SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Harborless Diesel Prognosis (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100270-harborless-diesel-prognosis.html)

Harborless 06-07-2013 08:03 PM

Harborless Diesel Prognosis

Good day Sailnet. This is the long awaited follow up thread to the much dramatized, but highly accurate, My Horror Story thread. I apologize the time has been lengthy but with memorial day and a tropical storm things have been hectic.

Here is what has been causing me SO MUCH angst and concern for 2 years.

It was a crankcase breather Baffle installed upside down. Thats it.
The previous owner had the engine rebuilt and the guy who put it back together installed this piece upside down (VERY easy to do actually).
This created a sump of oil instead of a drain.
So when I would run the engine oil would accumulate in the hose. As the pressure in the crank case increased eventually it would shoot the oil out the other side and into the intake. From the intake it went straight into the head gasket wear BAM run away diesel.
I myself saw this hose when disconnected SPRAYING oil into the floor (otherwise intake if installed) and it was A LOT. So the exhaust shot all this oil into the head and BOOM!
Once we flipped the breather baffle right side up and ran the engine NO OIL! JUST AIR! Hence- no more oil in the exhaust to go in the crankcase. Also managed to put new belts,impeller, and fuel filter on today too.

Ran the engine again for half an hour in every gear and every throttle and no run. No oil. All clear.

SO! That was it. Not cracked pistons or cylinder valves or o-rings (I mean these could be faulty- if the engine runs away in the future its pretty much means I have to get a new engine- parts for this motor do not exist- discontinued since 1992)

So I will get the bottom cleaned and scraped Monday and Tues or Wens will make another run down the ICW towards NSB. The mastery tech tells me I should be good to go with no further concerns and after being on the boat and SEEING the problem- I tend to agree.

So thats it. Crankcase Breather Baffle installed upside down was the cause of ALL OF THIS!@!!!!@@!@@#!!@!

At least its fixed-- I so very much hope.
Harborless OUT!

Silvio 06-07-2013 08:46 PM

Re: Harborless Diesel Prognosis

Fantastic news!! Good for ya, now get out there and sail on. Hope your trip is safe and hassle free from here onward.

krisscross 06-07-2013 09:04 PM

Glad you finally caught a break, dude. You were definitely due for one. :)

Harborless 06-07-2013 09:12 PM

Its funny because the tech had no idea that was possible. I mean if you look at it off you have no idea which way is right. We were about to give up and put in for a new engine or pop a for sale on the boat when another tech with 34a yrs experience called and asked if it had ever been rebuilt. When i said yes he said "check and see if so and so is upside down."
aparently he had like 20to years plus ago seen a ysm8 with run away problems be caused bc of this. So we pulled off the starter and fuel pump and sure enough this little pin hole was upside down. This tiny pin hole was it man i couldnt believe it. So we disconnected the hose from the exhaust and ran the engine and after a few minutes sure enough oil starts dripping, then sprayung, out the other end where only air should be coming.
if that guy didnt call this day would have been one of the worst ever. I definently caught a break. I so hope that was it and nothing else is wrong.. if it is like i said its over. For that engine at least.
but it all made sense and once corrected no oil came out so fingers crossed for next week.

SchockT 06-07-2013 10:59 PM

Wow! One little mistake by a mechanic in the past and you almost threw away a perfectly good engine!

Do you by any chance have pictures of the offending part? I am curious to see what you are describing.

northoceanbeach 06-07-2013 11:03 PM

I'm glad you've got this solved. I think you'll have a good summer.

Faster 06-07-2013 11:09 PM

Nice to catch a break, however it would have been nicer not to have had the worry and stress in the first place!... Good job finding this before you took more drastic action!

Frogwatch 06-07-2013 11:42 PM

Wow. Nobody here got it either. Of course, none of us knew this was even possible. So, we all learned something. Good luck. Stay in touch.

chef2sail 06-08-2013 08:09 AM

Good to hear. Now restart your adventure.

Dave

blutoyz 06-08-2013 08:37 AM

The winds of change....
This is exactly the type of good fortune that will launch your adventure in the right direction...congratulations!!