SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Who registered their boat outside their home state? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100065-who-registered-their-boat-outside-their-home-state.html)

IronSpinnaker 06-02-2013 06:17 AM

Who registered their boat outside their home state?

I was thinking about Trucking companies and the common practice of registering equipment in tax free states like Maine and TN. I was at the marina last week and noticed a few boats from far away that have been there for quite some time. In the past I assumed they were transients, but now I am thinking that the boats are just registered out of state because of CT's high personal property taxes.

Do sailors use tax loopholes like this and what States are the cheapest for Registration/taxes?

Seaduction 06-02-2013 07:04 AM

Re: Who registered their boat outside their home state?

You may be looking at their "hailing port."

sailingfool 06-02-2013 08:11 AM

States have gotten quite good at finding a boat dodging their sales or use taxes. Harbor masters, Environment Protection police and other state agencies all get pulled into the process of identifying boats located in the state that have not paid the use tax. And given the state automatically applies interest and penalties that can quickly double or more the use tax in cases where you cannot prove that you did you don't owe it, its generally smart to be paying on time and avoiding the pain down the road.

ShoalFinder 06-02-2013 08:27 AM

Ask John Kerry

eherlihy 06-02-2013 11:31 AM

I currently live in MA, but KEEP my boat in RI. RI has no tax on boats.

steve77 06-02-2013 12:01 PM

I live in MA but keep my boat in Maine. Not for any tax related reason, I just like sailing in Maine. Maine is not a tax free state, you do have to pay a yearly excise tax. Slips and moorings are cheaper than the Boston area though.

tweitz 06-02-2013 02:35 PM

Who registered their boat outside their home state?

For years I lived in NJ as my primary residence, but kept the boat in NY, where I have a vacation home. When I bought a new boat in 2006, the dealer was in NY and they were required to ask if I owned a residence in NY. since I did, they had to charge NY sales tax, to a difference of some $2500. I am now registered in NY. Fortunately neither state has an annual property tax like CT.

northoceanbeach 06-02-2013 03:08 PM

In Washington it is common for sailors that live in Oregon. In Washington registration each year is a percentage of the value of your boat where in Oregon it is a flat $60.

Seaduction 06-02-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronSpinnaker (Post 1038429)
I was thinking about Trucking companies and the common practice of registering equipment in tax free states like Maine and TN. I was at the marina last week and noticed a few boats from far away that have been there for quite some time. In the past I assumed they were transients, but now I am thinking that the boats are just registered out of state because of CT's high personal property taxes.

Do sailors use tax loopholes like this and what States are the cheapest for Registration/taxes?

Most states require a boat owner to register their boat in the state in which it is kept. (in FL you are permitted to have your boat in the state for 90 days without registering it here). If you notice boats from "far away" you may be looking at the hailing port which does not have to be in the registered state.

jimrafford 06-02-2013 04:53 PM

Currently there is no property tax on boats in ct. We pay an excessive registration fee as a use tax. W/ the budget problems here the gov. will figure a way to change that.
Jim