SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Champlain Canal Closure (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100437-champlain-canal-closure.html)

smurphny 06-13-2013 04:01 PM

Champlain Canal Closure

Alert just rec'd from Canal Authority:

LOCK CLOSURE CHAMPLAIN CANAL LOCKS C1 TO C7

Mariners are advised that the Champlain Canal from Lock C-1 in Waterford to Lock C-7 in Fort Edward has temporarily closed due to high water and excessive current associated with heavy rainfall.

For updates and information, please call 1-800-4CANAL4 or visit New York State Canals

For updates and information monitor 1-800-4CANAL4 and New York State Canals.
10:57:22AM 6/13/13

CapnChuck 06-13-2013 04:14 PM

Re: Champlain Canal Closure

That's not the only closure...

New York State Canal System, Lock and Canal Closures MNN061313

LOCK CLOSURE ERIE CANAL LOCKS E6 TO E19

Mariners be advised that the Erie Canal from Lock E-6 in Crescent to Lock E-19 in Frankfort has temporarily closed due to high water

CLOSURE ERIE CANAL BETWEEN LOCKS E20 TO E25

temporarily closed due to high water levels and excessive current associated with heavy rainfall.

Oswego Canal between Lock O-1 in Phoenix to Lock O-8 in Oswego are also now temporarily closed due to high water levels and excessive current associated with heavy rainfall.

CLOSURE CAYUGA-SENECA CANAL BETWEEN LOCKS CS1 AND C12

temporarily closed due to high water levels and excessive current associated with heavy rainfall..

LOCK CLOSURE CHAMPLAIN CANAL LOCKS C1 TO C7

Mariners are advised that the Champlain Canal from Lock C-1 in Waterford to Lock C-7 in Fort Edward has temporarily closed due to high water and excessive current associated with heavy rainfall.

For updates and information monitor 1-800-4CANAL4 and New York State Canals
10:57:22AM 6/13/13

Chuck Baier

mad_machine 06-13-2013 05:33 PM

damn.. my boat is still up there on the Lake. I hope it is ok

huntermj 06-13-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1043640)
damn.. my boat is still up there on the Lake. I hope it is ok

The lake level is about 99 feet right now, so it is high but not bad,
are you on a mooring or a dock?

mad_machine 06-13-2013 07:13 PM

it's on a trailer waiting for me to go up there and get it. I just bought a truck, so hopefully next week

smurphny 06-14-2013 07:24 AM

I just got back from running the boat down to Florida and there is no apparent flooding condition where I am. The problems in the canals don't necessarily mean problems elsewhere. Usually, high current in the Hudson and a lot of debris that clogs the gates are the reasons for closings. The Champlain Canal IS the Hudson in spots and a few of the locks experience a great deal of current.