Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013

Ei Leen is on a distinguished road
South Jersey anyone?

New sailor looking for inland bodies of water good for learning to sail. A lake would be nice. I live in Gloucester County. I have a 17' daysailer.
Also looking for experienced people willing to go out with me a few times.
I've tried the club route and not getting any satisfaction. Have not been able to get out on the water yet this season and am extremely disappointed and frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: South Jersey anyone?

Welcome! I grew up in Gloucester Township (not county), but I'm familiar with your general area. The problem you'll encounter is that there really aren't many "big" lakes in that area. There are Timber, Victory, and Sunset in the southeastern corner of the county, and Malaga lake and Scotland Run, but they all suffer from the same problem - they are only moderately long, and are pretty narrow. So, if the wind isn't coming from the correct direction, you'll be doing a lot of tacking, and not a lot of sailing. If the boat is on a trailer, I'd consider taking it down to the Pennsville area, to Union Lake near Millville, or down to the shore. The bays along the shore would be great for a 17'.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2013

5hortBu5 is on a distinguished road

There's a free public boat launch on the Cooper River near the Cooper River Yacht club in Pennsauken. Had no problems getting my 14' javelin in there, and the CRYC plays with hunter 17s, so boats your size are pretty common. It is a bit long and narrow in places, but it's a pretty chill, fun place to sail on days when rowing crew races aren't happening.
Old 06-04-2013
Me at 61! (Studio Shot)

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Ei Leen check in with Riverton YC in Riverton consider joining one of the 29 YCs on the Delaware. There is also a sailing school and I think boat rentals in Toms River.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

+1 on the upper Delaware. We used to sail our Catalina 22 out of Winters marina in Riverside.

For a bigger lake check out Lake Nockamixon in PA, probably a little over an hour from you.

I think you'll find conditions at the Jersey shore a little much for your 17 footer on all but the calmest mornings, not to mention lots of boat wakes.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-04-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I think you'll find conditions at the Jersey shore a little much for your 17 footer on all but the calmest mornings, not to mention lots of boat wakes.
I sailed my GP 14 in and around the Somers Point/Beasley's Point area (where Cape May and Atlantic County meet) and the boat wakes were obnoxious. I swear some of them -try- to swamp or spray you

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 06-04-2013

What lakes are near Pennsville?
Old 06-04-2013

Actually, CRYC is the club I joined. I work two jobs and my free hours don't align with their lesson times. Need lessons in order to qualify to use the club boats. Not interested in trailering my 17' up Rte 130 traffic every time I want to sail, it.
Old 06-04-2013

The Hunters are awesome. Have sailed one at CRYC a couple times with a friend. When ISNT the rowing team practicing?
Old 06-04-2013

Eventually the boat will end up at the shore in Brigantine. The smaller back bays are not bad but I thought I should get some practice on safer waters before I try it. Does anyone know if Lakes Bay in AC is sail-able?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.