Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Finally; guess I had a mental block!

Finally got out on the boat last night! I kept her on the hard longer this spring so the the exterior woodwork could be done. Also, as some of you know; I was agonizing about the Hurth HBW not going into fwd. The trans, was ok when we splashed her about a week ago. But because of the rainy days and the past few sweltering days She's just been sitting on her mooring.....

Well, last night my new best friend Pat who has never really been on a boat before came with me. It was in the 90s; HHH weather that just kills me because of heat intolerance. So we got on the boat. Pat was a sight of nervous, no sea legs, and random ramblings of "oh I don't want to go swimming tonight, I know the boat won't sink etc" But, she was ok after we got underway!

We just motored the little putt putt universal 5416 down river to the Burlington Bristol bridge. Then, up the NJ side to do a 180 turn in front of Curtain's Wharf/marina. One look through the binocs made us realize sitting in the sun on the deck, sipping drinks and eating was not something to do this night of 90+ temps and dying wind. Heading back with the flow and back up and past my YC, the last of the evening wind was behind us with the sun, when I felt the heat big time until the sun was finally behind the trees. gad! It was bad out there in the heat!

During this season, and the last night, I'm dealing with a sort of inner turmoil; "Why do I keep a boat I can no longer afford to have, fix up, and do the big plans I had 10 yrs ago? Why do I have to suffer from the heat so badly? (I've always been heat intolerant) Why don't I just get the house projects done and try to sell the house; get that bigger boat and live the rest of my life doing what I want? The why's and why nots" are piling up. My body continually lets me down me even though my mind is as sharp as twenty nine year old! Oh...and I'm turning 65 next month...

Anyways.. just thought I share this.. maybe some of you are dealing with similar issues.

I did enjoy last night! and maybe that is the key.. JUST GET OUT THERE!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I am in a similar predicament. But, the admiral agreed to sell the house with the pool (that noone uses any more) and the yard (that I am tired of eternally mowing). We move into a 2 BR condo by July. BONUS: our last child just got his own apartment!

I hope to be sailing a lot in July and august.

Get out there now, and sell the house ASAP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 06-02-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spellin
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Finally; guess I had a mental block!

Also,

The admiral and I were out Friday night through Saturday. Temps at home were in the 90s. Winds were steady 15kts from the southeast. Both days were great sailing (we consistently hit 6+ kts). Temp on the bay was in the 70s! Water temps are in the 60s in Narragansett bay. We needed blankets on Friday night.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 06-02-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Don't you sometimes wish you could fill your cockpit with ice cubes? Denise, you are so knowlegeable ... You need to stay on the water!
The Following User Says Thank You to dvuyxx For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-02-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Let's just say that we are approaching a "similar" age, and we've found that as we age being comfortable matters more. That means we are less interested in long offshore passages, more interesting in coastal cruising. That means we like being anchored at 4PM for a sundowner in a quiet cove and cooking up something good. That means we have a boat with a few extras like good heating, fridge, AC (when dockside), etc. That said, after owning big boats and little boats, we think it's best to cruise in the smallest simplest boat you can get comfortable on, although from your posts we don't think you have trouble fixing stuff! But creature comforts matter.

That doesn't mean it's too late to go off cruising. Pick a style of cruising that works for you.

But whatever your dream is, the time to live it is now. Hear the clock ticking, but don't fear it, be motivated by it. Good luck!
deniseO30 and utchuckd like this.
Old 06-02-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

You do have a big bimini, don't you?
deniseO30 likes this.
Old 06-02-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Yep Cool enuff for covers on Fri nite. Got a tad hot yesterday and HHH today. Winds outta the S/SW most of the time...right up the Bay. Too windy for me on Sat a.m We sailed off the dock, went out and jibb'd N. up-river and could NOT get back down, nor get the main up, White caps and spray! Pulled the sail and motored back within an hour of departure.
Too much of a good thing...at least for me

We're not getting older! Just need a bit more time to do things LOL
deniseO30 and Seaduction like this.
Old 06-02-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Denise,

Well, if you weren't so damned young I would have taken you sailing with me yesterday. Sailed down from Havre de Grace to Aberdeen Proving Grounds, then across to the Elk River and up to the Bohemia where I met with Michael (Ferret-chaser), tossed down a couple green coconut Margarettas, then sailed back to Havre de Grace with 12 to 15 knot winds from the south. Had a ball, great winds, not at all hot or humid, and got back to the marina about 8:45 p.m., just in time to avoid getting stuck in the mud in front of my slip at low tide. Hope to see you at the Sailnet Rendezvous at Maryland Yacht Club this weekend - the boat's bar is fully stocked and the air conditioner works great.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to travlineasy For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-02-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Gee thanks everyone! I feel the love! It's hard.. the heat gets to me too easy and it's not getting any better. All the ways to endure work but for a very short time. (Like wet tee and no bra... ) Yes, have a New Bimini but the heat even without sun, still sucks the life out of me. The past 3 days around here were like August!

My boat is for sale.
Old 06-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Don't make any rash decisions; you're getting your groove back. If you still feel the same way in July, then that's another story.
deniseO30 likes this.
1975 Albacore 15