Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013

matthewwhill is on a distinguished road
Reefing question

When I reef my main I use a line at the end of the boom to bring down the cringle near the leech no problem. It goes to a block and I tie it to a cleat on the boom.

I also use a line that starts at the base of the mast (aft side), goes up through a cringle near the luff, and then back down to a cleat on the mast. When I tension it the luff descends BUT the slugs cannot travel down the slug-track in the mast to where they should be because there is a phillips screw with a nut and spacer in the track that prevents them. It sits right above the wide portion of the track thru which you put the slugs (or bolt rope) into the track... so it keeps them from "falling out" when you lower the main sail. It also makes the sail bunch up at the luff/mast when you reef and makes it impossible to bring the luff cringle all the way down to the boom where the leech cringle and reefing points are.

Does anyone else have a mast that requires the removal of a screw or pin and removal of slugs from the track to reef?

The system works, but the bunching is un-sightly and I am sure doesn't help laminar flow over the sail. Also the aft end of the boom sags a bit.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Reefing question

You can modify the sail with a system that allows the slugs to stack up yet the sail to drop, it's another system called a 'jackline'. The drawing shows below.. how far you need to go depends on the distance you need to gain.

RichH likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-31-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Remove the screw... replace with a hand tightened sail stop, done.
Davis Sail Track Stop
Old 05-31-2013

Thanks Faster!

But the pin or screw that I'm talking about is right under the lowest most slug in your drawing - or maybe 6 inches below. The slugs path downward is blocked and if it weren't they would all escape out the wider part of the track in the mast. I am wondering if this was designed for a main sail with a bolt rope in the luff which could go out and then come back in more easily when you take the reef out... just wondering aloud.

Is a certain amount of luff-bunching normal? I always assumed the cringle should be able to come down to the level of all the other reef points etc...

Am I too sensitive about my luff-bunching? I think this is a funny new term I've invented. I like the sound of "luff-bunching" but it still makes me feel crummy because my reefed main looks weird.
Old 05-31-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwhill View Post
Thanks Faster!

But the pin or screw that I'm talking about is right under the lowest most slug in your drawing - or maybe 6 inches below. The slugs path downward is blocked and if it weren't they would all escape out the wider part of the track in the mast. I am wondering if this was designed for a main sail with a bolt rope in the luff which could go out and then come back in more easily when you take the reef out... just wondering aloud.

Is a certain amount of luff-bunching normal? I always assumed the cringle should be able to come down to the level of all the other reef points etc...

Am I too sensitive about my luff-bunching? I think this is a funny new term I've invented. I like the sound of "luff-bunching" but it still makes me feel crummy because my reefed main looks weird.
The point is that the lacing shown between the sail slug cringles and the slugs allow the sail to drop down to the gooseneck while leaving the slugs stacked above the stop screw. The blue line is the jackline lacing that is stretched taut when hoisted, but so slack when dropped that the sail itself will reach down to the gooseneck...
RichH likes this.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 05-31-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The jackline approach allows the slugs to stay high while the sail goes low. So it handles your exact issue.

The other option is to make or get what is called a mast gate. These fill the slug opening so that the slugs can stay in the track. You remove the gate when you want to take the sail off. They are a pain to fit properly and keep the slugs moving smoothly, if I were doing it again I'd use jack line. However the mast on my Pearson has a gate that fits well and it works great.
rugosa likes this.
Old 05-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Remove the screw... replace with a hand tightened sail stop, done.
Davis Sail Track Stop
Thanks!.....

Would you remove the slugs out the bottom end of the slot/track of the mast when you put in a reef and partially lower sail? And then put them back in when you take out the reef?

Is this common? It seems like a pain in the butt if you're out there in heavy weather and need to reef quickly....
Old 05-31-2013
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwhill View Post
Thanks!.....

Would you remove the slugs out the bottom end of the slot/track of the mast when you put in a reef and partially lower sail? And then put them back in when you take out the reef?

Is this common? It seems like a pain in the butt if you're out there in heavy weather and need to reef quickly....
Compared to using a jackline, it is a pain, as you say...

Old 05-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The jackline approach allows the slugs to stay high while the sail goes low. So it handles your exact issue.

The other option is to make or get what is called a mast gate. These fill the slug opening so that the slugs can stay in the track. You remove the gate when you want to take the sail off. They are a pain to fit properly and keep the slugs moving smoothly, if I were doing it again I'd use jack line. However the mast on my Pearson has a gate that fits well and it works great.
Ahh.... I see now. This seems like another level of complexity though, which is prone to sabotage or failure of a less sinister variety....

So what to do... live with it? Maybe I'll get the Davis Sail Track Stopper and use it when time and conditions allow. Live with luff bunching in more dangerous conditions.

But if I use the Davis Sail Track Stopper will I have to go and put all the damn slugs back in the track when I take the reef out? And since my halyard is run aft... I'd have to go the the mast and back and forth etc....

Hmmm.. Maybe I'll luck out and find a mast gate that fits properly.
Old 05-31-2013

beachbm61 is on a distinguished road

To answer your question. Yes, every boat at our sailing school is like you describe. Every boat I've sailed, including my own is like that. You don't remove the screw to reef. Just bring down the cunningham, that's what you call cringle, to the lowest point.