SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Look at this – Listed as ready to sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100367-look-%96-listed-ready-sail.html)

pearsoncommander251 06-10-2013 10:03 PM

Look at this – Listed as ready to sail

2 Attachment(s)
Is anyone honest? I’m looking for a boat for my daughter. She currently sails 420’s (intermediate). So I start the quest for a boat that I can crew with her (Interlake, flying scot, snipe, lightning, mutineer, etc), something large enough for dad but still fast and fun for my teenage daughter and son.
Boat #1 - Mutineer
So I drive three hours to see a mutineer that is listed as good shape, ready to sail. I call the owner and discuss in detail… anything wrong? Any soft floor, deck, rigging, damage etc “All good no issues” he replies. So when I arrive the very first thing I see is a 2” hole in the floor and a 5 inch crack growing out from the hole. The floor is so soft I’m scared I will fall thru.

Boat # 2 – Snipe
Listed as “ready to sail” I ask detailed questions, is the boat seaworthy and in good general condition… “Yes no issues but the floor may need some work”. I continue to ask detailed questions… so ready to sail, all equipment is in good working order no damage rigging in good condition… “Yes”. See attached pictures! And this was not the worst thing we found.
Is anyone honest?

PaulinVictoria 06-10-2013 10:09 PM

Re: Look at this – Listed as ready to sail

Yes they are, well, at least I was and I sold my boat accordingly.

mad_machine 06-10-2013 10:18 PM

maybe some people have different ideas of what ready to sail is? Maybe he really meant "ready to sale!"

UncleJim 06-10-2013 10:22 PM

I'm sure they're ready to sail,:laugher did you ask about sailing safely? Or about getting it back to the dock without problems. lol

Good luck finding an honest salesman in these times

djaustralia 06-11-2013 02:59 AM

The only sure way to be content and confident with what your buying is to see it for yourself and draw your own conclusions. I would suggest in future ask for lots pf pictures of the boat your interested in before going on a long road trip to see it in person. If the seller won't oblige you then thats a sure sign it's not what you want. Maybe look for boats you're already familiar with so you know where to look for any potential probs. Unfortunately in the world of buying and selling theres always room for dishonesty or straight up inexperience regarding a product. My advice would be to shop around and be prepared to take as much time as you need to find the right item, ask lots of questions, seek advise or second opinions and ultimately do your homework before jumping in. Good luck. You'll find what you want soon enough.

CatMan22 06-11-2013 05:22 AM

When I sold my Catalina 22 I described the good, bad and ugly and took photos accordingly, sold it to the first person that looked at it. Fast forward 6 months later, I am looking to buy a first boat for my son and like you am dumbfounded by other people and what they consider "ready to sail ." It's amazing when you start asking about the last time the rigging was replaced, through hulls were resealed, maintenance done to keel, brightwork had anything done to it, etc. and all you here is crickets.

Tim R. 06-11-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria (Post 1042387)
Yes they are, well, at least I was and I sold my boat accordingly.

Plenty of us honest sellers out there. May be hard to find though. My last two boats sold via word of mouth.

Rhapsody-NS27 06-11-2013 09:03 AM

I was told my boat was ready to sail too. There was an end of a turnbuckle that broke during travel on the trailer. The PO said only that needed replaced and would be good. What I saw was lots of rust veins on all the standing rigging that needed replaced.

Then I see this that was on the end for the roller furling. A nice break in the connector.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-H6C1iKcaV-...0/100_2087.JPG

There was some other cleaning that needed to be done but I still bought the boat.

Another, not so ready feature of my boat was a loose seacock for the raw water intake. The backing was wood and got soft and able to twist it by hand so that was replaced too.

Even boats that are "ready to sail", I would expect there to be some project that is necessary to get it ready.

miatapaul 06-11-2013 10:09 AM

Well the type of boats you are looking at are small trailer sailors, not that it is an excuse but they are really easy to throw back into the back yard and forget about. Kids get involved in other things, dad has to work weekends. The blue tarp rips and blows off after the first year, then ten years later they need some cash and they think well the boat was only used a few times so it should still be worth lots of money. They may not even have looked at it when they throw it up on Craig's list. Heck it has been sitting in the back yard, so it must be ready to go with a little clean up!

Where are you located? Someone here may have something for sale. Not saying they might not stretch the truth, but at least they are more likely to be honest.

I think one of the most important questions is "when was the last time it was sailed?" Express that you are not looking for a project boat and want to sail this season.