SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   ICW Latest Info (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100379-icw-latest-info.html)

Harborless 06-11-2013 10:14 AM

ICW Latest Info

I am leaving from Arlington Marina Thurs morning unless something holds me up.
Here is my itinerary:
Day 1: Leave Arlington Marina. Travel down St. Johns 13 miles to ICW.
Depending on time and weather I will do one of two:
1- Short trip Anchor out 4 miles inside ICW at (N 30 19 709, W 081 26 212)
Total day trip: 17.4 Miles
2- Regular trip- Anchor 25 miles inside ICW at (N 30 03 059, W 081 21 951)
Total day trip: 37 Miles

Day 2: Leave Anchorage and travel south down ICW to one of two Marinas for the night.
Depending on day 1 this will either be:
1- (N 29 55 033, W 081 18 467) with a total day trip of 33 miles.
2- (N 29 34 620, W 081 11 607) with a total day trip of 38 miles

Day 3: Leave Marina and travel south down ICW . If I have had to go the shorter of the routes then I will have to stop another night at a Marina
(N 29 34 620, W 081 11 607) This will put me 75 miles from my start point with 42 miles left on Day 4 to the New Smyrna Beach Municipal Marina.
If I have been able to maintain the longer route schedule I will have two choices of stopping points planned right now. One is north of Ponce Inlet at Inlet Harbor and the other is at New Smyrna Beach Municipal Marina. However in either case I will be pretty much there.
The trip should take 3-4 days max. I will motor down. Sailing is not possible with a Southerly wind and the narrow channel of the ICW. I will have no room for tacking and the ICW is very narrowly dredged in many places. I am hoping for 3.5 knots avg speed- but am planning for 2.7 knots for time calculations. I will be carrying 22 gallons of fuel. 12 in the tank, 10 in jerry cans.

Is there any tips, advice, notes, ect. I need to be made aware of from you guys? Is 3 days practical or is 4 more likely.. The problem with this ICW route is a lack of pull off points if things go south or if night approaches before I am at my next check point.
Any and all advice is very much appreciated. This is my first solo trip of any real length. 115 miles total.
Thank you all.

BubbleheadMd 06-11-2013 10:17 AM

Re: ICW Latest Info

Have you made note of any draw bridges that might need to open for you, and their schedule? Some I think, will open upon request and some open on schedules.

Just a thought.

Also- What was the condition of your hull and prop? Did you get that cleaned up so that your engine will provide maximum power?

Harborless 06-11-2013 11:12 AM

Blissful Bottoms is cleaning today at high tide (12-1 pm)

I will revisit the charts to make sure.

I was really looking for that sort of info and anything else related to recent shoaling, shifts in the channel, outdated or inaccurate markers ect ect.
I would really love to have one trip go without problems.

Harborless 06-11-2013 11:26 AM

Thank you so much Bubble- I was so wrong. Can you please answer the following:
Is the Bridge of Lions and Bascule Bridge at Crescent Beach fixed? I have to assume they go up because vertical clearance is less than 20'.
I also will not be able to go under:
McCormick Bascule Bridge
Palm Valley Bridge
Lift Bridge South of Vilano Beach
Bascule Bridge below mile marker 815
Bascule Bridge at mile marker 829
Memorial Bascule Bridge
and Bascule Bridge at mile marker 845

So where do I find the information for getting through these obstacles? Please advise.

johnnyquest37 06-11-2013 11:33 AM

Snowbirders.Net

BubbleheadMd 06-11-2013 11:55 AM

Follow Johnny' link.

Unfortunately, I only know that bridges are an obstacle on the ICW, I don't know anything about specific bridges or their schedules.

PBzeer 06-11-2013 11:59 AM

Or use Cruiser's Net

Silvio 06-11-2013 12:47 PM

Or salty southeast cruiser's network, or google icw bridge schedules, or active captain.

Call the bridge by name on channel 9 as you approach to request the next opening, stay on channel 9 until you clear the bridge. When I travel the ICW I write the bridges down in the order that I will encounter them along with opening restrictions, e.g on the hour, on the half hour, not at all between 0700-0830, etc. Take your time, plan in advance and there is no reason for the ICW to be anything but relaxing. Plenty of places to pull over and even drop the hook for the night if needed. Look on Active Captain or one of the other sites already mentioned for anchorages, here are plenty.

Good luck Harborless, I hope you are having a fun, challenging, learning, adventure!

PBzeer 06-11-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

salty southeast cruiser's network
That's Cruiser's Net.

Silvio 06-11-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBzeer (Post 1042708)
That's Cruiser's Net.

Sorry about that PBzeer, I actually wondered that after I hit send :o

That is one of the better sites imho for truly up to date info.