Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Re: ICW Latest Info

At Pablo Creek we hit slack or run with the current every time, perfectly.

How? simple. We have an ap called "currents" on my android. Gives great info on tidal flow. We have found it to be quite accurate.

You can sail in the Indian River if conditions are right.

Make darn sure you account for all the markers heading past the inlet at St Augustine. VERY confusing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

You know, advance planning is good and all that, but it seems to me you are over-analyzing all this, bigtime... No need to make it more complicated than it is, or be relying on just the right smartphone apps, or whatever... I'd suggest ignoring them for the time being, guesstimating this stuff on your own using times of high and low water will give you a far better understanding of how all this works, in the long run...

As I said in another reply to you months ago, if you hit the ICW/St John's River junction on the flood or near High Water at Mayport, you will ride a very favorable current into the landcut thru Palm Valley... Then, by the time you reach the Tolomato River, you should begin to pick up the ebb out of St Augustine Inlet, and have a nice ride down to there...

Rinse, and repeat... Leave St Augustine on the flood, passing Matanzas Inlet near HW, and at some point you will again pick up the ebb out of Ponce Inlet, and get a nice boost down towards Daytona/New Smyrna... Ride the flood again leaving NS, and you'll get a nice push out into Mosquito Lagoon...

And so on...
Old 06-13-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
At Pablo Creek we hit slack or run with the current every time, perfectly.

How? simple. We have an ap called "currents" on my android. Gives great info on tidal flow. We have found it to be quite accurate.

You can sail in the Indian River if conditions are right.

Make darn sure you account for all the markers heading past the inlet at St Augustine. VERY confusing.
Good points, Xort, especially the last one. There are three sets of markers there, the ICW, the inlet and the channel into Salt Run. ICW marker "60" appears to be an inlet marker because it seems to be too far towards the sea. It is critical to respect this marker, especially at low tides. All charts I have seen that have a magenta line place that line on the wrong side of the marker.

Talking to the Tow BoatUS guy he said he makes a living off that shoal marked by buoy "60".
Old 06-13-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Gotta second that about the markers, particularly if you're coming in from the north on the ICW.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2013
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
You know, advance planning is good and all that, but it seems to me you are over-analyzing all this, bigtime... No need to make it more complicated than it is, or be relying on just the right smartphone apps, or whatever... I'd suggest ignoring them for the time being, guesstimating this stuff on your own using times of high and low water will give you a far better understanding of how all this works, in the long run...

As I said in another reply to you months ago, if you hit the ICW/St John's River junction on the flood or near High Water at Mayport, you will ride a very favorable current into the landcut thru Palm Valley... Then, by the time you reach the Tolomato River, you should begin to pick up the ebb out of St Augustine Inlet, and have a nice ride down to there...

Rinse, and repeat... Leave St Augustine on the flood, passing Matanzas Inlet near HW, and at some point you will again pick up the ebb out of Ponce Inlet, and get a nice boost down towards Daytona/New Smyrna... Ride the flood again leaving NS, and you'll get a nice push out into Mosquito Lagoon...

And so on...
All good advice but the tides do not always cooperate. Waiting for the flood may take half of the daylight hours so we just get up in the morning and go. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. When on the Waterway heading south we go from Fernandina to Pine Island (just south of the Palm Valley cut) then go past St. Augustine on to Palm Coast (nice quiet anchorage) and then on to Daytona. Three fairly easy, short days. Our normal cruising speed is 6 knots, a fair current helps but if it's against you the day is a couple of hours longer.