Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Tornadoes and boats...

If we could get to a sturdy low windowless concrete structure, I would. (Our marina's bathhouse restrooms come to mind.) Otherwise, I trust our boat as a second choice.

We were in? near? a small tornado once while we were anchored along the ICW in North Carolina one spring and it was SCARY, even more so in retrospect. Here is my blog post about it written shortly after it occurred: Life Afloat Archives: What was THAT??!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I wouldn't put money on that. Tornadoes have been know to lift a semi tractor trailer right off the ground & launch them into space. Some of the trucks this has happened to have weighed in at 80,000 pounds.

When it comes to stuff like this, it's just luck of the draw. There really is no safe place to hide.
80,000 is the max weight for a normal tractor Trailer, but remember this, I have driven commercial. A good wind can knock a tractor Trailer over. It is not just the flat surfaces that get a trailer, but the fact that the weight is up high -and- the air can get beneath it.

A boat is none of that.

While the boat is lighter, it takes more effort to suck something out of the water. H20 has an amazing ability to keep things stuck to it. Aside from the rig (which would go flying right away) boats are low to the water and usually have as little windage as possible. and the weight is way down low.

Water also tends to slow down Tornados as they get soggy with water working it's way up the funnel.

The real danger would be getting holed. Either by your dock or by debris. If it ripped your mast and rigging off and sent it flying, what about some other boat's mast? There are just too many variables

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 06-08-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
A few years ago we were anchored on the Rhode River/Chesapeake Bay when a tornado warning came across the radio. It was a Sunday evening so the anchorage was empty by this time. It was scary, what do we do I wondered. I wasn't about to get everyone into the dingy and go ashore, to what anyway, the anchorage shore line is just wooded area with no structures except maybe one house that probably doesn't have a basement.

The warning said there was significant rotation approaching the West/Rhode river area, never did see a tornado thank God, but IIRCC I heard there had been some signs of a small tornado the next day just to the South of us.

I mostly spent the time trying to keep everyone calm, including myself

If I was in a Marina I would have tried to seek a structure. If at our Marina/club I would head for the bathrooms most likely. If at anchor I would start the engine, PDF on, and maybe clip in below just in case it tried to rip the deck off. I would prepare to be holed with tarp/scrap wood/ etc ready to deploy after if possible, throw all the cushions onto the Cabin sole and everyone get under them to try and protect from flying debris. I would radio our location to the CG and hope for the best. That about all I can think of.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 06-08-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

About 3 years ago, I received an email from my yard that a tornado had hit our marina and we should come check out our vessels. Upon arriving, I found that it had ripped my bimini off and bent the stainless frame. It had also bent the steel collar that attaches the finger dock to the outer pole. Other than that I suffered no other damage. It was a pretty narrow strike zone several boats on either side of me had lost all canvas, a few antenna's etc. I don't recall seeing a report of the wind strength, I'm guessing it was a 1.

It was the 1st time, I had left the Bimini up after a sail. I remember saying, I'll come back tomorrow to close it up. The dodger was unaffected. Were I there, I'd probably would have headed for the block house restrooms.
Old 06-08-2013

Ruby Vee is on a distinguished road

If you had tried to seek shelter on dry land immediately, maybe that may have been the best option. But by the time you've debated the idea a bit, it may have been too late. I'm not sure I'd want to be running down a flimsy dock to the dubious shelter of a marina rest room knowing that there was a tornado on the way, anyway.

I grew up in the midwest, and was in a barn when it came down around us. Tornadoes are scary! At night, you can't even see them coming. I've also been driving along a lake front, watching in the rear view mirror as a tornado pulled up all the docks and twisted them into spirals. Not sure I'd want to be in a boat, either.

It's a conundrum! I think I'd hang tight and pray.
Old 06-08-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I just sailed NY to FL and encountered a couple of waterspout warnings. Front after front moved through in May. Never saw one but certainly made me nervous. If caught in a boat in a tornado or spout, it could certainly knock you down, even under bare poles so one part of the plan would have to be to get hatches all battened down, boards in. Also, jackets on and clipped in, engine running to try keeping head to wind. Attached picture is just outside Norfolk. Not only did I have this nasty TS to deal with (moments later, I had ski goggles on, wind blowing 40) but there was a warship and sub exiting and a tanker behind...eeek!
Attached Thumbnails
Tornadoes and boats...-norfolksky.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Having experienced tornado's first hand, and seeing the damage they can do, when my classical music kept getting interrupted Friday (wee hours of the morning), I just sat tight on the boat. From what I was told, many went up to the Hotel here at the Marina. Of course, in my case, I had no responsibility for anyone other than myself.

My thinking was basically, if it's gonna get me on the boat, the hotel's probably toast as well.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-08-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Sail-World.com : Tornado's direct hit destroys marina and 250 boats
Old 06-08-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

There is only one place when a big one hits your ground zero...underground. Otherwise if it's a small one, the boat might not be a bad place.
Old 06-08-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

do not count on 28000 pounds displacement staying put in a tornado--if a durbeck 47 can make it over 50 miles into a tree in a furycame, 28000 pounds is nada---good luck with that thinking---might wanna figger out how to more than double tie your boat to something other than a mooring which will break away--seen that happen in less than 50 kts winds....wasnt cute....and make sure all lines are doubled--moorings--double line an dextra anchors when needed--keep em ready to deploy, if not already done so.
find mangroves and go there--baffled channels and places that do not suffer strong surge and currents...
also watch overhead--isnt always the surge and seas that hurt--is what the f is flying in the wind---tiles, coconuts, trees, fridges, cars...bicycles, people, cows..you name it can fly in weird winds of furycames and tornadoes and water spouts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.