Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PBzeer
  • 1 Post By PBzeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013

svShearwater is on a distinguished road
Where can I anchor with 7' draft in the Keys?

Our J/120 will be dropped off in Palm Beach next week and then we'll be spending a week with a few friends making our way to Key West before sailing across the Gulf to Corpus Christi. Our boat is not exactly made for the Keys with 7' draft, but I'd like to make the most of it with friends that have never been cruising before.

Where can we anchor? From my research I don't think we have a lot of options, but hopefully I've missed some. I've identified No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne, Marathon, Bahia Honda, and Key West of course. I've been to the last 3 a few years ago. Am I missing something else with enough water? Is there another (better?) option than Bahia Honda between Marathon and Key West.

Are there still many boats in the Keys in June?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2013

svShearwater is on a distinguished road
Re: Where can I anchor with 7' draft in the Keys?

Edit to the above...

I just did the route from No Name Harbor to Marathon and realized that is a bit far for one day (100nm). Are there any deep anchorages between No Name and Marathon I could consider?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Man you're push'n it. You can just squeeze in Ceasers creek. Pull up between red #20 and # 18 and put out a stern and bow anchor to stay out of the way. Rodriqez has 8 to 10 feet a way's off of it, but it's not protected. I make the run from Miami to Boot key as an over nighter sometimes. Hawk channel is clearly lit at night. Just go from blinker to blinker. I've anchored on the south west side of Tavenier key in 10 feet of water on fairly calm nights. Channel number 5 between lower matecumbe and Long Key is a good anchorage. It show's 7 at some points in the channel. But that is at the lowest of the low tides in a year of course. I anchor there a lot with 6 foot and still had plenty of water below.
Old 06-01-2013
KNOT KNOWN

I would def. go for Channel number 5 at Matecumbe. You can get in there. Give red # 2 a wide berth and run that line along green #1 and stay in 10 feet. You'll see some one else anchored over on that side for sure.
Old 06-01-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Sorry, I get obsessed with these questions sometimes. If I was showing people a nice trip. I would make from Key Biscyane to Ceasers creek, and anchor like I said, on the north side of the channel between those markers. You'll get waked, but you'll be out of the way. Then I would make for Channel number 5. You can get in there for sure, and then on down to boot key etc. etc. That will break up the trip and give them a good look at the key's. Bring Mosq. net and coils for Ceasers. Those coils really keep the bugs at bay if there happen to be any that night. You won't have bugs at channel number 5 and so on. Hope I helped.
Old 06-01-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Most people tuck in at Rodriguez Key, but you wouldn't be able to get very far in. Key West is an overnight from Cape Florida. That might be a better plan.
Capt.aaron likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-01-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

You can probably snag one of the outer mooring balls at Indian Key, just short of Channel 5.
Capt.aaron likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-01-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
You can probably snag one of the outer mooring balls at Indian Key, just short of Channel 5.
That's a definate maybe. Call the park dudes and ask, The Boy Scout boats are alway's there, and they all draw 6.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.