Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Coast Guard rescues 4 "sailors" off Charleston...

Having been involved for years in f.a. and rescue, those broken bones would most certainly represent life -threatening injuries. No question: get 'em off. Broken bones can sever arteries and immobilization would be next to impossible on a tossing boat. In the case of some captain wanting to go down with the ship and expecting me to follow along....well, I'd hope he was a good swimmer
Old 06-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Having been involved for years in f.a. and rescue, those broken bones would most certainly represent life -threatening injuries. No question: get 'em off. Broken bones can sever arteries and immobilization would be next to impossible on a tossing boat. In the case of some captain wanting to go down with the ship and expecting me to follow along....well, I'd hope he was a good swimmer
Ding...ding....ding....We agree 100%

So you and I would both hit the EPIRB.

Point is you cant prepare yourself for everything. I have confidence in people, and their decisions. If they feel they are in over their heads they should call the CG to get them out of it. We can always point to incidents or second guess ad nauseum as to whether they should have been in the situation. We can decide that after they are safe and sound.

The CG have always been wonderful in my dealings with them and it is great comfort to know they are there in an emergency as the are fully trained. I would have no problem them taking control of a situation I have called them out for as THEY are the professionals in that case.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Cant they in this day and age get an exact fix on where the signal at least originates or originated from? Do you know of any cases recently where they prosecuted offenders of this?
I don't know of any prosecutions, but I'll ask.

As for locating the signals I do know some stations that have done it successfully. If one did and another wasn't able to, I don't have an answer for that either, only a guess. The new Rescue 21 system was rolled out across the country over the course of a few years and that may have increased one station's ability over another's. Again, that's just a guess. Since Rescue 21 we no longer have to have an auxiliarist on land relaying our messages to Sector Baltimore, but I don't know if that also increased any other capabilities.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-11-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Surely, injuries so far from help and under the "normal" conditions on a sailboat warrant early action. Bleeding, unconsciousness, broken bones, preexisting conditions, etc. all call for erring on the side of caution. However, risking the lives of the great kids in the CG should not be taken lightly. Every time they set off in a chopper to pluck someone out of the water they are in a great deal of danger. One of those crews, lost just because someone was scared but in no real danger would be a great tragedy.
Old 06-11-2013

Quote:
Surely, injuries so far from help and under the "normal" conditions on a sailboat warrant early action. Bleeding, unconsciousness, broken bones, preexisting conditions, etc. all call for erring on the side of caution. However, risking the lives of the great kids in the CG should not be taken lightly. Every time they set off in a chopper to pluck someone out of the water they are in a great deal of danger. One of those crews, lost just because someone was scared but in no real danger would be a great tragedy.
Agreed. I am sure the CG does a good job of accessing the situation before setting forth and that is the last option.
GMFL likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I don't know of any prosecutions, but I'll ask.

As for locating the signals I do know some stations that have done it successfully. If one did and another wasn't able to, I don't have an answer for that either, only a guess. The new Rescue 21 system was rolled out across the country over the course of a few years and that may have increased one station's ability over another's. Again, that's just a guess. Since Rescue 21 we no longer have to have an auxiliarist on land relaying our messages to Sector Baltimore, but I don't know if that also increased any other capabilities.
What is the "recscue 21 system and how is it different/ better than the old protocols,

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 06-11-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
What is the "recscue 21 system and how is it different/ better than the old protocols,

Dave
I can't explain it better than their website so I won't even try:

USCG: Rescue 21

Excerpt:

Rescue 21, the Coast Guard’s advanced command, control and direction-finding communications system, was created to better locate mariners in distress and save lives and property at sea and on navigable rivers. By harnessing state-of-the-market technology, Rescue 21 enables the Coast Guard to execute its search and rescue missions with greater agility and efficiency.

Why this project?
Rescue 21 replaces the National Distress and Response System, which has been in use since the 1970s. Rescue 21 can more accurately identify the location of callers in distress via towers that generate lines of bearing to the source of VHF radio transmissions, thereby significantly reducing search time. Rescue 21 extends coverage out to a minimum of 20 nautical miles from the coastline. It improves information sharing and coordination with the Department of Homeland Security and other federal, state and local first responders, and can also identify suspected hoax calls, conserving valuable response resources.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-11-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Simply stated, one of the features of Rescue21 is the installation of antennas and receivers with overlapping coverage. With a single antenna/receiver, a line of bearing can be calculated. The system can identify the same signal across multiple receivers and with multiple LOBs, an area can be defined. The system is automated so the signal shows up as a point on the incident center’s screen. It is not fail proof, two antennas still have to pick up the signal which was not the case in Northern California not too long ago. Other features of the system such as playback capability etc. did enable the USCG to do a search on the chance that the signal was legit. DSC is much better as it not only transmits position, but a whole lot more data too.
Old 06-12-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It appears from the photo, that the boat had/has an inner forestay with an intact furled jib on it.
With the Hoyt boom, appears to be an Island Packet... Tough to tell from the pic whether that white off the stern is a wave, or a dinghy on davits...

What tells me all I need to know, however, is the freakin' full cockpit enclosure... For a trip from the Islands to the mid-Atlantic in JUNE??? Seriously?

Hmmm, why am I not surprised these clowns were caught unaware? (grin)

jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 06-13-2013

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

I don't get it. Why go out in the ocean when a tropical storm has been reported? Stay safe and just postpone the delivery!