Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking to get first boat

Yup, I'll second Alex...the C25 is a great first boat. They can be had for very cheap (making them almost "disposable"), and as he said, they are a good all-around boat. Not great at any one thing, but the combination of features, especially for the cost, make them a great first boat. You may quickly find that the C25 won't work for you, but it will help you define your wants/needs better and probably help you make a more informed decision in your second boat.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

J,

A 25 can be a good first boat or . . . a good boat. There are some real tangible benefits to a "trailer sailor". Money, being a prime reason. By trailering you are saving serious cash on slip fees, mooring, marinas, repairs, hauling, stepping and all sorts of other sailory sounding stuff. The drawback is towing but if you have a pick up, and you ARE in Texas so, like Maine, you can get 6 pick-ups in 12 minutes by sending out the word that something has to move . . . and it's wick'd heavy. Say there's mud or a snow bank in the way and beer on the other side and your job is done. Now, where was I going with that? Oh, towing. Yeah, as long as you can tow your mistress to where she needs to go, it's a good deal. Don't let the nay-sayers tell you how long it takes to set up. My lovely bride and I can do it in 1/2 hour from brakes on to float off. It takes a few tries to get the knack but once you get the process down and make a few gadgets to help, it's not too bad. We tow and launch our Lancer 25 every weekend, after ice-out anyway. Pick up a copy of "The Complete Trailer Sailor" by Brian Gilbert. Good stuff but also lots of boats in the back to help you choose. For me though, Catalina all the way. 1987 ish.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to get first boat-p1010045.jpg   Looking to get first boat-seguin-light-harbor.jpg  
Old 06-10-2013

jmoney is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input,

I am planning on getting a slip, yes we do have a powerful v8 (yes, I am in texas) that can more than easily tow a boat, I simply would rather have a slip for convenience reasons. My main concern with the 25s is that many that I have seen don't have push button ignition on the engine and I would prefer that if I am somehow injured or incapacitated and my fiance needs to get the motor started.

Cruising/relaxation is the purpose for our boat. Maybe one day racing, but for the immediate future, this is just about having a great way to relax each weekend.

If there is an easy way to modify the 25s to have a push button of ignition let me know, as I said I am very new to this. At the end of the month I plan on getting us up to texoma for the weekend to rent/charter a sailboat for the day so that we can get some information on slips and who may have be the local "guy" for tracking down a boat, since there is unlikely to be a broker for these cheaper models as mentioned above.

Let me know what you guys think, I really appreciate the insight everyone has given so far.
Old 06-10-2013

Ward H is on a distinguished road

When you get into outboards over 8hp or so, electric start and charging is common. My Yamaha 9.9hp pushes my 25 O'day fine and has electric start and charging. I checked Tohatsu outboards and they too have the electric start.
So push button start shouldn't be a problem but I am not sure if it can be added to an OB. Enjoy your search.
Old 06-11-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

As far as I know my Catalina 25 was never on a trailer. I bought it from the original owner and have all of the original paperwork and it doesn't look like they ever owned a trailer. We kept it on a slip and I personally see that as essential to allow for regular sailing.

Our motor is a Tohatsu/Nissan 9.8 with electric push button start. This is a common feature.

alex
Old 06-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree with Ward. I bought a Tohatsu electric-start for my C25. It was great, and my wife could easily start the engine (unlike the Honda 8 that we had before which was manual start). If it's a high priority, budget $2500 toward a new Tohatsu (including a starter battery) and go find another boat with an outboard. Then sell the outboard that comes with the boat, or keep it as a spare in case something happens to the Tohatsu.

I wouldn't look for a local to help you buy a cheap boat; you'll likely blow your budget. It really isn't that hard. Read the threads here (there's a sticky somewhere) for self-inspecting a boat. If you go with the Catalina, the C25 owner's site has a great self-inspection checklist that includes topics specific to the C25. Also, be ready to look at several boats, and be ready to spend at least an hour or two aboard. A little homework and some time aboard will really go a long way toward giving you peace of mind in making your selection.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2013

jmoney is on a distinguished road

Thanks, this information has narrowed us down to a 25ft, with a push button start. There are lots of things that I would like to have, but the number one priority right now is just getting a solid boat to get out on texoma and sail.