Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Finally got my new (old) tub home

Well, after a Saturday that went exactly to plan (travel to Vancouver and mini-service of the engine), the Sunday trip across from Vancouver went, well, mostly to plan. New (old) boat is now safely tied up the slip. There were several times during the day I didn't think it would happen, but 12 hours and some 54 miles later, we finally drifted in backwards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2013

Jd1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Finally got my new (old) tub home

WoooHooooo !!!! Welcome home !
The Following User Says Thank You to Jd1 For This Useful Post:
PaulinVictoria (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013

mtitus is on a distinguished road

Well done Paulinvictoria! Now the real work begins?!
Old 06-10-2013

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road

Congrats.,happy for you.marc
Old 06-10-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Fantastic!
Old 06-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Wow! Congratulations! But, um, where are the PICTURES!?!?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Wow! Congratulations! But, um, where are the PICTURES!?!?
... and the details?? Sounds like a bit of a tale in there somewhere!
Alex W likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-10-2013

It was an interesting trip. Left at 5am, glassy smooth, clipping along at 6kts, got out into the Straight and the wind kicked up to around 15kts against the current which meant very steep chop, most 8ft, some higher. We couldn't go our intended course straight to Porlier as that put us on beam seas so we headed further north towards Gabriola passage, progress was of course slowed right down to 3.5kts trying to push through it all, the waves were too steep to try and run. As we got over near to Gabriola the current in the main Straight had turned so things calmed down a bit, I decided to run down to Porlier to try and make it before the turn there. Making good progress, 6.5kts, surfing some waves at 8kts. One of the crew thought it would be nice to put up some sail, and that's when it all went a little sideways! Slowed down, turned up into wind, hoisted the sail. Put the power back on so we could make a faster turn back downwind and *bang* *bang* *bang* from below. Engine wouldn't rev, no progress. Into neutral, rev engine, purrs like a kitten, back into gear, *bang* *bang* *bang*. Cut the engine, unfurled the genoa and got her back downwind (waves were not far off the previous height, but a lot gentler by this point). Continued to head for Porlier pass, we had about an hour and a half to get there before the current was against us. Then the wind started to fade, and fade. Could see a tug towing two barges up ahead coming direct into the pass, figuring that he was going to be timing it to get through at slack, that gave us a good indicator for when that was going to be. Down to 4kts, wind dies more, still a mile back from the pass.
Get to the pass, wind dies almost completely. Now I am glad of the many, many hours spent in Tangerine trying to get her moving in the tiniest zephyrs. I whistle, there's a little puff of wind, we're doing 1kt, tiniest boost from the current (the tug was long gone!). As we get to the middle of the pass, current dies to nothing, if we don't get through in the next 10 minutes, we are going backwards back into the Georgia Straight. Usual flood of stinkpotters blasting past, robbing us of any speed we can get up. Whistle some more, little puff of wind, couple of superbly smooth gybes and we're out!
Once through the pass, the current is still heading south so we ride the current for an hour, going less than a knot the whole time.
Knowing it's going to change and start pushing us back north, it's time to make some decisions. Try to anchor? Nope, 30 feet from the shore and we're still in 100ft of water. I go below, talk nicely to the engine, fire her up again. She purrs back into life (well, as much as a single cylinder diesel can purr), fingers crossed, toes crossed (aside from the one I smashed against the skeg of the dinghy outboard that's in the cabin), into gear. Banging isn't so bad. I either finished destroying it, or perhaps she wants to get to her new home as well.
Motor the rest of the way, make good progress and end up back at the marina almost exactly at the planned time.
Drift down the fairway (new slip = new fairway), slip numbers almost impossible to read from the boat, crew on the bow shouts that it's this one, slip her into reverse. Nothing. Fortunately by this time we are drifting at less than 1/4kt, unfortunately we are past our slip. Bowman manages to step off onto a finger opposite, we swing the boat and with a push, backwards into our slip we drift.
Stressful day? Yeah, a little. More stressed about the mechanic's bill

Our designated crew media person has some photos from the trip (except when she was asleep in the v-berth during the worst of the crossing). When I get some I'll put them up.

Old 06-10-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Glad you made it okay! Sounds like an adventure.

The symptoms that you describe are similar to when my fuel filter clogged in rough conditions. It'll rev up in neutral because the fuel filter isn't completely clogged and enough fuel can get through for low loads. Put it into gear and you starve the engine and it'll either drop back down or just stop.

It's easy to check, just inspect both of the fuel filters. Even if your primary fuel filter is a cartridge you can generally look inside it and compare it to a new one to see how the medium looks.

When you got the motor working the second time were you able to rev it up to cruising speed, or were you running at reduced speed? If you got it up to cruising speed then that probably blows the fuel filter theory. In our case we had much less distance to cover and we sailed most of it, then got behind the breakwater at my marina and motored back in at just over idle into a high headwind. The mile long breakwater never seemed so long.

Hopefully it's something this simple! If not let us know what the issue ends up being.
Old 06-10-2013

I changed the fuel and oil filters on Saturday. Definitely something mechanical, lack of fuel doesn't usually cause loud banging noises. She got back up to cruising speed the second time, the banging had subsided (but still there). I'm thinking something in the transmission has come adrift and second time around it wasn't in the way quite as much.
Mechanic is going to the boat tomorrow to have a look. $$$