Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Dinghy and Engine Hoist

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our boat will be repaired some time in the next few weeks. With that in mind, I've been considering the various use cases we're contemplating, and the biggest one is to sail across the bay and anchor just off/at Tice's Shoal, then take the dinghy in the rest of the way. We'll then go to the beach, play for a while, then head back to the marina.

So, now I'm left with figuring out:
a) how to get off the boat and into the inflatable dinghy (preferably gracefully);
b) how to hook the dinghy to the davits that are on the boat;
c) whether I need to remove the engine before hoisting the dinghy via the davits; and,
d) if I need to hoist without the engine, how best to get the engine aboard.

I know I can row/paddle the dinghy to shore, but I have a 5 HP engine, and I have a feeling my kids will enjoy tooling around the bay for a few minutes aboard a comparatively faster vessel than our Allmand. If they have fun, then they'll want to do it more often, which means we get to sail more, too. So, I'm inclined to figure out how to use the engine.

As I said, I may be able to keep it attached to the boat. If not, it's a 5HP Nissan, and I think it weighs about 55 LBS. Not bad, but probably too heavy for my wife to handle efficiently, or for me to try to handle single-handed. My boat came with the mount and ring for a removable engine hoist (similar to the Forespar MotorMate), but I haven't seen the hoist itself (it may have been part of a separate transaction and wasn't included with the boat). So, if you have a dinghy on davits, do you keep your engine attached or do you separate them? If you separate them, how do you get your dinghy aboard? I've seen people use block and tackle attached to the boom where the boom is off to the side, and that looks like it could work, but if there's a simpler/more elegant way to do it that would be easy for me single-handed, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for any feedback!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy and Engine Hoist

On my ex's boat we had davits and always removed the motor from the dinghy before hoisting the dink up. We had a Forespar hoist for the motor which worked very well. We bought the heavy duty Forespar with the idea it would be helpful if one of us were trying to get the injured other out of the water.
We stored the motor on a mount we had welded onto the pushpit.
Old 06-06-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Are you sure about the motor weight? Most of the newer 5-HP motors are not that heavy, therefore, a simple carry strap attached to the motor will allow you to just lift if from the dinghy and pass it to someone onboard.

As for getting aboard the dinghy, I used my swim ladder, which is mounted on the side of the boat. Getting on and off the dinghy was easy. The only problem I found was because the boat is very lightweight, just under 100 pounds, it was a bit intimidating at first, at least for this 72-year-old man. It's not as easily as the younger folks make it look.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 06-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Gary,
I looked it up on the Nissan web site before I posted it, but I just looked up the weight of a 5HP, not specifically MY engine.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Even if it's not 55 pounds; a straight lift as such can be tough. At worst, find a post that fits the socket you intimated is still there and pick up a cheap sportsman's block set at HF for like $9.99. Hoist it up with that ad see if it works well enuff to warrant spending big(ger) bux on a dedicate set of "sailing" blocks. Alternatively..what's available on the davits now? Perhaps use half (one side..or both??) of the existing set-up to hoist and stow the motor first...THEN haul up the dink????

HTH,
Paul
Old 06-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Paul, thanks for the feedback. The big problem with the davits right now is that they don't pivot, and they hang out pretty far from the boat. Otherwise, yes, the davits would be the logical and easiest solution!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We hang our 11.5 ft RIB with console and 18hp motor from the davits. It makes me nervous, but has never budged. I suppose it depends on the load rating of your davits. Mine are rated for approx 200 lbs more than I am carrying, but I would suggest 2x, if you can.

The biggest concern is swamping the dink, while underway. I'll bet it would take 100 gallons, which itself would weigh more than the davits can bear. If I was crossing to Bermuda, it would not be back there. Coastal is another story.

p.s. putting a motor on and off can be a drag and will limit its usage to some degree. YMMV.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Are you sure about the motor weight? Most of the newer 5-HP motors are not that heavy, therefore, a simple carry strap attached to the motor will allow you to just lift if from the dinghy and pass it to someone onboard.

