Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013

brianc is on a distinguished road
Re: Docking with a spring line questions

tomandchris - thanks for the reply. I definitely don't want the starboard neighbor to have to worry!

Is the video you're talking about "Singlehanded Docking & Sail Trim"? I can't post links yet...not enough posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

I know it is out there in many different iterations. On Quantum I do think it is in the single handed docking segment.

If you google Capt. Jack Klang you will find a bunch of tips from him including the docking maneuvers.
Old 06-04-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

A simple way to find the optimal location for a mid ship spring line cleat is to attach a dock line to a stanchion base just past mid ship. Secure to a dock cleat, release the other dock lines and rock the boat back and forward, then move the dock line back to the next stanchion base back and repeat.

This will give you an idea of how much bow and stern swings out with a mid ship dock line only.
chef2sail and bljones like this.
Old 06-04-2013

Ward H is on a distinguished road

My slip faces into the prevailing wind, I dock bow in and have a finger pier on the port side and pilings to port and starboard at the stern.
Will a spring line on port side running a bit aft of mid boat to port stern piling work? That is my current plan but I am not in the water yet to test it.
Old 06-04-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Ward,

Not to get too cavalier about the whole thing, but think of using a springline as the Wile E. Coyote method of docking- come into the slip, drop the line over the cleat, wait a second and then per-WANG! your boat stops, and with some deft throttle and wheel/tiller work she'll snuggle up the dock leaving nearby Searay pilots in awe. so, to make all of this work all impressive like- the line has to be at or aft of the widest part of the boat. imagine the physics, and you will understand why. if your wile e coyote acme dock cleat catcher is too far forward, when she goes per-WANG! your boat will nose into the corner of the slip. Too far back and she will nose into the OTHER corner of the slip, or, worse, your slipneighbour's boat.

knot a temporary spring to the right length or thereabouts, secure it to a hard point at or aft of the widest part of the vessel and PRACTICE.

Now, much of the advice above is predicated on having a crew member handling the springline- you can do it singlehanded but the degree of difficulty depends upon boatcleat and piling and dock cleat placement. running a bannister line or a snag to your springline to allow deployment from the cockpit may be necessary. Still doable, but it takes a little more thought and more practice.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2013

bljones,
Sounds great and just what I need as most of the time I will be single handling.

Here is my question. Will this work if you are docking against a short finger pier that only extends back about 1/4 boat length?
Old 06-05-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

is there a piling further out from the finger?
If not, spring line assisted docking is going to be an impossibility with a finger that short.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Ward, with the short finger pier it really depends where the touch point is on the boat. I would assume there is something fairly solid so it depends on where it hits the boat and what is in the way.

Dependent on your piling at the stern this is easy or simple single handling. I also single hand most of the time, and even with new crew I single hand back into my slip because I know how it works. In my case with floating docks I drop a pre measured line over the piling at the end of the dock. I have cleats on the dock but the piling is the easiest target and harder to miss. The key is really controlling speed into the slip. Dependent on the wind I am at 2 knots into a hard wind or with one pushing me, or less than a knot in light winds, when I drop my line over the piling.

If you piling is high I would find something strong to attach to it ( a cleat or hook) to make it easier to catch.

Although I use the same mid ship line in almost every situation, in some transient slips the point of contact on the dock can be more difficult. For my home slip I have a long line that is premarked for my rear cleat. I run the line from the mid ship cleat, outside of the life lines, and back to the stern cleat... again outside. That leaves me a large amount of line to drop over the piling and then I use the line to slow the boat by hand until I reapply power and snug it into the dock. The boat is in complete control before I think about stepping off the boat.

My spring line is set so that the boat, when in idle and in gear, is six inches from hitting the dock. In that way I can easily reattach the bow lines, which I leave tied at the dock, and then reverse the boat to attach the stern lines.

I had a gentleman stop at the boat the other day while I was aboard. He had seen me pull into the slip after launch and wanted to know how I was in control and not frantic, as he had a new to him boat and was having issues with our slips. I explained the system that I use and I saw him coming in the other day and applying the same system. He definetely had it down.
Old 06-05-2013

Yes, there are pilings on both sides as I enter the slip, which I tie the port and starboard stern lines to. The slip is for a 30'r so with my 25'r the transom is inside of the pilings.
I will use the piling on the same side as the finger pier for the bitter end of the spring line. As I enter the slip I will pick the loop of the spring line off the piling and put it over the winch, to start. The winch is about even with the forward bulkhead of the cockpit. I can play with other locations and when I find the sweet spot I will install a cleat.
I was just not sure if the mid to aft of the mid of the boat needs to snug against the pier.

T&C
The finger pier is sturdy with the end on a piling. My lines will remain attached to the pilings or dock so I just need to pick the loop of the piling and put over the winch/cleat, then wait for the bow end to snug against the pier.

I have only docked this boat 4 times last fall. First time I was bouncing off things like a ping pong ball. (No other boats, just pilings and bulkhead). The last time I just eased it in real pretty. But I need a sure fire way to dock easily in all conditions and this sure sounds like what I need.

Last edited by Ward H; 06-05-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2013

jfdubu is on a distinguished road

I guess I kinda got lost, is this about stopping a boat in a slip with a single spring line or holding a boat in a slip with a single spring line.
To hold a boat against a dock with a single spring its an easy force balance and having the sail drive far from the rudder is a big factor. You need the prop wash against the rudder to push the stern into the dock while the spring line holds the bow. Yes, the reason you need 1800 rpm's is because the prop is far from the rudder and by the time the moving water gets to the rudder it need the energy to push the boat. I use this technique all the time for quick stops at the pump out or loading /unloading. And BTW, this has almost no chance of working in reverse.

John
bljones likes this.