Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Work gets in the way...

This year my wife and I started working toward our dream of living aboard. After years of chartering, we decided it was time to no longer be a passenger. We recently earned our ASA certification s in Basic Keelboat, Coastal Cruising, and Bareboat chartering. I am also currently working on my ASA Navigation certification. We chose a school that specializes in one-on-one private instruction of couples. We lived aboard with our husband/wife instructors while sailing through the Florida Keys. Needless to say, I feel it was worth every penny. There's just no way we could have gotten that much helm time and personal instruction in a class setting.

To supplement our training, we bought a small sloop rigged day sailer (American 14.6) to continue our personal practice and because every capt I have ever talked to says a boat like this is the best way to build more intuition and "feel" for larger boats.

So here we are. Last week we had amazing weather and had a perfect day of sailing. Nice wind, nice sun, and a whole day of pure relaxing enjoyment sailing our little boat. Lunch in a small cove at anchor, tunes on the radio, and cold ones in the cooler....

Here lies the problem. I am away for work 14+ hours a day with traffic (CT sucks) so forget about getting out midweek. All I can think about is getting to the weekend to get out in the boat with my wife again.... but it's a washout this weekend. Another work week between us and sailing... Ugh. I literally can't think of anything but cruising along on a nice reach, hearing the waves against the hull, and the tiller gently tugging leeward. I think I've reached an unhealthy obsession and work in getting in the way of it!
srqsailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Work gets in the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
This year my wife and I started working toward our dream of living aboard. After years of chartering, we decided it was time to no longer be a passenger. We recently earned our ASA certification s in Basic Keelboat, Coastal Cruising, and Bareboat chartering. I am also currently working on my ASA Navigation certification. We chose a school that specializes in one-on-one private instruction of couples. We lived aboard with our husband/wife instructors while sailing through the Florida Keys. Needless to say, I feel it was worth every penny. There's just no way we could have gotten that much helm time and personal instruction in a class setting.

To supplement our training, we bought a small sloop rigged day sailer (American 14.6) to continue our personal practice and because every capt I have ever talked to says a boat like this is the best way to build more intuition and "feel" for larger boats.

So here we are. Last week we had amazing weather and had a perfect day of sailing. Nice wind, nice sun, and a whole day of pure relaxing enjoyment sailing our little boat. Lunch in a small cove at anchor, tunes on the radio, and cold ones in the cooler....

Here lies the problem. I am away for work 14+ hours a day with traffic (CT sucks) so forget about getting out midweek. All I can think about is getting to the weekend to get out in the boat with my wife again.... but it's a washout this weekend. Another work week between us and sailing... Ugh. I literally can't think of anything but cruising along on a nice reach, hearing the waves against the hull, and the tiller gently tugging leeward. I think I've reached an unhealthy obsession and work in getting in the way of it!
ha ha

you are infected

welcome to the funny farm

you are now unemployable

Dylan
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 06-06-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

My best recommendation is to take a 8-month leave of absence beginning in mid September, cruise south to the Florida Keys, which will take about 7 weeks from CT, spend some time in Marathon, Key West, The Dry Tortugas, Marquesses Keys, then head back north sometime in early April. If at the end of that cruise you both loved every minute of it, and you're still married to the same person, then, and only then, start looking for a good live-aboard boat. Also, don't forget the cost of cruising, which translates into about $1,000 a month for a couple that anchors out. Triple that if you intend to marina hop.

Good luck,

Gary
kd3pc likes this.
Old 06-06-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hahaha... welcome to the club. It is terminal, and will get worst. It is a good thing that your wife is sailing with you..... lucky man

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-06-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Yup, no cure. Nothing to do now but make a hasty exit from land bound life and get a bigger boat. I hear No Name Harbor calling you, time to make an island hop.
Old 06-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Why do you think so many of us hang out here? This is as close as we get to sailing on a daily basis. At least here, others understand the addiction.
Minnewaska likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-06-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Yeah, well welcome the club! It sucks, that describes my situation over the last 12 months exactly! Unfortunately it only gets worse. My wife and I are in a two year count down to anchors up. Not sure how I am going to make it. And if you get obsessed by reading all the blogs out there of people doing what you want to do, it will just make things worse. I am trying to find my way through this morass also, good luck. Let me know if you come up with anything.
Old 06-06-2013

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road

buy a trailer sailer

I know it sounds crazy but.... hear me out

the boat is in the drive... you can stroke it every time you go past

it really helps

you can go and explore new places

it does not hog money when not being used

you can practice living in a small space and you really, really learn how to sail

Dylan
kellysails likes this.

Old 06-06-2013

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road

+100 on all that

We sailed nearly 100 days last year and it just was not enough... stoopid job, pesky kids...

I mean, last weekend, we just reached down the Pamlico, then back up... seems kinda silly when you think about it, but it's the best... can't get over it.
Old 06-06-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road
Preaching to the choir. I sail almost daily, my office is about a mile from the harbor and i can see my boat from my office window (sort of, it's a little blob in the harbor that i can spot based on it's proximity to a boat with a bright orange sail cover). I still find myself taking the tender out at lunch for forty minutes and tinkering with something. I can't stay away for even a few hours before I'm itching to get back! A whole week would kill me!
Sal Paradise likes this.