Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: ICW Latest Info

One more question. Could someone please help me explain what this chart means so far as relating time to tide (low slack high)?

Pablo Creek, ICWW bridge*8720267*Tidal Data Daily View

I need to make sure I travel under this bridge at slack tide. I have a 30+ year motor with only 8 HP pushing 8000 pounds.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2013
Blue Horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Or salty southeast cruiser's network, or google icw bridge schedules, or active captain.

Call the bridge by name on channel 9 as you approach to request the next opening, stay on channel 9 until you clear the bridge. When I travel the ICW I write the bridges down in the order that I will encounter them along with opening restrictions, e.g on the hour, on the half hour, not at all between 0700-0830, etc. Take your time, plan in advance and there is no reason for the ICW to be anything but relaxing. Plenty of places to pull over and even drop the hook for the night if needed. Look on Active Captain or one of the other sites already mentioned for anchorages, here are plenty.

Good luck Harborless, I hope you are having a fun, challenging, learning, adventure!
I just did this! I also charted the most up to date shoaling areas and caution zones.
Old 06-11-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Both Skipper Bob and Dozier's have the bridge schedules.
Skipper Bob Cruising Guides

Waterway Cruising Guide | Home

They keep updates on the websites as well. They each have a selection of possible anchorages which makes dealing with unplanned/emergency stops easier.

The currents can really get strong in certain spots and must be taken into consideration. Dozier's does a good job of identifying difficult sections as far as current, confusing markers, shoal areas.

Last edited by smurphny; 06-11-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2013
Blue Horizons

Thanks for the info. However I would still ask someone to explain how to read this NOAA tide chart better than its help section does. Lokking at it I cannot figure out when slack tide is.
Old 06-11-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
I was really looking for that sort of info and anything else related to recent shoaling, shifts in the channel, outdated or inaccurate markers ect.

Lots of good advice and info on this forum but it isn't the place for this kind of navigational updates. You need all that info in one spot.

http://www.activecaptain.com/

Cruiser's Net

I check both of these before every ICW leg.
Old 06-11-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I don't use tide charts because they show tide cycles and not current which can differ by HOURS. Slack tide really is not predictable by using that kind of info. The current predictions: Tidal Current Tables are the most reliable and much closer than the tide tables. If you can find a close current prediction location, it is usually useful in figuring when the current will change where you are. Of course, observing when current changes when you're anchored is the best for predicting the next day. Local knowledge is also worth a phone or radio call.
SVAuspicious likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 06-11-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: gr
Old 06-11-2013
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you so much Bubble- I was so wrong. Can you please answer the following:
Is the Bridge of Lions and Bascule Bridge at Crescent Beach fixed? I have to assume they go up because vertical clearance is less than 20'.
I also will not be able to go under:
McCormick Bascule Bridge
Palm Valley Bridge
Lift Bridge South of Vilano Beach
Bascule Bridge below mile marker 815
Bascule Bridge at mile marker 829
Memorial Bascule Bridge
and Bascule Bridge at mile marker 845

So where do I find the information for getting through these obstacles? Please advise.
I don't know what you're using for a list of bridges but it's way out of date. McCormick is now a high rise has been for at least three years. Palm Valley is a hi-rise. There is no lift bridge south of Vilano Beach.

If my memory serves me right the only bridges between St. Johns River and Daytona that you have to worry about are are Bridge of Lions (St Augustine) Crescent Beach Bridge (S of St. Augustine) George Munson Bridge (N of New Smyrna Beach), Bulow Bridge and the two in Daytona, Main Street and Memorial.

Bridge of Lions, every half hour, Crescent Beach on request, George Munson every twenty minutes, all the rest on request. Daytona Bridges restricted during rush hour but it's not real bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2013
Blue Horizons

slack slack knots slack slack knot slack slack not slack slack knot

13 0255 0538 -5.2 0842 1101 +2.9 1513 1754 -4.5 2042 2322 +3.6
14 0335 0621 -5.2 0923 1147 +3.1 1558 1841 -4.5 2134
15 0009 +3.4 0415 0706 -5.2 1002 1233 +3.4 1646 1932 -4.5 2226

So this is my cut and paste of NOAA currrent predictions for the San Pablo ICW Fixed bridge. Does this tell me that for example on June 13 there will be slack tides at 2:55 a.m., 5:38 a.m., 8:42 a.m., 11:01 a.m., 3:13 p.m., 5:54 p.m., 8:42 p.m. and 11:22 p.m.? With projected current under the bridge at -5.2 knots, +2.9 knots, -4.5 knots, and plus 3.6 knots?
Does that mean even at slack tide the current will still be traveling this fast? Is there that man slack tides in the day or am I misunderstanding this? This is the last concern I have as this bridge has a lot of cautions attached to it and ill have local help on the approach to ponce inlet.

FYI- 13 14 and 15 are June 13th 14th and 15th

Last edited by Harborless; 06-11-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 06-11-2013
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
slack slack knots slack slack knot slack slack not slack slack knot

13 0255 0538 -5.2 0842 1101 +2.9 1513 1754 -4.5 2042 2322 +3.6
14 0335 0621 -5.2 0923 1147 +3.1 1558 1841 -4.5 2134
15 0009 +3.4 0415 0706 -5.2 1002 1233 +3.4 1646 1932 -4.5 2226

So this is my cut and paste of NOAA currrent predictions for the San Pablo ICW Fixed bridge. Does this tell me that for example on June 13 there will be slack tides at 2:55 a.m., 5:38 a.m., 8:42 a.m., 11:01 a.m., 3:13 p.m., 5:54 p.m., 8:42 p.m. and 11:22 p.m.? With projected current under the bridge at -5.2 knots, +2.9 knots, -4.5 knots, and plus 3.6 knots?
Does that mean even at slack tide the current will still be traveling this fast? Is there that man slack tides in the day or am I misunderstanding this? This is the last concern I have as this bridge has a lot of cautions attached to it and ill have local help on the approach to ponce inlet.

FYI- 13 14 and 15 are June 13th 14th and 15th
You are really wasting your time trying to figure out the currents in the ICW. I have been on the waterway for quite a few years and have given up. The maximum current you'll probably run into is about 2 knots. It will usually be against you (that's just the way it seems to work). The tide tables are a slight help but tide and current are two different things. The current can still run out well after low tide and vice versa. Just get up in the morning and go, that's the best approach.
Silvio likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the info. However I would still ask someone to explain how to read this NOAA tide chart better than its help section does. Lokking at it I cannot figure out when slack tide is.
Basically you can figure slack to be near high tide and low tide but after. As stated above current tables are far better for your purpose and there are current tables for Pablo Bridge. It is also good to know whether your facing an ebb or a flood and which direction each is. Current can be your friend or your enemy. Last time I went through Pablo Creek bridge we were doing over 10 knots, my wife says she saw 12Kts, which is pretty loft stuff for a 36 foot sail boat.

Today as an example there is a low at 0608 with slack at 0717. The max. ebb at 0417 is 5.2Kts and that would be against you. So you will have to get it right.