Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
battery

Yes it starts our 30 GMF Yanmar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2013

sailortrash is on a distinguished road
Re: Coast Guard rescues 4 "sailors" off Charleston...

True I was not there but i will bet a months pay that inexperience and ego are huge factors in this story. The reason I say that is that I have seen it so many times. Another reason is the lack of a flashlight or at least enough batteries to last the duration of the trip. If you see me on a boat i have a flashlight in my left pocket and a knife in the right one. an extra in my pack and no less than 4 changes of fresh batteries. You will also find a hand held gps and hand held compass in my pack. I have seen bay sailors that believe they are master offshore sailors because they have sailed 5-10 afternoons a year for 30 years. I am far from the best sailor I am far from the worst. That being said I have been through the experiences the broken bones and painful learning curves that come form some of my own stupid decisions and many more by others because i was to inexperienced to know any better. I could be wrong about this captain but i highly doubt it.
Old 06-11-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We stash one of those portable batteries that have built in jumper cables, and can be recharged easily by plugging in. It also lets us use our high pressure air scoprego pump to reinflate or top off the dinghy when its in the water .

WEST MARINE 600A Jump-Starter with Air Compressor and 12V Power Supply at West Marine
Yes, I've seen those. Having a completely separate emergency power source that can be accessed quickly really seems like a no-brainer.
Old 06-11-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
...they had no way of knowing what the storm was doing without electronics. It's pretty scary at night with 20' seas and no idea whether things are going to get worse BUT does that warrant bailing out...
If they were in contact with the USCG, they had access to all the weather info they'd need. The CG is very, very good about providing anything you need in an emergency to help you make a very informed decision whether to be taken off.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-11-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
If they were in contact with the USCG, they had access to all the weather info they'd need. The CG is very, very good about providing anything you need in an emergency to help you make a very informed decision whether to be taken off.
Was trying to give them some benefit of doubt but you're absolutely right, the CG must certainly have given them a weather synopsis. I'm still wondering what the criteria are triggering the CG to start a rescue mission. Is it immediate and actual threat to life such as a sinking vessel or severe bleeding, heart attack, etc. or is it "I'm scared, beam me up Scotty?" Maybe they needed the practice in this case?
Old 06-11-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Just what are the criteria the USCG uses to decide if a rescue attempt is warranted? Is it by request?
Yes. The USCG won't "decide" if a rescue is warranted. That's your job as a skipper. If you call, they come. God bless 'em for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
smurphny (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

It could be that with the current budget squeeze, it might not take too many questionable, expensive missions to change that policy.
Old 06-11-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
No problem. If I contributed to that I apologize if someone felt my remarks were of a personal nature.
They were.

Old 06-11-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It could be that with the current budget squeeze, it might not take too many questionable, expensive missions to change that policy.
No. They start the process as soon as someone is reported missing or a mayday is received.

They have started, within the last ten years I'd say, really upping the penalties for false maydays. Six-figure fines and jail time isn't unusual.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-11-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
No. They start the process as soon as someone is reported missing or a mayday is received.

They have started, within the last ten years I'd say, really upping the penalties for false maydays. Six-figure fines and jail time isn't unusual.
Donna.. have they successfully prosecuted/collected/convicted on many such incidents? Any idea of how many?

There was an incident in California recently but I don't believe they ever identified the culprit?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)