Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road
Re: 1972 tartan 30

Here are some ideas,

My T 30 has a universal 3 cyl in it, I think the same block as the beta. I think running it prior to purchase is a great idea as you do not know where the bilge oil came from. On mine the oil filter is on the back (port) side of the block and is horizontal. It is impossible to get it off without slopping some oil. I use a plastic bag under it to catch most but not all of the oil. My bilge also had some old oil in it, most likely had been there for years from the old A4. Run it and see what happens.

The rudder is foam encased in FRG, the post has horizontal metal bars welded to it. To the best my knowledge they all leak eventually. If you have not already, have one person hold the rudder while a second moves the tiller. If there is slop check the hinge at the tiller and attachment to the post. If they are secure then the post might be loose in the rudder, a fellow owner found his horizontal supports had rusted off the post in the now saturated foam. He fixed it as a DIY project, not easy. My rudder leaks a bit of water when pulled, has been in the water year round for 40 yrs and is still solid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

Since the oil in the engine is clean and the oil in the bilge dirty, isn't it likely that that the oil in the bilge was spilled from an oil change? Additionally, a little bit of oil in the bilge will make a real mess and if there is a gallon of water in the bilge it will be hard to tell how much oil there really is.

IMHO, before you panic and start pulling things apart, you should note the oil level on the dipstick, then run the engine for 30 minutes, shut down, wait 30 minutes, and then measure it again. While the engine is running you should be looking for oil leaks.

Good luck,
Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
I suppose the crankcase breather is a possibility. It it posssible that the owner filled the oil to half way between full and under full and it has not leaked any oil while on the hard. The oil in the bilge was dirty I am pretty sure. I do agree with the engine appearance. Just not sure how it would get wet being in the middle of the cabin unless it was dripping down the mast. The boat was nicely shrink wrapped. I guess its worth $200 to find out what the deal is.
BubbleheadMd likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

The owner is putting it in the water this weekend and I am scheduling a survey for the motor for my own piece of mind. The owner insists he has no idea how anything got there and that he never has to add oil. I have since talked to several folks who say they end up with oil in the bilge over winter. At 234 lbs. I am not worried about pulling this thing.
Old 06-20-2013

I can see signs of rust near the lower hinge. The surveyor seemed to think it was the fact(?) That they probably used iron welding rod instead of stainless?
Old 06-20-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Lower hinge of what??
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-20-2013

Rudder. Sorry I meant to quote a previous post.
Old 06-22-2013

Now I find out the boat has been retagged because of the z in the hin. The owner mentioned a diesel spill which is why I assumed the new tank. Said diesel was almost to the floor boards. Not sure if that alone would cause it to be sold as a salvaged boat and hence the retag. Any opinions? You saw the pics and I am still tempted to buy given a good motor survey. Not sure what else to look for now. The boat was built in Feb. of 1972. Might it not have had a hull no. at first, then issued one when sold? Also, does this boatfax site work or is there any legit way to track the history of this boat?

Last edited by abrahamx; 06-22-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
Now I find out the boat has been retagged because of the z in the hin. The owner mentioned a diesel spill which is why I assumed the new tank. Said diesel was almost to the floor boards. Not sure if that alone would cause it to be sold as a salvaged boat and hence the retag. Any opinions? You saw the pics and I am still tempted to buy given a good motor survey. Not sure what else to look for now. The boat was built in Feb. of 1972. Might it not have had a hull no. at first, then issued one when sold? Also, does this boatfax site work or is there any legit way to track the history of this boat?
Well I can't imagine that boatfax works any better than carfax, as in does not work at all. Only thing is try tracing the past owners, via Coast Guard via documentation if it was, good luck with that. I think I would just give him a low offer, and get it or leave it. Non of your things listed are deal killers for me, but there are a few issues. The Tartan 30 is a really good boat. Any boat that age is going to have issues, and it is is still floating. If the motor runs well, and sails are ok, and rigging is not too bad, I would get it if i thought it would serve my needs. They are pretty simple boats so if you are at all handy I don't see any big issues.

By the way I had a car that I know was totaled twice (once by me, but not my fault) and both times there was insurance claims and it showed up with a clean car fax when I got rid if it! So I don't trust car fax, and there have been other cases where is did not find damage or other history.
abrahamx likes this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 06-22-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2013

Mine today ! Thanks for all your help. Be back to bug you with other issues soon.
miatapaul and utchuckd like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.