Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Depth of Chesapeake City Free Docks

If the weather clears as expected, I am still hoping to cruise down to the Chesapeake Bay starting tomorrow (one day later than planned). Our first overnight stopover will be Chesapeake City. We'll anchor if we have to, but I'd prefer to tie up overnight at their free dock. I've tied up at their floating bulkhead before, but that is often filled to capacity on weekends. The city maintains additional slips just around the corner from that, and they are often vacant, partly because they're less visible to boaters who don't know about them:

39.52657,-75.811351 - Google Maps

Do any of you know the depths in those slips? The finger piers are plenty long for my 25' boat, but I need almost 4' of water at low tide. The tidal swing there looks to be about 2.5'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-07-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Depth of Chesapeake City Free Docks

Thanks for the tip about the additional slips! Enjoy the trip! What time do you expect to hit CC? I'm headed to Rock Hall tomorrow to do some little stuff on the boat and may be able to lend a hand when you dock.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Rick you won't have any problems in the cove or at the docks. Even before they dredged, my 5ft draft only hit mud when entering or leaving. I learned later to only come in and out close to the seawall and docks. Chart 12277

My boat is for sale.
Old 06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Rick you won't have any problems in the cove or at the docks. Even before they dredged, my 5ft draft only hit mud when entering or leaving. I learned later to only come in and out close to the seawall and docks. Chart 12277
Which of the slips has better/worse depth?

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 06-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Ride the current through and anchor in the Bohemia ( you don't draw much ) or the Sassafras at Betterton. Why fight the canal two days?

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Thanks for the tip about the additional slips! Enjoy the trip! What time do you expect to hit CC? I'm headed to Rock Hall tomorrow to do some little stuff on the boat and may be able to lend a hand when you dock.
Jim, it would be great to meet up. I hope to leave at 7 (against the current), hit the canal entrance by 1, and ride with the current through to Ches City by 3. However, if it's a nice day, it's possible that we would decide to keep on sailing down to Bohemia or further, so I can't guarantee. Let me do some more planning this evening and see where we might go.

Old 06-07-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I've never seen the free slips unoccupied LOL
chef2sail likes this.

My boat is for sale.
Old 06-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Jim, it would be great to meet up. I hope to leave at 7 (against the current), hit the canal entrance by 1, and ride with the current through to Ches City by 3. However, if it's a nice day, it's possible that we would decide to keep on sailing down to Bohemia or further, so I can't guarantee. Let me do some more planning this evening and see where we might go.

Wont be much sailing on this trip till you get out of the C&D near the Bohemia and even then winds look light for the Northern Chesapeake thru Tuesday.

Looks like a long scenic motor ride of 8-10 hours.

Jimgo....you are invited if you feel like stopping by the MYC for our Sailnet Rondevous. Starts at 6 PM.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Wont be much sailing on this trip till you get out of the C&D near the Bohemia and even then winds look light for the Northern Chesapeake thru Tuesday.

Looks like a long scenic motor ride of 8-10 hours.

Jimgo....you are invited if you feel like stopping by the MYC for our Sailnet Rondevous. Starts at 6 PM.
10 mph westerlies on Saturday means we'll have very nice flatwater sailing on the Delaware River. No motor required, except maybe the first hour when we're against both current and wind in Essington. But south of Marcus Hook we should have good sail power with no need to tack.

Motoring is required in the canal, so that goes without saying, no matter what the forecast. At least it will be with the current so we can scoot through very fast.

Old 06-07-2013

Last time I was in the canal I had a tailwind, so I put up my jib to give me a little boost. A USCG boat took a good look while he was passing (presumably to verify that my motor was running), but continued without stopping me.

What is the actual rule for this? I know that motor power is required. But is there a specific rule against having a sail up for supplemental power if the wind is from the right direction? I know I wasn't pulled over before, but I want to make sure it doesn't happen next time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.