Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By avenger79
  • 1 Post By Barquito
  • 1 Post By SHNOOL
  • 2 Post By bnaylor
  • 1 Post By PBzeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road
gettting closer to sailing

Finally had a great weekend here to set the boat up in the driveway. new to me and with no instruction how to set it up, I thought better to do it at home rather than find out how to do it at the boat ramp. All parts are accounted for and wasn't too difficult to set up. of course as I was going to move it to a different spot after taking it back down, the truck blew a brake line. LOL another project, yay just what I needed. Hopefully in the next week or two I can actually put it in water and see if it floats. Still need to go through the motor.
jimgo likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: gettting closer to sailing

In my experience, the first time out with a new boat is a bit if a circus. One time, after 2 hours of rigging, we tried, and tried to start the OB. Finally gave up, derigged and went home. Found out I hadn't opened a fuel valve! Another time I forgot to bring the rudder. Have fun, and take some pictures.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 06-10-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Barquito... those kinds of experiences should be more honestly shared among the newbs... they need to know that we all have done it... mistakes happen, and it's a learning experience.

Sailboats are NOT like a john boat... There are some pretty complicated things that have to be dealt with for it all to go successfully.

Trailer sailing I believe requires you to basically trailer, launch, rig, motor, sail, motor derig, retrieve and trailer. It's generally more complicated than just hopping on your boat and going... and yes I get it that larger boats mean more sophisticated rigging, and problems... but the potential for things to go wrong on a trailer sailed boat (where you have to turn around and go home) are likely more apt to happen.

You DO get a routine going, and eventually it becomes rote. Carry on, and dry rigging, and sorting is a VERY wise thing to do.
bljones likes this.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Old 06-10-2013

Barquito: my biggest fear is getting to the water without the rudder. LOL
Old 06-10-2013

bnaylor is on a distinguished road
gettting closer to sailing

Avenger: congratulations, and now take that big step and splash her in the water. And be prepared to make some mistakes.

Our first time out with our "new to us" boat was the "sea trial" just before closing the deal. We knew nothing about sailing; but, the boat shop owner did - he was our captain for the sea trial. We had four problems on that first short sail:

1. Motor took something like 50-pulls to start - tired from pulling on the cord, but undaunted, it finally started and we pressed on.

2. A few minutes later, not yet clear of the channel, the motor was purring along nicely but we were not moving. I gave it more throttle and the engine responded, but still we were not moving forward even though the motor was in gear. Then we found that the shear pin for the prop had broken.

3. A half an hour later, after drifting into the channel barrier, we were again under way. Once clear of the channel and in the open area of the lake, our captain had us raise the sails that he had rigged. The main went up uneventfully and soon we were sailing along. Then the jib was raised - something called a 150-genoa. And we were sailing along even faster. And then came a great gust, and my young children and I on the windward side of the cockpit were hoisted high into the air where we could peer down at my wife and the captain on the lee side of the cockpit. Water was pouring over their gunwale, soaking them both, and filling the cockpit. He was looking up at me and yelling something about "releasing the sheep". When I finally realized that there were no sheep onboard, and instead released the jib sheet, she came back up, and we watched the scuppers slowly work at draining the cockpit.

4. And, our most egregious error of the day - after this introduction to sailing, amid my scared and sobbing children, my soaked and unhappy wife, and the equally soaked and unhappy boat shop owner, we finalized the deal and bought the boat.

In the weeks after, as we were learning the ropes, I ...

- drove the half hour to the lake where the boat is kept at least once without the boat keys. Fail.
- same as above without the gas tank. Fail.
- and, when anchoring one afternoon with a lot of wave action, I held onto the boat with one hand while deftly freeing the anchor from its mount on the bow pulpit with my other hand and, while fumbling with the shackle on the anchor line, tossed the anchor in ... Without it actually having been attached to anything. Fail.

Point being: have spares (shear pins, anchors, more), recognize that you'll make mistakes, and use checklists religiously.

Good luck.
utchuckd and CatMan22 like this.
Old 06-11-2013

BNAYLOR: that was an awesome story. LOL Yeah first time I took my son(21) and wife out we got hit by a good breeze and a passing motorboat. I had just finished asa 101 and she was not real confident in my abilities. Boat heeled waves than hit, yeah a little splashing. she has agreed to go out on this boat though seeing as I managed to not get her wet that day. LOL
Old 06-11-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The upside of our first season wiht our new-to-us, new-to-sailing -as -a -family boat is that we live only 15 minutes from the marina.
The downside is that we made that trip a LOT, for stupid reasons.
Like forgetting the keys to the boat.
Like forgetting the batteries.
Like forgetting the tools to install aforementioned batteries once aforementioned keys have unlocked the boat.
All on the same day.
My wife wised me up, and we got geeky- we wrote up a "boat-load" checklist, laminated it and put it on a clipboard with a dry erase marker. SWMBO was the loadmaster, checking gear off as it went in the car, checking it off again as it left the car and was stowed aboard.

That worked so well we created a cast-off checklist, ajnd a close the boat checklist
Yeah, it sounds kinda nerdy and overkill to make a list and check it off, but it served a couple of purposes, both planned and inadvertent-
1. No lost time on the water because we forgot something or broke something because we forgot to do something.
2. It gave a us a common language- if the parts of the boat like "halyard', "sheet' , boom vang" etc., are on a checklist, those are the words everyone automatically uses, which means there is a lot less "grab the halyard... the rope... not that rope,.. the other rope! NO, THE OTHER OTHER ROPE!!!" miscommunication and apologizing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Oh, and you will learn that expensive stuff (like $200 whisker poles) sink, but cheap stuff (like $12 boathooks) float.

You may learn, not that this is necessarily related to the previous sentence, that hanging boathooks and whiskerpoles from clips on the lifelines is a really bad idea when, like a dumbass, you rig the genny sheets INSIDE the shrouds, then outside the stanchions just aft of the shrouds- the first tack will launch everything.
I'm amazed we're still sailing after that first day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

And, it gets you in the habit of doing those things ... though it shouldn't be taken for granted.
bljones likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Oh, and you will learn that expensive stuff (like $200 whisker poles) sink, but cheap stuff (like $12 boathooks) float.

You may learn, not that this is necessarily related to the previous sentence, that hanging boathooks and whiskerpoles from clips on the lifelines is a really bad idea when, like a dumbass, you rig the genny sheets INSIDE the shrouds, then outside the stanchions just aft of the shrouds- the first tack will launch everything.
I'm amazed we're still sailing after that first day.
LOL I'm starting to think it may be safer to just "sail" in the driveway....nah no fun there. Good to know when it happens I won't be the first to have done it. LOL