SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Trade Winds Dying (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/100446-trade-winds-dying.html)

casey1999 06-13-2013 06:22 PM

Trade Winds Dying

Here in Hawaii, the number of trade wind days has dropped 30% in the last 40 years:

More Muggy Days Ahead? Hawaii Trade Winds Are Dying Down - Honolulu Civil Beat

Have those of you in other trade wind areas like the Carribean noticed a drop in trade winds over even the last 10 or 20 years?

If things continue, there may not be an around the world "trade wind" route in the next 50 years.

northoceanbeach 06-13-2013 06:43 PM

Re: Trade Winds Dying

When I lived there which was for 12 years up until 2 and a half years ago, the trade winds were at least 70% of the time. At least. Got to be wrong.

casey1999 06-13-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1043692)
When I lived there which was for 12 years up until 2 and a half years ago, the trade winds were at least 70% of the time. At least. Got to be wrong.

I don't think the article is wrong. Somthing is definitely up with the trade winds. We don't have the typical trade wind patterns we had even say 10 years ago, and definitey a big change from what I remember 25 years ago. In the summer the trades should blow nearly every day. Now many days in the summer we get very light trades, or no trades at all. Many times, when we do get trades, they are not the "gentle trades" but strong trades gusting to 35 knots- like today. I have spoken to some of the local old timers, they agree, somthing is changing.

Also as the article states, the trades are changing direction from a normal north east to a more easterly.

northoceanbeach 06-13-2013 07:03 PM

Nah. If the trades were always so gentle then Maui wouldn't have been the windsurfing capital of the world for so long.

casey1999 06-13-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1043707)
Nah. If the trades were always so gentle then Maui wouldn't have been the windsurfing capital of the world for so long.

Winds are only good on maui because the venturi effect between the west maui moutains and Haleakala. I am a windsurfer and the number of sailable days are definitely down from 20 years ago on all islands- even maui.

casey1999 06-13-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1043707)

FYI, just a snap shot but it tells some of the story:

http://www.mauiwindsurfing.net/2011/...sails-testing/

2012 Windsurfing Sails Testing
Categories: Windsurfing News, Windsurfing Report

Just when I thought that we were going to close out February with light, unsailable days, the wind surprised everyone yesterday and came up to sailable levels in the upper teens and occasional hitting 20.

I was pretty dubious when I saw the readings but headed down to the beach anyway. Looked pretty marginal but I rigged up my 5.7 and headed out. Got planing on the outbound reach, but that was the extent of that. Those who hit the water before I got there scored, as well as those who stuck around after I left it looks like.

The Windsurfing Magazine test crew hard at work
Lots of 2012 sail testing going on at Kanaha yesterday. Josh Sampiero and the Windsurfing Magazine test crew are on Maui trying to test some 2012 sails for an upcoming issue. It’s been tough, with a deadline looming and frustratingly light winds most of February. They got on some 6+ meter stuff while I was out yesterday, testing some 2012 Maui Sails, 2012 Goyas, 2012 Severne and 2012 Sailworks among others.

Kai Hopf and the North Sails development and test team have been hanging out at Kanaha all winter and were there testing yesterday as well. Judging from the number of sails they’ve been testing all winter it’s obvious they’re working hard to get their 2012 sail line dialed in. You’ll probably see some new and different stuff from North for 2012 so keep an eye on them.

March is almost here and that means that the annual photo shoot season is almost upon us. This March and April we’ll be seeing most of the big brands like Neil Pryde, North, Starboard, Fanatic and others arriving with all their new 2012 gear and team riders to get the shots you’ll be seeing in the magazines and brochures next fall. Hopefully our spring trade winds will cooperate more than our winter winds have. Here’s some more photos of the testing action yesterday.

northoceanbeach 06-13-2013 07:22 PM

That's not why winds are good on Maui that's why they are stronger but they sill need the trade winds to be strong in the first place. I've been blasted by singing sand and water everywhere from Maalaea to Kohala to ehukai. (Auto correct hates Hawaiian).

Maybe you're right. It just doesn't seem like it to me.

casey1999 06-13-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1043723)
That's not why winds are good on Maui that's why they are stronger but they sill need the trade winds to be strong in the first place. I've been blasted by singing sand and water everywhere from Maalaea to Kohala to ehukai. (Auto correct hates Hawaiian).

Maybe you're right. It just doesn't seem like it to me.

I hope I am wrong about the trades, and they come back more consistent. That way I can continue to live without air conditioning, and windsurf in consistent 25 kn winds, and sail the big boat in winds that are not gusting to 40 knots all this with the normal NE direction.

Maui needs NE trades, if the trades are to E, which they have been going to more consistently, then no good. One thing that has happened here, very few windsurfers left, most have gone to kiting. Interesting the kites can sail in a much lower wind range than a good windsurf wave board. Kites will not be as impacted by low wind conditions like windsurfers.

Would be good to hear what is going on in Carribean.

northoceanbeach 06-13-2013 08:10 PM

I know. I'd wanted to learn to windsurf forever that was the reason I moved to Maui. I'd say only one in three new people were learning to windsurf over kite. I've never tried kiting.

Carribean trades it is.

travlineasy 06-13-2013 08:11 PM

In the Florida Keys, at least during the winter months, when the trades are strongest, there were a lot of boats stuck in Marathon and other locations waiting for a good weather window to cross to the Bahamas. The weather opportunities were quite rare, IMO, about two days a month at best. The remainder of January, February and March were too windy to make a safe crossing in boats less than 40 feet. There were many, many days when I wanted to just go offshore, slip into the nearby Gulf Stream and cruise around, but those 25 to 35-knot winds and 8 to 10-foot seas kept me in the sheltered waters on the Gulf side of 7-Mile Bridge. That was OK, though - I had a ball sailing through the shallows where depths ranged just 7 to 10 feet and you could see thousands of fish skittering beneath the boat.

Cheers,

Gary :cool: