring, plumbing, lets just sum it up as a good deal. What I'm trying to say is the fact that the boat needs work is something I require in a boat I look to invest in, and trust me I have learned how much work can be required on some of these old boats, and how much it can cost. I have it all figured into the equation.

About the where question, we want to spend the next 10 or so years cruising the world, the boat is on the west coast, so we plan to cruise the north west for a while and slowly, like take about 2-3 years come south to South America, through the canal, Caribbean, and back to Baltimore, where we will pick up my father and hopefully my mother, and cross the ocean to fulfill my dads, "and ours" dreams of cruising the Med. from there I guess east, but haven't thought out that far. So we just want something that is capable of it all, but not too big, I know the value of the smaller the better, but we feel confident we can manage the 38 weighing in at about 14 tons.

I have a big list of design aspects that I want our next boat to have, and the Hans 38 comes pretty close, and now this ct 38 seams to be very close as well, but I cant find any info on the vessel any where. Probably go with the Hans due to its overall value capability, but I plan to also take a closer look at this CT. I mean Baba 40 is a dream, but until I find one that needs some serious work a little out of our price range.

Last edited by Faster; 05-31-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: paragraphs!!... long posts hurt my old eyes! ;)
Old 05-31-2013
young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
crux, you've come a long, long way in a couple of years. Way to go!
Thank you Captain.