SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Expected Cruising Speed?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
I am a novice, both to sailing and to these forums. I have a Hanse 400 (2011) with a Volvo Penta 40-hp engine. I'm wondering what you would expect the average cruising speed to be at about 2200 rpms in average seas? Thanks so much for your help!

#5 ·
Have you not taken possession yet?? Chuckles is right, you'll have to see how your prop/engine combination works out for you, but certainly I'd think you could do 6.5+ knots under power unless big chop/headwinds are at play..

#6 ·
I'd hesitate to put a speed on a specific RPM - but - 40 foot modern boat with a 40 hp engine should be able to make hull speed or near it.
My 20k pound (light load) 38 foot Irwin can eventually get there with it's 44hp, in flat water and a 16 inch max prop 3 blade set to 15 pitch (according to previous owner, I've not seen it, water's too murky).

#7 ·
True... and the Hanse has a pretty long waterline so 7 or better is likely.

#9 ·
From the boat review of the Hanse 40 with Volvo Penta 40hp I linked to earlier:
"Once the sails were stashed-the boat is equipped with an excellent lazy-jack system for corralling the main-we conducted trials under power and saw speeds of 7.5 knots at 2,500 rpm and about 8 knots when ramped up to 3,000 rpm. The boat backed down with authority and without vibration."

#12 ·
True

The review posted showed 7.5 at 2500 rpm.

Other factors include

prop
bottom
towing
etc..

#17 ·
All those formulas make assumptions, ie..., clean bottom, perfect prop, dead calm conditions, etc..., most of which never seem to exist. I suspect that 7 would be very optimistic, and 6 would be somewhat more realistic under perfect conditions. Put some crud on the bottom, a couple barnacles on the prop, and 5 is about it.

Just sayin,

Gary :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.