Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Evaporative Cooler

Has anybody tried this on the cabin of a sailboat? Will it ruin the wood and seats??
Will it save money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road
Re: Evaporative Cooler

Won't work unless you're in a place thats dry & hot like CO, NM, AZ
Old 06-14-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Most people try to keep the humidity as low as possible on their boat, to keep the mildew/fungus growth down. An evaporative cooler will do exactly the opposite. They ain't called "swamp coolers" for nuthin'.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-14-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

If you have DEEP water you can drop a big pipe down there and bring up COLD water LOL

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Agreed, and yes- it will warp interior wood. My wife and I lived in Tucson for 25 yrs with swamp coolers used for most of the places we lived until we finished college. It works amazingly well during the dry summer months (so much so, you need blankets to stay warm at night), but that's when the humidity is < 30% at night and frequently < 10% during the day. During the monsoon season, you wish you had regular old AC, because at humidity levels over 50% it really struggles to be effective. Our last home had both evap and heat-pump cooling, and the previous owners used it during the dry season, warping all of the interior doors they had made by hand from ponderosa pine. We only used the AC for the 10 yrs we lived there and still have moldy/warped books and record jackets from the older houses we lived in-- fond memories!
Old 06-14-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I designed one for my Morgan 33 O.I. that actually worked quite well. Essentially, it's just a cooler chest with a 72mm computer fan mounted on a thin, plywood panel and some vent openings. It took the 88-degree cabin temperature down to 75 in about 45 minutes, which I thought was pretty darned efficient.

As for the humidity, sure, it's gonna be higher, but it beat the Hell out of trying to sleep in a cabin that resembled a sauna. And, I don't think the humidity was that much higher than the humidity outside the cabin during mid August in Chesapeake Bay's upper reaches, which averages about 90 percent that time of year.

A couple 10-pound blocks and a 6-pound bag of ice was good for about 12 hours of cooling, and that PC fan was quiet as a mouse. Additionally, the fan drew just .14 amps, and only cost about $7 from Amazon.com. The cooler chest also had a 6-pack of beer and a couple bottles of wine in it, all of which was still ice cold the next day.

If you do a Google search, you'll find some really neat designs for similar types of homemade air conditioning systems, most of which cost next to nothing to construct.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 06-15-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Very cool Gary. I live in SC and the Summers are verry humid here. So your cooler may work. I only come to the boat twice or three thimes a Month. what other idea ? how can we stay cool with attaching a hose hold unit to the boat ?
Old 06-15-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

denise, in the NE we can have a nice thermocline 5-20 feet down, so what we call DEEP water isn't needed to get cold water. Drop a fire hose, run a pump...I really think it would work well, except for the need for some hundred feet of thin copper cooling coils, with the cost of copper these days and the way seawater would eventually eat it.

What's a couple three hundred feet of quarter-inch monel tubing cost, anyway?
Old 06-15-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
denise, in the NE we can have a nice thermocline 5-20 feet down, so what we call DEEP water isn't needed to get cold water. Drop a fire hose, run a pump...I really think it would work well, except for the need for some hundred feet of thin copper cooling coils, with the cost of copper these days and the way seawater would eventually eat it.

What's a couple three hundred feet of quarter-inch monel tubing cost, anyway?
Oh.. now you have me doing some "seat of the pants" engineering/brainstorming

I'm wondering if the pump would only need "head" to lift the water from the surface to the boat only since the whole line would be immersed and not subject to lift, since it's just being displaced as it's drawn off the top.

Gets pretty cold "down there"

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-15-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Back a few years ago there was a company that sold these deep water a/c units. It worked very much like a regular A/C with a coil similar to the evaporator coil in standard A/C but instead of cold Freon you ran cold water pumped from deep enough to get cold water. Unlike the swamp cooler these units actually lowered the relative humidity. They also had the advantage that they were not power hungry like regular A/C units and could be run off a 12 volt power supply.

They didn't seem to take off and I pretty sure they are no longer available commercially. Would make a pretty good DIY project.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.