Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
first sail

On 5/28 aftering waiting several days for the mast to be trucked down and the weather to cooperate sufficiently to allow commissioning we went on on first sail ever on the Outbound 46. After wasting the morning tuning electronics and the autopilot headed north from Norfolk Va towards R.I. in 30+kts. Put out poled solent and single reefed main maded 206 nm. Yep first day this boat ever sailed maded 206nm. Clocked 11.8 when surfing. Stayed with 28-35kt from southerly directions for rest of voyage until last few hours. Even double reefing for the night and doing the whole trip on autopilot in harbor and tied up in <2 1/2d. Wife's longest passage to date and she loved it. Haven't got off the boat yet except for trips to Lowe's, and West Marine. Back to finishing commissioning. Bye.
Faster, T37Chef, deniseO30 and 2 others like this.
Old 06-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: first sail

Eh?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Sounds like great fun!

Mind you I would have had a secoond reef in at 30 knots and gone a little slower... but after 35,000nms on my boat she is fullllly commissioned!

Actually, if you were dead down wind... what was your apparent wind speed, over the deck?
if you did a 200 mile day thats average 8.5kts... so if true wind was 30 apparent would have been 21.5.... fine for just one reef...

If it was 30 over the deck I would have had a second reef.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 06-02-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Awesome!! Wating for more when you can... and

justflie likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I said "eh" because apparently I don't know the story that brings you to post about a new boat you just took deliver of, and headed out in questionable weather. From VA to RI .... OK there just has to be whole lot more to this story! Glad all went well!
T37Chef likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I was thinking the same thing D. ? So outbound, wanna fill us in a little? or not

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I said "eh" because apparently I don't know the story that brings you to post about a new boat you just took deliver of, and headed out in questionable weather. From VA to RI .... OK there just has to be whole lot more to this story! Glad all went well!
Denise.. clearly you need to start reading/following the 'interesting sailboats' thread. In that thread we have two SNers in the final stages of commissioning brand new semi custom boats. Outbound with his Outbound 46, and Hannah2 doing the same with a new Boreal in Europe.

Feeling rampant envy here!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the brevity but the wife gonna kill me if I don't get the grill mounted before company shows up.
1.Weather was not questionable. This is a true blue water boat. There were two experienced sailors on a boat set up for singling. Looked out to 96h knew it would not be a problem. One of the advantages of this design with it's heavier displacement the the open knock offs it's is behavior in this situation. Never saw a drop of rain. Cockpit dry the whole time.
2. Electronics give you true and apparent. Numbers quoted were true. Sea state was moderate with 4-6'. ( average 2/3rd) Running with her big spade rudder she loved it. Yes, we did hull speed or better for most of the run.
3. Was first offshore sail for my wife. Never wanted to scare her as we plan to be doing this for years to come. With pole out and preventer got her to stand watches. She knew two experienced sailors were a yell a way. She knew how to tract targets on radar and AIS. She knew how to run the autopilot. She was given very clear parameters as to when to wake someone. She got to stand single watches at night. She's hooked.
Thanks all for the kind wishes. Back to work.
Old 06-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

Congrats! "clearly" I missed something along the way LOL Enjoy!

my current "project"!
Old 06-02-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

I made the mistake of going to the local boat show Friday with the admiral.
Bad news is the boat she really liked was a new IP 460, good news is it was discounted heavily to $399,000. She suggested we sell the house and pay cash, I suggested we'd need to sell 2 houses.
BTW she wouldn't even step aboard the Bene 10R with carbon spars I Liked.
Good luck with the new boat, I'm sure you guys will love it.

Last edited by capttb; 06-02-2013 at 09:41 PM.