Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013

paulatcrag is on a distinguished road
trailerable boat

Hello all, I sail a northwesterly 21 with a swing keel and I love it on the lakes as it is beachable but want to do more extended trips in SE Alaska and was looking for suggestions on a replacement boat. We don,t want to give up our lakes so something with a lifting keel or shallow draft would be prefferable, Anything that is trailerable, reasonable accommodation for 2 that l can tow with a 1 ton 4wd truck. We live in northern Canada so initial search will be by internet to narrow the choices before we take a long expensive trip south to look seriously. Thanks in advance. Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: trailerable boat

Nor'sea 27.
Several for sale on the Yahoo Nor'sea group. One located in Juneau Alaska.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captainmeme For This Useful Post:
paulatcrag (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Or not quite so heavy duty cruisey.. Catalina 25, Balboa 26, Laguna/Windrose lift keel versions, or a bit sportier still, S2 7.9; Hunter 26 if you want to go newer/water ballast, San Juan made some centerboard/lift keel boats in mid 20s, or here's a bit of a rare bird, C&C Mega 30! (lift keel version)

CATALINA 25 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Sailboats built by Laguna Yachts by year on Sailboatdata.com

Sailboats built by S2 Yachts (USA) by year on Sailboatdata.com

HUNTER 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

http://sailboatdata.com/view_builder.asp?builder_id=34

MEGA 30 OD (C&C) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
paulatcrag (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I really liked the S2's that I was aboard. Never got an owner to let one go at a price I was willing to pay, but they are very nice boats. A C25 is also an excellent choice, especially if you can find one with a wing keel.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
paulatcrag (06-11-2013)
Old 06-12-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Paul,

Pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. Lots of great stuff on the subject but more important for you right now is the treasure trove of trailerables he lists in the back. Lots of photos, sketches, specs, pros and cons on about 50 boats in the 15 to 28 foot range. Two things that are important: head room and head room. An enclosed head is a must. And being able to stand in you boat is huge. Our Lancer 25 has both but the head is not made for a large person. If you're taking a leak, you look like a tank commander, hatch open, chest up facing into the wind. Only missing sunglasses and pearl handled pistols. Also, keep an eye on the sailing characteristics. I like our Lancer but she doesn't tack worth beans and has lots of leeward travel. Nature of the long fat keel.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DonScribner For This Useful Post:
paulatcrag (06-15-2013)
Old 06-12-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

We really like our S2 7.9. My wife has head room in it, I do not. (5'2" of head room). It has a separate head with a curtain rather than a door. Fairly sparse on other amenities (has an icebox and a small sink with a hand pump). Tankage for water is basically non-existant (4-6 gallons maybe?). We've got the inboard model, which I like. As to raising and lowering the mast...well...its easy with three people (using the spinnaker pole in combination with the mainsheet as a ginpole), and DOABLE with two people, but much more nervewracking and harder.. Easy to trailer though with the lifting daggerboard keel! If you can, get one with a trailer that has rollers rather than bunks...that last foot that you need to crank it forward when you take it out of the water can be a doozy on bunks.. Over all, sails great (it is a MORC boat after all..), quite a lot of room on the inside for this size of boat (9' beam and two quarter berths rather than one quarter berth and a full galley help with this). She does have a very shallow bilge, so don't expect to store much under the floor.. I tow ours with a diesel F250.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhys05 For This Useful Post:
paulatcrag (06-15-2013)
Old 06-12-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

If you are looking for easy trailering, good sailing performance and plenty of space, have a look at the Macgregor 26S (the predecessor of the motor sailor). With her shallow draft of a minimum 38 cms when the swing keel is up, she is great for exploring creeks and rivers. She can be beached and can easily be handled by one. The inside is big enough for two adults and two young kids to spend a weekend on her and I know of couples who've used theirs for extended vacations together. Trailer and boat together weigh around 1200 kgs, so you do not need a too powerful car to tow.
The Following User Says Thank You to FinallySailing For This Useful Post:
paulatcrag (06-15-2013)
Old 06-12-2013

QuickMick is on a distinguished road

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Balboa. Maybe look at some O'days as well.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
The Following User Says Thank You to QuickMick For This Useful Post:
paulatcrag (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013

paulatcrag is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the replies. That Nor'sea is one i will look closer at. I have been on a Catalina and that would suit me fine, i have never been on a hunter 250 or 260 but the walk thru transom sure looks good, water balast would make bringing it up the White Pass easier. There is a S2 26 available locally but a bit pricy with a expensive trailer. Thank you Don I have ordered my copy of the book, looks like its what i need. One thing i really like about my 21 is that the centerboard retracts up into the hull and i don't have to worry about it grinding itself to death on a beach with a bit of swell. The centerboard case inside is a small price for beachability.