Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
New NOAA Weather Alert

For those that have not been on the water as of late, or might have old VHF's, NOAA apparently has a new alert system. Remeber the old Buummm-Buummm-Bummm with accompanying high tone (Beeeeppppp)? Well the new one does that too, except it is followed by an even higher tone that does not shut off until you press a button. We have (unfortunately) had quite a few of these lately and it sends Fatty running for cover and shaking. Poor dog won't come out until the sun does. Needless to say, it is a real PITA.

I like that it alerts you that there is sever weather being reported, but I am not sure I like how it does it. If you do not have (or cannot get to) your VHF quickly, it will drive you out of your mind. It is also VERY Loud and nothing will play until you have pressed a button to turn it off, possibly missing what the original alert was. I will give them this though: It certainly gets your attention!!

How do others feel about it?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: New NOAA Weather Alert

Presumably it depends on what radio you have. I think some go into a "Weather Alert Mode", and you need to hit Wx, or something. I don't think mine would automatically recognize the alert tone.
Old 06-07-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

A dog scared is not as bad as getting hurt, or worse lose of life. Keep the alerts coming.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 06-07-2013

MY36 is on a distinguished road

If it's too annoying, poeple will find away to turn it off and the end will result will be missed alerts.
Old 06-07-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
A dog scared is not as bad as getting hurt, or worse lose of life. Keep the alerts coming.
DOn't disagree with that, but understand that when the alert goes off, it no longer broadcasts what the problem is. For example, on the old alert, after it was done, it would be followed by what the alert was. On this one, after done, you can turn it off and have already missed it. Nothing comes through while that is on... not even the alert.

Make sense?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-07-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY36 View Post
If it's too annoying, poeple will find away to turn it off and the end will result will be missed alerts.
The people that would do that would also turn this one off... maybe even more likely to turn this one off it is so annoying.

Have you heard it? Sounds just like a smoke alarm.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-07-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Brian, what brand/model VHF?

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-07-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Brian, what brand/model VHF?
Standard Horizon HX290 (handheld). I am not sure whether it will do that on the older VHFs. I will try and see next time and turn on my older boat-vhf.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-07-2013

Teamstone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Can't disagree with that!
Old 06-08-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

We're from the government and we're here to help you.
The more complicated it is the better we can help you.
Honest.