Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013

shumphries is on a distinguished road
Celebrity 20ft Fiberglass hull 1977.

Hi Folks. I have just purchased a 1977 Celebrity 20 Fiberglass hull sailboat. Yep its in need of "woodwork". There are four cross ribs that support the slats allowing a "drier" sailboat when sailing. These ribs have rotted.
Question. Are they specific type ribs or can they be generic and found elsewhere. If not I will try to remove from the boat inside bottom and replicate myself.
Question. How is the wood bonded/glued to the fiberglass inside bottom. Any suggestions would be wonderful...Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Celebrity 20ft Fiberglass hull 1977.

Were they exposed wood? or "encapsulated" ? in which case they would be called "timbers or stringers" some people call them ribs also. Anyway.. the easist way to make new is by ripping strips of wood that are the width + about 1/2" and about a 1/8-1/4 inch thick. you will need enough of this to make the height of the originals . You can flex bend the first 2 or 3 and use epoxy to glue them but with wax paper between the 1st strip. Use sticks clamps and boards across the hull to hold the strips in place until the epoxy cures. then you can continue in place or take them out and "build" more strips on the inside of the curve. Another way is to steam bend white oak, and force the bend down on the inside and like above use whatever you can to hold them in place. Use 3m 5200 if you use oak.. mahogany cherry, walnut, cypress, will stick with epoxy.

In all cases the boat hull is your "form" you will have to come up with ways to bend or make bent ribs to retore it.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2013

Whoaa Denise I have a boat builder on the line !!!..
Thanks so much for the detailed response, I will inwardly digest your advice and take action !..if I am capable..
Denise, one out of the five was infact 'encapsulated", so it appears a long time ago someone else had problems.
Maybe there are professionals around that can do this part of the project for me !...Regards and thanks so much,
Steve J. Humphries
Old 06-05-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

hee hee thanks.. I've studied boats most of my life. Pay a pro to to fix a 1977 boat? It's really not all that difficult for a DIY. Photos of your project would help.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2013

Thanks so much Denise, I will take some detailed pics tomorrow and send them to you, (this address)..I am way out of my "depth" in this subject, as I fly aircraft for a living ...
Steve ..
Old 06-06-2013
Lies about her age

What most of us do Steve, is put photos in an online sever. I use photobucket, then copy and paste the direct link to a photo by using the photo insert feature in the page icons.

Sounds like you have "rotted stringers" Not an easy fix on a big boat but on yours.. should be easy enough.

my current "project"!
Old 06-06-2013

Hi Denise, I am fearless about this project !!
Its raining here today in Raleigh and I leave tomorrow for a weeks trip so I will take pics then and post as you suggest.
Thanks so much for communicating. Steve
Old 06-06-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Check out this link about Celebrity class boats: Celebrity Class sailboats - SailboatOwners.com
Good luck with the project. These boats are well worth restoring.
Old 06-06-2013
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road

I'll agree with Denise on the "It's not that hard to DIY" comment. Things like this used to scare me to, until I started doing them. It's really not that hard, and if you DO mess it up, it's not that hard to tear it out and do it again. Even if it takes a few tries to get it right, it's still cheaper then hiring it done and the feeling of accomplishment will be well worth the time. Every time you show someone and tell them what you did, you'll feel much better if you did it yourself

Add your location to your profile, and perhaps you'll even get lucky enough to find someone experienced and local willing to come by and give some pointers or lend a hand. It's been known to happen around here
Old 06-06-2013
Lies about her age

Well Steve here's what you be missing if you don't get work! LOL

my current "project"!