Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: West Marine makes enemies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I went out for errands and stopped in our Newport (Middletown) West Marine on my way to lunch. Browsed the entire store and left with basket full of odds and ends that I had no list to get. Best hour spent of my entire Monday.
Probably a lot of stuff you do not really need. I do the same thing- just don't tell the wife. But I guess it is better money spent than going to a strip bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

I pop in to WM now and then to pick up cheap items that I want that particular day (ss screws, cleaner, etc.) but definatey do NOT rely on the in-store staff for expertise. In my local area, most seem to know very little about sailing and the associated gear.

For anything more expensive or on a long-term to-do list, I shop online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Just updated my flares at West Marine using a $15 coupon. The old ones were 3 years out of date and previous owners flares still on the boat are 10 years out of date.

West Marine is like any other retail store, they stock to match the needs of their local market. If I want something not in stock they can order it or I can order on line and pick-up at the store without shipping charges.

Could they be better? Probably, but not my problem.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-04-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I like west marine alot. I'm glad to have a boat store in town. I know some places have good local stores but I haven't been into one yet. I think they are in cities but west marine has locations in places like port townsend; population 9000. Sure some stuff is overpriced, or at least priced where you could get it cheaper online, but what store front doesn't?
Old 06-04-2013

algee is on a distinguished road

When we lived in Northern Michigan,we looked forward to the 70 mile monthly trip to visit West Marine in Traverse City, in the middle of a Michigan winter. WM, combined with a couple hours at the book store, a nice lunch or dinner,and sometimes an overnighter, was enough to keep our dreams alive, and spirits up, for the long wait for Spring. Those were the days!

Now we live in sunny Florida with 2 WM within 10 minutes and I guess we don't appreciate it like we did back then, or maybe we just became old farts!

Be careful what you wish for.
Old 06-04-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
I'm not sure about that. The thing about brick and mortar is you have to pay for it. Some of the Ebay stores are people working out of a garage.
For those that buy on price alone, I agree that just taking the taxes out of the equation won't make an enormous difference. As you point out, it costs real cash money to have a store, whereas internet vendors only need to a wi-fi hot spot; they don't even need to ever touch the merchandise. They can almost always sell the thing for less because of their low overhead. If you know what you want and/or want to shop based on price alone, then you are going to almost always go with the internet. But I know there is at least one guy out there (me) who is always floating between buying on price alone and wanting to touch, feel and talk to someone about the merchandise. For me, no longer saving the 6.25% sales tax is going to make it more likely that I am going to make the trip to West Marine.
Old 06-04-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Are West Marine stores independently owned or does the "company" own them all? For a while here in Hawaii the local WM store had in store prices higher than the catalog. The higer price was to cover added shipping costs. A few weeks ago the store annouced their prices would be same as catalog. This is good. I was ordering on-line just to get a better price. Was wondering if WM did the price increase or the local francise- if there is one.

Also wonder on returns, does the local store care if you buy on-line from WM and return to a local WM store? I have done this without a problem, but does it cut into the local stores profit margin?
Casey,

As I understand it, ALL stores are corporate owned. You can find WM products in local chandlery's, that get supplied by WM and will match or in some cases, be a bit lower than WM.

Local store does not care if you order online, pickup at the store, as you will probably pay at that store upon pickup, so that $$ goes towards that mgrs sale volume.

Then as northoceanbeach says, sometimes WM is in smaller towns. Granted small stores. but PT is a largish town vs say Blaine wa, probably less than 3-5K people, Gig Harbor to name a couple of local smaller towns with WM's in them. The smaller stores frankly, probably finding a mgr or employee that knows something more is higher than larger stores. BUT, like ALL business's, there are smart people floating around, one needs to find them.

The quote if you are a hobby'est, one needs to know a lot! that is probably true. In my landscape biz, I have run into a few folks that have special interests in some plants, Rhody's, roses, iris's.....among some, to be frank, If I had to know ALL 5000 someodd varieties of rhodys, colors, shapes etc......along with ALL the varieties of Iris's, roses etc I'd be in school and forgetting more than I learned in school getting my two horticulture degree's!

In some cases, yes, we as buyers may know more than the person helping us, no matter the store we are in. BUT if that person is willing to learn, help you get the part, be happy!

Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.