SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   New NOAA Weather Alert (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100242-new-noaa-weather-alert.html)

Cruisingdad 06-07-2013 02:09 PM

New NOAA Weather Alert

For those that have not been on the water as of late, or might have old VHF's, NOAA apparently has a new alert system. Remeber the old Buummm-Buummm-Bummm with accompanying high tone (Beeeeppppp)? Well the new one does that too, except it is followed by an even higher tone that does not shut off until you press a button. We have (unfortunately) had quite a few of these lately and it sends Fatty running for cover and shaking. Poor dog won't come out until the sun does. Needless to say, it is a real PITA.

I like that it alerts you that there is sever weather being reported, but I am not sure I like how it does it. If you do not have (or cannot get to) your VHF quickly, it will drive you out of your mind. It is also VERY Loud and nothing will play until you have pressed a button to turn it off, possibly missing what the original alert was. I will give them this though: It certainly gets your attention!!

How do others feel about it?

Brian

Barquito 06-07-2013 02:43 PM

Re: New NOAA Weather Alert

Presumably it depends on what radio you have. I think some go into a "Weather Alert Mode", and you need to hit Wx, or something. I don't think mine would automatically recognize the alert tone.

Melrna 06-07-2013 03:05 PM

A dog scared is not as bad as getting hurt, or worse lose of life. Keep the alerts coming.

MY36 06-07-2013 03:14 PM

If it's too annoying, poeple will find away to turn it off and the end will result will be missed alerts.

Cruisingdad 06-07-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrna (Post 1041006)
A dog scared is not as bad as getting hurt, or worse lose of life. Keep the alerts coming.

DOn't disagree with that, but understand that when the alert goes off, it no longer broadcasts what the problem is. For example, on the old alert, after it was done, it would be followed by what the alert was. On this one, after done, you can turn it off and have already missed it. Nothing comes through while that is on... not even the alert.

Make sense?

Brian

Cruisingdad 06-07-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MY36 (Post 1041010)
If it's too annoying, poeple will find away to turn it off and the end will result will be missed alerts.

The people that would do that would also turn this one off... maybe even more likely to turn this one off it is so annoying.

Have you heard it? Sounds just like a smoke alarm.

Brian

JimMcGee 06-07-2013 03:29 PM

Brian, what brand/model VHF?

Cruisingdad 06-07-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMcGee (Post 1041025)
Brian, what brand/model VHF?

Standard Horizon HX290 (handheld). I am not sure whether it will do that on the older VHFs. I will try and see next time and turn on my older boat-vhf.

Brian

Teamstone 06-07-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrna (Post 1041006)

Can't disagree with that!

FSMike 06-08-2013 12:30 AM

We're from the government and we're here to help you.
The more complicated it is the better we can help you.
Honest.