Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By northoceanbeach
  • 3 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road
First Boat Recommendation

Last week while returning from my boat on our first sail of the year my 18 year old son, who just graduated from high school, surprised me with "you know, I'd really like to get my own boat and learn to sail." I spent the last week looking at boats for sale, more than I normally do much to the chagrin of my wife, and have narrowed it down to either a 1982 MacGregor 22 or a Cal 21, both are priced about the same though the MacGregor is 10 years newer. My question is, having never sailed on either which would you choose for:

A) A first boat
B) Overnighting
C) Trailering
D) Forgiveness while learning to sail.

Thanks for your input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: First Boat Recommendation

Cal 21. Better manufacturer.
jimgo likes this.
Old 06-08-2013
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough

Cal 21; those are tough little boats. A Cal 20 raced to Hawaii from SF in the Singlehanded Trans-Pac. If one can cross the Pacific and not get rolled or holed I'd say it's seaworthy and forgiving enough. MacGregor 22; not so much.
Old 06-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Here are other filters:

Buy the one you don't mind owning if an 18 yr old changes there mind 30 days from now! I applaud you for giving your son this opportunity, but it would be normal for something to take a youngin in a different direction. They are still learning what they like most.

Buy the one that you don't mind seeing scratched, dented or broken and are equally willing to help fix. Most 18 year olds, particularly newbie sailors are going to break things.

You're a great Dad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-08-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Import, while a good list, it sounds like CatMan is beyond all those points.

I don't have experience with the Cal 21 but my first boat was a Venture 2-22 (which then became MacGregor). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for a first boat. I sailed it on the Chesapeake and it survived me. If it's a first boat with the intention to learn on, you probably aren't going to circumnavigate in it or even head to the islands (although for years there was a flotilla of Macs that made the trip from Florida to the Bahamas).

I would also consider which one is in better shape. Even if the Mac is newer, is it in worse shape than the Cal? Which one has better rigging and sails?

Good luck.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-08-2013
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

Guess I should have added that both have had rigging replaced in the last year, both are structurally sound with no apparent softness issues and that I did insist he take sailing lessons if buying the boat comes to fruition. The second part of the equation is he has agreed to pay half the purchase price, pay for insurance and all license and lake fees. He'll either sail where I do at a 10,750 acre lake or at a local 1400 acre lake that is used exclusively by sailboats or fishing craft with under 10 horse motors.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 06-08-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

In that case, if it was me, and knowing that it's just a boat to learn on, I'd probably flip a coin.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne