SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Repowering

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  TheMadchef 
#1 ·
Hi all...seeking advice on re powering my 1987 mirage 29. The volvo penta 2002 18hp engine I have currently is done. Due to a bad winterization it has a cracked block and a ruined transmission :( I'm in Ontario and having a hard time finding a suitable used engine to replace this one....I'm not set on any particular brand but I need something! And id like to sail this summer! I have been looking into the beta engines as they are more reasonably priced than the big name brands.. Anyone have experience or input on the beta engines? Or other sources for used engines?

Thanks

#4 ·
My Volvo MD11 was not worth fixing and I bought a Beta-25 with some upgrades (alternator etc) and am very happy with it.

Some additional things to consider when repowering with a different engine are:
Will you need to rebuild the engine beds for the new (smaller and lighter) engine?

New transmission?

Propeller shaft rotation and possible need for a new propeller.

Getting the correct angle between the engine/transmission and propeller shaft.

Will you need to change your muffler/exhaust.

Once it is all done and paid for you should be very happy. Stanley at Beta Marine (North Carolina) was very helpful.

Finding a great mechanic can save you in the long run; I am still having issues fixed from an installation 2 years ago.

Best wishes,

George

#6 ·
We just repowered with a Beta 38. Keep in mind there is a lot more to the cost of installing a new engine than just the engine. I don't know much about your boat or the Volvo but you may try to find a used replacement first. Beta engines are not cheaper than any of the other big manufacturers either, but they are better engineered for servicing than most.

Know that to repower its gonna cost a lot more than if you found a used replacement that would use the same muffler, exhaust hose, engine panel, wiring harnesses, etc....

#7 ·
.....Know that to repower its gonna cost a lot more than if you found a used replacement that would use the same muffler, exhaust hose, engine panel, wiring harnesses, etc....
.... prop shaft, propellor (if rotation different), installation charges (unless DIY).. it can really add up, perhaps to the point of equalling the value of the boat in some cases..

Still, one needs to be able to power and an outboard is far from ideal...

From what I understand the Volvo 2000 series was not their best line, but finding an engine that matches up as closely as possible to your existing setup (incl gear ratio/rotation) will greatly simplify the job and reduce costs overall.

#8 ·
Your between a rock and a hard place

The boat has little or no value without a motor and it not like buying another used boat with and old motor guarantee's you time X of service

If the boat meets your needs and you plan on keeping it for any length of time what else can you do because dropping in another raw water cooled Volvo is not much of a solution as saltwater corrosion is there main failure mode

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
I am very weary if buying a used engine online form eBay, Craigslist, whatever. I just don't trust people. I want that thing compression tested and ok'd by a reputable mechanic before purchase. The beta 20 is awesome. But if I do the installation myself it comes with a price tag of around 9k. Part of this is due to opposite rotation as the volvo, requiring a new prop or run in reverse, then a transmission oil cooler is needed and new throttle/shifter assembly to accommodate opposite cable movement as well as other concerns such as mounting issues. All if which can be done but are expensive. Another option i have found recently is a used volvo penta 2002 (same engine in currently) for 5 k from a reputable marine engine supplier nearby. They will test the engine before I purchase.
The choice is, brand new beta, or used volvo. Oh yeah and delivery time would be a week
for the volvo or a month plus for the beta. 4k sure could buy a sweet solar system and a new autopilot...

#13 ·
The Volvo 2002 at 5k must include installation, and 90 day guarantee. Even at 4k they are well paid. Then you will sail the 2013 season.
An engine and tranny for 1K is OK. You can test it on a pallet. At worst you have a replacement block and many extra valuable parts.
You are in a sailing region with a lot of independant mechanics that can do the complete installation at $30 an hour.
Possibly for 1.5K you will be more assured.
Try a want ad on Kijiji, Ontario too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.