Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: sailing as i write

I also hit a t storm. Had oars stowed in dinghy behind boat. Dinghy capsized, oars lost. Other than that not a bad day so long as anchors dont drag. I have two our bow and stern. Ind is supposed to change to north tonight. I have my anchor drag alarm onlets hope ityou stays silent. Thank youyou all-
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
As I mentioned elsewhere around here...on my Droid I use 'currents". Fantastic tool for timing current flows
Old 06-13-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Tried to post this before but it seemed to get lost; Sailnet was down late this morning (EDT?) Anyway: The direction of the current in the ICW could be fair or foul for each segment of your trip depending on how close you are to the inlet. If the tide is (for example) ebbing, the water will be rushing toward the nearest cut or inlet. As you proceed, the current will be fair till you get alongside that inlet, then foul as you motor or sail parallel to the shore away from that inlet and stay foul until you get to the divide where the water goes toward the next inlet in line, when your current will be fair again. If you compare your GPS speed over ground to your knotmeter speed through the water, you will know if it is fair or foul. Or look at a passing piling or daymark: water piles up on the side facing the current and there is a small slick behind on the downcurrent side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-13-2013

Low tide 8 am tomorrow, high 2 pm tomorrow, per: Pablo Creek, ICWW bridge*8720267*Tidal Data Daily View
Bene505 likes this.

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 06-13-2013

And slack current tomorrow lags low tide by about an hour: Tides.INFO: Ocean and river tide predictions for Pablo Creek bascule bridge, Florida Current (3d)) gives slack at 9:22 AM
Bene505 likes this.

and
! And a new project:
Old 06-13-2013
Blue Horizons

You are incredibly awesome. Thank you that is what i needed. So i will sleep in until 7i then and be ready to motor at 9the to catch the slack through the bridge. Im hopeing with the tide coming in after slack i can make good time until 2 when i goes low. Hopefully by that time ill be close enoguh to st augastine inlet to ride that as well. I have 37to miles to go and cant start until 9i am. Im averaging 33 mph right now. At least it doesnt get dark until late. Thanks again wind really thats exqctly what i needed i appreciate your time and help very much
Old 06-13-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Im averaging 33 mph right now.
Wow. The engine repair must have been really, really, good.
mr_f, Minnesail and Morild like this.
Old 06-14-2013
Blue Horizons

Today has been a great day. I left at 839tide and the san paublo was easily tamed. Rode the current down to spanish landing averaging 4 to 4.5. Hit a thunderstorm with some big gust. Tried to put my nose on the shore. Had to 75%you power to nose up and bust thorugh. Now im passing red 36 9 miles out of st augastine and the tide is going out so im avg 4 mph eight now. Have a slip reserved at comanchee cove to shower and enjoy some junk food out after all these salmon sandwishes. Tmmrw low tide is around 7630 which means i can leave at 8first and ride the town towards dayton. Sorry my phone is SO stupid. Anyway im hoping to reach daytona by end of travel tmmrw and finish up to nsb on sunday. So long as current favors me again tmmrw should be no issues until the approach to ponce where lots of shoaling is. Will keep you updated.
Old 06-14-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Thank for the update. A little envious here. Enjoy the trip.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 06-14-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

I'm so glad that things are going well for you.
I read thru the post & it put a small on my face.

Good luck with the rest of your trip!