Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Sucks trying to nail down a boat.

Cant believe how ****** up it is trying to narrow down my first bigger boat. j24. pearson 30, cal 9.2, cat 27, c and c? Trying to find something to sail in lake st. clair. Most of the time it will be just me. also know some folks and will probably do the tue. night races as well eventually. Just want something stable enough to be able to handle alone and something small enough to not cost me a fortune on slips and such. Boat will mostly be day sailed and raced although I would like some option of going through the great lakes and even the Mac race. Any help appreciated.
Edit: budget is 15k and under and that includes any possible needed upgrades and slip as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Sucks trying to nail down a boat.

That is a very diverse list of boats. It's good to look at every option on the market, but you should also think about what you need in terms of space below and performance. A J/24 and Catalina 27 are sort of like saying that you are buying a car and the list includes both a Miata and a Ford Taurus Wagon.

As with any big used purchase (like a house or car) it takes a while to find a good candidate. The hunt is both fun and aggravating, but the right boat will come along.

alex
abrahamx (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Can't help you with the racing side of life, but if you're looking for a solid, inexpensive Great Lakes cruiser, I'd consider a Grampian 26, or a 30. The Northern 29 is a good boat, as is the 25. C&C 29s are good racer/cruisers (probably more racer than cruiser). Pearson 30 would be good. Not sure if a Nonsuch 26 is in the budget, but would be a comfortable cruiser. Bayfield 29s might be in your range. Good solid boat. Pretty too.

There are lots out there.
abrahamx (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Maybe a 1-off racing boat... (seeing as you are planning on racing)... Merit, Capri, Mirage 236, san jaun, siedelman, S2 7.9 grand slam, or perhaps a slightly faster cruiser, Hunter 26.5, Hunter 25.5, probably a dozen others that CAN be sailed to their rating, and single handed.

I'd be looking for a boat around $8000 or less. Because your first purchase will likely be sails. You are looking for a boat that you can single hand and sail to it's rating.. tall order.

Exactly what I've tried to do... then you just have to do it.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHNOOL For This Useful Post:
abrahamx (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013

Yep, guess I'm on the right track then. Exactally my thoughts. Its kind of comming down to do I want a tralierable boat that I can pick up or do I want a 30' that I have to have delievered or find a close one. Then pay for a slip asap so I can park it? Plus the bigger ones are older and in need of more cash. Sons a bitches.
Old 06-01-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Cape Dory made a ton of good quality boats, many in the 25 to 30 ft range. They are not racers but they can handle any kind of weather (within reason) if you want to do some crusing.

Plug you budget and size into one of the search engines like boats.com amd yachtworld.com, you might find a make of boat you never considered.
Old 06-01-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Lake St. Clair- find the best shoal draft S2 8.0 you can find- you'll be well under budget, (A good S2 8.0 shouldn't set you back more than $10K), have a great tough little racer cruiser that can take advantage of St. Clair's everchanging depth, and work well in St. Clair's flukey winds. Lots of them are close by. I know of a better-than-average one up this way in the sub$10K price range, that wouldn't cost a ton to be delivered... or sail her back yourself on a long weekend.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Lake St. Clair- find the best shoal draft S2 8.0 you can find- you'll be well under budget, (A good S2 8.0 shouldn't set you back more than $10K), have a great tough little racer cruiser that can take advantage of St. Clair's everchanging depth, and work well in St. Clair's flukey winds. Lots of them are close by. I know of a better-than-average one up this way in the sub$10K price range, that wouldn't cost a ton to be delivered... or sail her back yourself on a long weekend.
Please let me know. I am ready to go. PM me or email me or just hit me up right here.
Old 06-01-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

abraham,
I'll send you a pm shortly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road

Ha Ha...you think it suks looking for a boat...believe me, the suks and the suks BIGtime starts after you own it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.