SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   sailing as i write (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100427-sailing-i-write.html)

Harborless 06-13-2013 10:00 AM

sailing as i write

Hello! The trip has began! Making 4.2 mph at present. Would like to ask if anyone can tell me how i will no if the icw will be a flow or ebb tide? Im starting it at the st johns intersection going south. Any and all information regarding this is appreciated.
so long sophie (my engine) is purring as much a s a single cylinder knocker can purr. Wish me luck sailnet. 2 years in the making right now.
-harborless

blutoyz 06-13-2013 10:11 AM

Re: sailing as i write

I use an app called tide graph from brainware...It is pretty easy and you can choose the location

Godspeed

jimgo 06-13-2013 10:44 AM

Good luck! Be sure to check in!

tommays 06-13-2013 10:50 AM

Its flood and ebb and it depends on were you are as to which is favorable

The Eldridge tide book for the area would be your friend as with the pictures of each place it makes it much simpler to understand how the water flows and plan ahead of time what will be the most favorable times

For example if I go from Northport to Greenport I have to go through Plum Gut and need to ride the ebb out through the sound BUT then you need to turn west into Greenport and your in foul current for the last 15 miles

If you study when the current chart you can hit the same place at slack and start to ride the flood in saving a HUGE amount of time as the water is moving at 3 plus knots

Sal Paradise 06-13-2013 11:01 AM

Tide Location Selection for Florida Atlantic

northoceanbeach 06-13-2013 05:00 PM

Can't help you with the tides but good luck. Happy for ou b

Frogwatch 06-13-2013 05:38 PM

Have fun, you've earned it.

Seaduction 06-13-2013 05:41 PM

Look at the pilings that support the daymark navaids. Barnacles showing mean tide is down from high. Current ripples show on the downstream side of the pilings so you can tell which way the current is going. Not as sophisticated as iphone apps, etc. but it sure works.

travlineasy 06-13-2013 05:44 PM

I use my Lowrance HDS7 GPS/Plotter. Tide and current tables are all built in and the machine is very user friendly.

Gary :cool:

Harborless 06-13-2013 06:58 PM

HHello all. Bit of a slow going today. I really need to learn these tides better. Im anchored right off the dreaded san pablo right now. Im planning on trying to leave at first light to ride the incoming tide down so when i get near st augastine and the tide starts going out hoppefully ill be able to ride that as well. Because motoring for hours at 2the or 1a mph sucks. Made good time until tide changed.

I have no internet access at anchor i am using my phone. Can someone please help a poor solo sailor out and tell me if im right about tmmrws tide being low around 630 am meaning i can ride the incoming tide through the san pablo? I CANNOT make that bridge on an ebb tide. I have to run it at slack or flow and i dont want to lose a lot of time. I have 37to miles to motor tmmrw averaging 3 to 4the mph so please help and in this case treat me like i am stupid when you explain the answer. Babarney style please! This is my only obstacle until ponce inlet