Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: 1972 tartan 30

I bought Synergy without a sail trial. I normally don't recommend doing that (especially you are buying the boat with every penny that you have.) In my case money was put in escrow to cover the transmission and the depth sounder until we could test them, and then retuirned when they turned out to be in good shape.

We tested the engine by putting the engine cooling water intake hose in a bucket and ran a garden hose to the bucket to keep it full and so we were able to run the engine for about 15 minutes or so and look for issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
4' of soft decks and the rudder having elevated moisture levels aren't major problems?

The Tartan 30 and similar Yankee 30 do have good engine access.
I would say that those are comparatively minor problems on a forty year old, $9,000 Boat with a diesel and decent sails...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-18-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

[IMG]DSC_0009[/IMG]

First i sail on a boat with a 12 year old saltwater used Beta and that motor has clearly had TONS of water dripped on it OR the boat flooded at some point and rusted up the rear main seal causing the oil leak

DSC_0006

It is pretty common for stored boats to flood form snow over the winter and do something like this and the green wood mold is a sign of much wetness

Paying to Pull the motor to fix oil the leak is a budget buster and the boat cant be used like THAT

I tend to agree you will not do much better one question is how the survey will be written up and how your insurance would interpret it

For example if he says the wet area of deck is delaminated they could mandate a repair before the boat can be used

They would most certainly take issue with original standing rigging

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 06-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Just to add, the oil level is right in the middle of high and low, not under low. No idea of where he filled it to.
Old 06-18-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Just a note about oil leaks.. there have been a few discussions about crankcase breathers, blockage of and installed wrong.
Jus sayin

My boat is for sale.

Old 06-18-2013

OK, I am about to go mad. What is, no WTW is this stuff about crankcase breathers? Flippin A! I do agree about the engine apperance. Was the first thing I noted. Even mentioned it to the surveyor. Mentioned that it was more dirtier than what I was accustomed to and he just shruged it off.
Old 06-19-2013

I suppose the crankcase breather is a possibility. It it posssible that the owner filled the oil to half way between full and under full and it has not leaked any oil while on the hard. The oil in the bilge was dirty I am pretty sure. I do agree with the engine appearance. Just not sure how it would get wet being in the middle of the cabin unless it was dripping down the mast. The boat was nicely shrink wrapped. I guess its worth $200 to find out what the deal is.
Old 06-19-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

You seem cool with all the other issues on this boat so as was posted already run it on the hard to identify the source of the oil.
You will have to clean it up first but all you will have invested is some time, the oil in the bilge could be from a sloppy change...who knows.
Old 06-19-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

At the very least, run the engine on the hard, using a bucket of water for cooling.

Since it's located in the middle of the cabin, you can easily observe the engine for excess vibration, leaks, smoke, etc. While the engine is running, shine a powerful light onto "mating surfaces" like the cylinder head, intake and exhaust manifolds, thermostat housing, injectors, water pump, heat exchanger...anywhere that something could leak a gas or fluid.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-19-2013

I am trying to confirm but the survey from 06. Had the motor at 86 hours. A mechanic said its likely to have about 200 on it now. Hard to believe it could be shot. We shall see. Probably spring for the survey.
Old 06-19-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

It is hard to believe that it is shot unless it was run without oil, or cooling water at some point. Bad fuel and improper fuel filters can do a real number on the fuel injection system. (I once looked at a boat with a friend that the owner had removed the fuel filter from the system. When asked he said,"It was a pain in the neck, since it kept getting blocked up.") Injector parts are expensive even when bought at the farm store.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.