Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013

Fairladyaffair is on a distinguished road
Re: AMF Puffer Restoration

Woot woot!
AMF Puffer Restoration-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371838995.534995.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013

Alrighty, here are a few updates. Finally after a 9 day work week I got a chance to "clean out the garage" which I used as an excuse to sand down my oars and tiller. Why pick up the mess just to make another one

Ok so first I removed the old wooden top to my center board, traced its parts, and made a new one out of PVC board. Turned out pretty good I though check it out.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1371941761

Center board turned out great I thought, but it is still in need of being re finished. I re attached the top just to show it off. The boat itself is currently at my brother in-laws place. He has a body shop and is going to finish up the fiberglass work and paint the hull a bright red as well as the fiberglass work in the cockpit and re spray it in white. The center board as well as the rudder will be painted a gloss white.

The oars and tiller are going to remain wood finish. I finished sanding them today but need to pick up a good stain. Heres what I got so far.

More to come soon, stay tuned
Old 06-23-2013

Alrighty, picked up a good stain from good old Lowe's among other things. When I was searching for some nick naks to make my hiking stick I came across some "blocks" that were made of better material but slightly heavier than the ones currently on my boom. Unfortunately I need to drill out the old rivets but do not have the tool I need to re rivet them to the boom. Anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive tool I can use to re rivet the blocks to the boom? Here is a photo of the area of which im talking about.

As I previously posted, I was only restoring a small amount of the wood work on the boat. Finished up that today and here is the before and after, enjoy.

In the above images you can see a black hiking stick I made to replace the one that was missing when I purchased the boat, and this is how I made it.

I used the same steel pipe you see electricians use for metal conduit and a set of rubber chair ends. (ghetto fabulous).

And no project would be complete without a little super glue.

And finally a little electrical tape to finish off and protect the boat from metal on fiberglass contact.

In this photo you can see its placement along the tiller. A hole was drilled through the hiking stick at a slight angle so it will easily snap into the "auto pilot."

Thanks for tuning in, please post comments if you stop by I need the feedback for improvements
Old 04-16-2014

sailormanbigd is on a distinguished road

looks like you are well on your way. I was just given a Puffer and just repaired some damage area on the hull today. Keep posting please. I was wondering if the PVC board would be rigid enough for the center board and the rudder? Mine is missing, and missing the entire rig as well
Old 04-17-2014

I would not use it for those unfortunately. Its just way to wesk and flexible.
Old 04-17-2014

I plan to pick back up on the project soon since i recently acquired an air compressor and can make short work of the sanding. Hopefully the project will be well on its way again soon.
Old 04-17-2014

jwing is on a distinguished road

I'm not a fan of Blue Hawk anything, even though saying that is contrary to my own self-interest in Lowe's profitability.

Considering that the attachment to the boom is not a simple matter and boom control is very important, if it was my project, I would return those pulleys and buy some proper sailboat blocks. The smoother action and increased reliability are worth the few extra $$ to me.
Old 04-17-2014

I agree with you. That is a concern i had when i purchased those particular pulleys :/. I have not invested in all the new hardware but when i do im probably just going to upgrade everything, even if its not necessary, just because i want the project, when completed, to be reliable and last.
Old 05-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormanbigd View Post
looks like you are well on your way. I was just given a Puffer and just repaired some damage area on the hull today. Keep posting please. I was wondering if the PVC board would be rigid enough for the center board and the rudder? Mine is missing, and missing the entire rig as well

Did you ever find the rigging, dagger board and all for your boat?
Old 05-31-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

Lookin' good

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.