As for getting aboard the dinghy, I used my swim ladder, which is mounted on the side of the boat. Getting on and off the dinghy was easy. The only problem I found was because the boat is very lightweight, just under 100 pounds, it was a bit intimidating at first, at least for this 72-year-old man. It's not as easily as the younger folks make it look.

Good luck,

Gary
Nissan or Tahatsu ( same engines) 5 hp 4 stroke weighs 58 lbs. The same 2 stroke weight is 40 lbs, The new 4 strokes are heavier not lighter.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our boat will be repaired some time in the next few weeks. With that in mind, I've been considering the various use cases we're contemplating, and the biggest one is to sail across the bay and anchor just off/at Tice's Shoal, then take the dinghy in the rest of the way. We'll then go to the beach, play for a while, then head back to the marina.

So, now I'm left with figuring out:
a) how to get off the boat and into the inflatable dinghy (preferably gracefully);
b) how to hook the dinghy to the davits that are on the boat;
c) whether I need to remove the engine before hoisting the dinghy via the davits; and,
d) if I need to hoist without the engine, how best to get the engine aboard.

I know I can row/paddle the dinghy to shore, but I have a 5 HP engine, and I have a feeling my kids will enjoy tooling around the bay for a few minutes aboard a comparatively faster vessel than our Allmand. If they have fun, then they'll want to do it more often, which means we get to sail more, too. So, I'm inclined to figure out how to use the engine.

As I said, I may be able to keep it attached to the boat. If not, it's a 5HP Nissan, and I think it weighs about 55 LBS. Not bad, but probably too heavy for my wife to handle efficiently, or for me to try to handle single-handed. My boat came with the mount and ring for a removable engine hoist (similar to the Forespar MotorMate), but I haven't seen the hoist itself (it may have been part of a separate transaction and wasn't included with the boat). So, if you have a dinghy on davits, do you keep your engine attached or do you separate them? If you separate them, how do you get your dinghy aboard? I've seen people use block and tackle attached to the boom where the boom is off to the side, and that looks like it could work, but if there's a simpler/more elegant way to do it that would be easy for me single-handed, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for any feedback!
All of this is a depends question.

Depends on how robust the davits are. We have Gerhauer 11/4" davits rated at 265 per arm or 530 lbs. total. We put them in ourselves with huge backing plates and supporting stanchions. It easily carries our dinghy a Walker Bay Odyssey and a 4 hp Tahatsu engine) which weighs a total of 72+52 lbs. I personally wouldn't want rotating davits.

Depends on your usage whether you use it all the time or only once in a while. The more its on the davits the more you use it. We keep ours on the davits unless we are traveling in the ocean.

We have a radar pole with separate engine hoist ( also Gerhauer) to take the engine off easily. The engine has a bridal to make it easy. The engine then get placed on a pad on the back rail.

As Minnie said its necessary to tied it in so it doesn't swing and our dinghy and motor combo with ratchet straps doesn't move even an inch under way.
I also have cover to prevent UV damage and a $1 inflated ball so rain slides off the cover. Always leave the drain plug open. I like that the gas is in the dinghy and not on the boat.

When we ocean travel we merely use our spinnaker halyard and attach it to the bow ring of the dinghy and lift it over the lifelines. I deflate it and tie it down in front of the mast. We have a easy electric inflator to inflate.

What type of dinghy do you have? is it a 4 stroke or 2 stroke? What is the weigh limit in the dinghy? You have 58 + gas already on it.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-07-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

On my Gemini we left the 5 hp Nissan 2 stroke attached to the dinghy and hoisted with a 4:1 on the Kato marine davits, no problem - even got lazy and did the same with the 8 hp 2 stroke at times.

Jim, a 5hp won't plane much of a dinghy unless like my Nissan you have upgraded the prop. I can plane my 9'6" RIB with just me in it if I lean wayyyy forward to get it up.
Also, the kids have to get a boating certificate to run anything with an engine.