Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida is the First!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
Um, is this sailing related? Seems political or, at least, off-topic.
Some of us use gasoline engines that can be damaged by long term use of ethanol. I found it informative and probably would not have noticed it had it been in the political forum cesspool
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Some of us use gasoline engines that can be damaged by long term use of ethanol. I found it informative and probably would not have noticed it had it been in the political forum cesspool
OR short term use. Small outboards can expereince phase separation after just a few weeks if the vent is left open and the weather is just wrong.

This is certainly a sailing topic for the simple reason that e10 burns in the vast majority of car without notice (small mileage hit) but affects most outboards to some small extent. A smaller percentage, depending on usage and tank design, are made miserable.

It is not our fault that it has been made political. It remains important, as further increases could be real trouble. Any non-oxygen sensor engine is going to face problems with enleanment if the ethanol blend goes higher.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
If you were REALLY worried about your fuel milage you wouldn't drive such a gas hog.
I bought it for towing... I still have the saab for daily use

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2013

fatcatsailor is on a distinguished road

I live close to a alcohol plant up here. Know farmers that raise corn for them. They say it costs as much to produce it than what they get out of it. Never did make much sense to burn our food.
Old 06-15-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Florida will be alcohol free,"
Didn't Scottie learn that Prohibition didn't work last time around?

So now, Florida will require SPECIAL gasoline compared to whatever else is in the distribution system...why do I get the feeling that will add 50c to the gallon?

I'm all in favor of getting the damned booze out of the the gasoline, my car loses about 10% mileage running on gasahol nonsense. I just can't see bucking the system is going to work on a patchwork basis. Still...it would be nice to see that happen.

When is this supposed to go into effect?