Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Coast Guard rescues 4 "sailors" off Charleston...

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
ever been in a 35' boat with no power and no sails in 20' swells at night?
I think it is scarier during the day when you can see how nasty it is, unless you have not been out at night in nasty conditions often.
Old 06-09-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Perhaps continuing on when they lost power two days into the trip wasn't the best move. Ah the wisdom of hindsight.

Four sailors safe and sound after two weeks at sea - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

two days into the trip they lost their engine.

"It had to with battery issues," said Clayton Stevens, a crew member and competitive sailor. "Once we lost battery power, we couldn't turn the engine over and then caput with everything."

"We had to had steer this boat after we lost our electronics for over 800 miles," said Joel Kreider, the captain of the vessel. " So, we were working all day, working all night trying to get there."

But then the main sail gave way and all they were left with was a satellite phone and a hand-held GPS.

(end of quote from article)

Now, assuming an old 2002 profile from dateline Pittsburg is for the same Joel, this little nugget is slightly embarrassing in hindsight as well:

Favorite stock/mutual fund: Enron

( http://old.post-gazette.com/business...ne0417bnp6.asp )

And yes, lots of people make investment decisions that might not look so great in retrospect.

Last edited by rgscpat; 06-09-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2013

NautiG is on a distinguished road

I don't know. I was pretty quick to condemn the jackass island packet captain when he headed out on a delivery into a named storm and then made a series of poor decisions. I was also shaking my head when I heard about the Bounty captain and the choices he made which cost him his life and one of his crew members lives. I was preparing to haul out my boat for the hurricane when that jackass decided to head out into the teeth of a superstorm in his POS boat.

These guys happened to get caught out in a named storm and not be as prepared as they should have been. In retrospect, they should have stayed with the boat, seeing as it is still afloat. But I've never been out in the conditions they describe so I don't know how scary it is. However, I don't think their actions were nearly as egregious as the other two jackass captains.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split decision
Old 06-09-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

So they had a sat phone and therefore had access to the fact that they were not going to be hit with a large storm with insurmountable sea conditions. They had running lights and were not going to be run down by a tanker. There were 4 of them....4 of them to man the helm in shifts (what an inconvenience!). Was there no needle and thread aboard to jury rig something? No try'sl or storm jib? Still wondering why they bailed. The CG was aware of their situation and ready to rescue them if something life-threatening occurred. Just what are the criteria the USCG uses to decide if a rescue attempt is warranted? Is it by request?

One thing to think about from this incident is that I have often thought about installing a hand crank option for the 3GM30. In a total battery failure by releasing 2/3 cylinders, it could possibly be hand-started. The old Atomic hand crank from the original motor is still in a locker somewhere. Think I'll investigate getting a gear to make it work with the diesel. Also one of those emergency battery packs might be a good idea or even better, a small spare battery kept charged in a locker somewhere. A small gas generator would be handy but useless if all the batteries were hopelessly smoked.
Old 06-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Has nothing to do with Obama. The government has been wasting money led by all presidents from all sides for years. That's what we elect them to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Father said to me when I was 5. Captain of the ship must go down with the ship. Not sure if this applies to the delivery Captain where there is no love between the man and the boat. I am with the old school, I go with my boat or I ride it out in the life raft until the storm is over.

Who knows what happened in this incidence. Incompetent captain, unfound vessel, overbearing owner or demands, unpaid job, un-collaborating crews, sh@t hit the fan, weather or bad luck, anything or combination can happen. I was not in there shoes. I am glad no one dies, and our CG has a chance to practice their skills. I am sure their families glad that they called the CG. Who are we to judge others for their action when their life is at risk.

I doubt Obama will lower my taxes next year if no one calls CG for rescue in 2013. If the money is not used here, it will be wasted somewhere else. What about the life of the rescuer? Don't worry CG has straight protocol and SOP as when, what and where to call quit. Let them make their decision.
lgherb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I agree with Donna, but the nature here with some here to to play computer screen analysis from their couch and comment on things without the facts. After all it does make it interesting read. When they get it right they brag and bray over their magnificence of their amateur guess. When they are wrong. of course they never admit it. For me what really happened comes out after time. I surle wouldn't want to do anything wrong and have it published on SN to have the sleuths here analyze, because they certainly don't need facts to state opinions.

My real reason for posting is about the term delivery captain. Seems anyone can call themself that. I have friends who actually do that for a living and their level f experience is far greater than some of the threads and articles I have seen where people pay to have boats delivered by people claiming to have experience. There is no real qualification though and anyone can claim to have and have recommendations from successful trips.

I would look carefully into their insurance or lack thereof and also your own should a mishap occur, not only for liability of injury to those on your or other boats, not only to property damage on your or others boats, but also to who will be sued should environmental or salvage be required.

Moving a boat requires more skill than moving furniture in a hose but many people now it seems do less research into the people doing he moving.

I would suggest people use only those recommended by Boat US or one of the professional marine organizations. Any less than that I'd be inspect.

When I see a report like this and the term delivery captain used, it may not be a real delivery captain, just someone who calls themself that. A delivery captain is not someone trying to gain experience, it is someone who has the experience IMHO. In both instances recently none of my friends would have sop phoned the CG or tried running Oregon Inlet.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I hear you James. I'm not saying to wait for the investigation. But somewhere between that and a short article where the journalist may or may not have gotten the facts correct is a good starting spot for a discussion. I just wanted to head off the knee-jerk bashing of those involved and turn it into a discussion that all of us can learn from. More of "What would I (or what could they) have done differently?" rather than "The idiots should have rigged a sail by sewing their t-shirts together or gone down with the ship."

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

I would sure as hell not go down with my boat unless I was trapped inside it or the only other option is swimming out to bob as shark bait.
I consider myself a pretty brave guy- but the thought of drowning way out at sea in a fiberglass coffin takes that courage out quick.
Growing up around sailors and dabbing my foot in myself- I do not think I would have called for rescue with the other hands aboard. Solo? Yes- but then again I wouldn't be caught offshore without a freaking flashlight much less a spare sail and extra line to attach buckets, flippers, bags, w.e. you need to make a sea anchor after the first one was lost because I HAVE to assume a delivery captain is not so stupid as to drop a dead anchor in that condition. Hes asking for it to hole his boat or rip the cleat off or at least just throw the damn thing away- If he DID do this then that is incompetence. I believe he deployed a sea anchor though and it was lost.

So- with the extra hands on board I do not see why they could not have bare poles it until sunlight and assessed the situation.
If I had been solo in a 35' boat with 20 ft swells at night with no power or engine or sails I would have called for rescue. Thats just me. And I never run from a fight, unless its a fight with mother nature. Cause mother nature will kick my @$$ every time. Believe that.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-09-2013
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

I never leave the dock without my magic shoes . All I have to do is click the heels 3 times & say , " There's no place like home " & poof.....emergency over.
Old 06-09-2013

SausageFingers is on a distinguished road

"Need your boat delivered across the blue sea? PITTSBURG and BUFFALO is the ideal place to find a crew!"
smackdaddy and blutoyz like this.
Old 06-09-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
I think it's " step up into the life raft "
I know the quote, the idea I was trying to get across is the boat should be sinking before you abandon it. Unless they are in danger of sinking or someone is dangerously injured, they should have stayed with the ship. I am guilty of Monday morning quarterbacking here but my guess is they ran out of beer.
Minnesail likes this.