Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Coast Guard rescues 4 "sailors" off Charleston...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
That's certainly a very reasonable, prudent approach... However, until such time as government actually does start coming after us sailors for rescue reimbursement, the necessity for people to take a 2-day course to "avoid the exposure to reimbursement costs" would seem to be a moot point...
Of course it's moot. However, its one premise of the discussion. Should they do so, not will they do so.

Quote:
Sorry, but I have to chuckle a bit at the notion of a "2-Day Course" being of any real value - especially given the extraordinary wealth of information already available to anyone who can read...
I get the point and agree with it narrowly. The course would not make one a competent offshore passagemaker. But it would firmly get the attention of many and could prevent the ignorant from taking on what they don't know. The remaining few that deserve the Darwin award would remain unaffected, but I believe it would improve the current condition.

I believe the inspections would be even more valuable. I'm certain there are sailors that would be willing to make improvements they are not even aware should be made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I attended the 2 day Safety at Sea Seminar @ the Naval Academy in '98. I came away with a lot of good information. It's true that you can read much of it in books and on the internet. It's just a little more difficult to ask a book a question or network with other sailors and exchange information. Having attended alot of conferences and trade shows in my career, I've always felt that if I came away with one idea that I could put to use, it was worth my time. In '98 I was able to meet Ron Trossbach, who graciously agreed to come aboard my boat and do a courtesy inspection then sat in the cockpit with us and discussed his recommendations over a cocktail. It was like attending a Master's class. I still have all the notes I took.
Old 06-18-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

This all boils down to the biggest problem isn't the way the boats are equipped but the mindset of the sailors and as this world is becoming more and more automated with computers/smart phones/chart plotters etc doing more and more thinking for us real down to earth seamanship (something that is needed when the power goes out and/or circumstances are more than a micro chip can handle) is going out the window.
People just need to be better educated as to what is possible offshore....it's not the same, by far...and when it gets really dicey some people can't handle it and just freeze up.
Old 06-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
.....In '98 I was able to meet Ron Trossbach, who graciously agreed to come aboard my boat and do a courtesy inspection then sat in the cockpit with us and discussed his recommendations over a cocktail. It was like attending a Master's class. I still have all the notes I took.
What a great opportunity. Ron was one of the instructors in the class that I took before the race a few years back. He was excellent. Retired Admiral, who has sailed his own boat across the pond at least once, I believe.

He demonstrated the inflatable pfd and discussed issues like crotch straps, which is a good example of something one would not just know from experience. How many sailors with thousands of miles offshore have ever actually been in the water in a pfd? How many have actually tried to board a liferaft from the water? I think this course may deserve a bit more credit that we've collective acknowledged. The guy who did the section on seasickness, gave his experience in the Fastnet. It was much more compelling than any book.

Ron was wearing his personal pfd and it was time for new CO2 cartridges, so he thought he would fully demonstrate an inflation. He is wearing it during his talk, so when he's done, he pulls the cord. It stutters and puffs, but barely inflates at all. It was shot. What a great experience for everyone in the room, including him!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-18-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

When ever I see a boat come in from obviously a long passage I ask to "pick thier brains" I also ask questions of anyone I know who has made and/or has significant experience in long passages.....knowledge is valuable....you just have to be careful for the same reasons you are in information from forums.
Old 06-18-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

I blew by this thread a few times in the past several days. Never read a post.

Opened it yesterday and finished reading it today.

Great thread. Thanks to all the posters. Thanks for the links to other boat-loss stories.

I learned a lot.

Biggest lesson I learned was to never start an argument with chef...he don't give up. I got a brother who argues like that and I have to kick him out of the house and make him go home sometimes because he doesn't think he has convinced me that he's right and I'm wrong.
downeast450 and smackdaddy like this.
Old 06-18-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I feel great comfort knowing that there is NO Coast Guard Units available to rescue me. The only thing I can rely on is ME!. My boat preparation, my seamanship, my study.
smackdaddy and Minnewaska like this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
I blew by this thread a few times in the past several days. Never read a post.

Opened it yesterday and finished reading it today.

Great thread. Thanks to all the posters. Thanks for the links to other boat-loss stories.

I learned a lot.

Biggest lesson I learned was to never start an argument with chef...he don't give up. I got a brother who argues like that and I have to kick him out of the house and make him go home sometimes because he doesn't think he has convinced me that he's right and I'm wrong.
Great contribution really worthwhile. Look forward to more of your critical insights .

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-19-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I attended the 2 day Safety at Sea Seminar @ the Naval Academy in '98. I came away with a lot of good information. It's true that you can read much of it in books and on the internet. It's just a little more difficult to ask a book a question or network with other sailors and exchange information. Having attended alot of conferences and trade shows in my career, I've always felt that if I came away with one idea that I could put to use, it was worth my time. In '98 I was able to meet Ron Trossbach, who graciously agreed to come aboard my boat and do a courtesy inspection then sat in the cockpit with us and discussed his recommendations over a cocktail. It was like attending a Master's class. I still have all the notes I took.
Ron is a great guy. I've not met him, only spoken and corresponded with him several times. And he was gracious enough to send me a couple of ISAF/Safety books - signed by him of course.

I'd definitely serve up a few D&S's to pick his brain in person.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-19-2013 at 10:51 PM.