Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013

Versicolor is on a distinguished road
Towing a Capri 16 with a Subaru outback?

Hey everyone,
I am about to go look at a fixed-keel Capri/Catalina 16 and was wondering what you guys think about the towability/launchability of this boat with my 1999 subaru outback legacy.
The boat's specs are,
-Length 16'5"
-Draft 2' 5'' wing keel
-Beam 6'11"
-Ballast, Cast Lead Keel 450 lbs
-Displacement 1,350 lbs

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing a Capri 16 with a Subaru outback?

I think the tow capacity is 2000 lbs, so, with nothing in the boat you should do OK. Auto transmission will be better than manual. AWD will help on slippery ramps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barquito For This Useful Post:
Versicolor (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013

Ok, the tow specs do say 2000lbs, the transmission is manual, and it is AWD.
But, that is without thinking about the P-1600 trailer and 3 people in the car.
And, it's a 2hr drive away.
Maybe I should look for a lighter boat?
Old 06-07-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Hang on a sec.. Outback or Legacy? What engine do you have - the 4 or the 6??

I managed to tow a Hartley TS18 (bit over 1 tonne incl trailer) quite happily for many years using a Subaru Liberty 2.5 - basically the same car as your Outback over there. With trailer brakes it's rated for around 3000lbs and the AWD and huge low-down torque of the Subaru meant that slippery ramps were the least of my problems!

The more people you have in the car, the better and 2hrs is just a short hop for us. If you do have an Outback I doubt you'd have any trouble towing something as light-weight as a Capri 16.. just make sure you've got brakes on the trailer - that's all.

Last edited by Classic30; 06-07-2013 at 12:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic30 For This Useful Post:
Versicolor (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013

Thanks!
My car is a 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual.
The thing is, the trailer doesn't have brakes.
Old 06-07-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versicolor View Post
Thanks!
My car is a 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual.
The thing is, the trailer doesn't have brakes.
Righto.. So it's rated for 2700lbs with brakes (check your manual to confirm this, but that's what it should be if you've got the factory tow pack). In my experience, the car will handle the towing and ramp part no problem but, even though the Subaru has excellent brakes, stopping in a hurry with a car-load of people might be an issue with no trailer brakes and certainly won't do the car any favours in any case.

Any local trailer repair centre should be able to fit either electric or hydraulic brakes on the trailer for hopefully not a lot of money. You should not need to make any modifications to the car to do this. Check with them first and add that to the cost of buying the boat.

Good luck!
Versicolor (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

The sueby has a lower rating here in the states and canada than the REST of the world by about 1000 lbs LOWER! Frankly, I would suspect the sueby would do just fine yanking that trailer around for the most part, UNLESS you are doing this here in NA in the 6-10K foot level, then one will be down some 20-30% of its HP due to altitude loss, assuming the motor is not super charged.

Some cases, a manual will be the better trans than the auto. Others, the auto is better. My old truck, and even my current GM, the manual while having a lower tow rating, the overall low, gradability etc is BETTER with the manual. IE the what it takes to get the rig moving! The auto one does not have to worry about slipping a clutch sometimes to get going........

If it were me, I'd give it a shot, if it does not work, ie too slow for you......well deal with it, or get a rig with a larger motor! If the larger motor is rated to tow the lbs of the boat and trailer, then reality is, the smaller motor will do it safely also, just slower up hills etc.

I would also recomend brakes, as long as you will be over the gvw of the rig, as then the reality is, you are out of braking power for the tow rig. Be it a Forester, or a 1 ton dully like I drive!

Marty
The Following User Says Thank You to blt2ski For This Useful Post:
Versicolor (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Marty's right.. but you should be able to tow a 16ft yacht of pretty-much any description behind a 2.5l Subaru.

In my experience, 18ft is borderline.. and anything much larger and you'll need a tow-vehicle upgrade (ie. all of a sudden, that really-cheap trailer-yacht becomes an expensive tow-vehicle-plus-a-really-cheap-yacht)
Versicolor (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

The standard is really helpful when on the road. Keep her down in 4th on hills and watch the temp, make sure the oil is full, I think it will be fine.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal Paradise For This Useful Post:
Versicolor (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Yeah the legacy outback I think is severely underrated... I would definitely consider adding brakes to the trailer though, just go carefully. I had the same model scoobie, loaded it up with 1100lbs of gear, towed my 14.2 loaded up with another 500lbs of gear.. we were good (mind you, we had more weight in the car than you, so the ride was likely better). That 2.5 flat 4 is bulletproof (once you add bar's leaks to the radiator for the leaky heads).

The Capri 16 is a fairly rare little boat. It was sandwiched between the 14.2 dinghy, and the 16.5 dinghy... Like many of the Capri's it was kind of "lost" in many of the timelines for the Catalina boat history (like the 25, the 30, and the 37). Few people are aware that Capri made an equivalent to the venerable Compac 16 (that sailed a bit faster). Precision makes the 165 still, which is similar.

I looked all over for the 16 when I was digging around for something bigger than my 142, and couldn't find one, considered a P165.

Kudos on a neat little trailer sailor. For those wondering what they look like:
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHNOOL For This Useful Post:
Versicolor (06-07-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.