Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Motor vs Rowing inflatable dinghy...

Given the interest in rowing and sailing I think you might like a sailing tender. I have a Dyer Dhow Midget, which is quite small and simple. There are plenty of examples in the 10' range that are better sailboats (with supported masts and sometimes even a jib). I'm surprised not to see many of these on SF Craigslist, they are common on the Seattle one. Here is an example of a larger one:
11' Ranger Sailboat

or a smaller one:
RANGER SAILING DINGHY 8' W/ Full Sail Rig

My dinghy outboard is the 2hp Honda. I bought it used on Craigslist from the original owner. It's extremely simple with no neutral or reverse. It is also a workhorse and reliable and light at about 25lbs (the current version is 30lbs). Gas is no fus, the fuel tank is built in. However the fuel tank is also very small (1 liter) and only lasts about an hour. I mostly use it on my inflatable, but I've stuck it onto my Dyer Dhow Midget too.
Old 06-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Have you seen the Seagull engines?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Have you seen the Seagull engines?
why would you wish a seagull on him?
davidpm and Jgbrown like this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

If you bought that dinghy specifically for rowing, then you certainly bought the wrong boat! RIBs are absolute pigs to row! You might want to consider a small Whitehall style row boat instead. They are a dream to row, and you can make good headway even against wind and waves!

Of course inflatables definitely have their strong points as tenders. We have an 8' Aquapro, and we use a Yamaha 4hp 2stroke on it. The engine weighs under 50lb and has a full F-N-R transmission. If you want the lightest engine possible, try to find an old Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury (They are all identical except for branding) 2.5hp 2 stroke. They are dead simple, reliable and ridiculously light. They have F-N only, and you spin the engine 180deg for reverse.

Hull#101
Old 06-15-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
I'm not sure where you are located but here in the pnw we have lots of current, so a motor is almost mandatory. A little 4hp motor with an integrated tank only weights about 40lbs. It can be hung on your stern rail, no problem.
I have been rowing mine and having no problems. Often on days like today I am a twenty minute row from the dock in currents and wind and I get funny looks! Like "what is that guy doing rowing?" I never even considered a motor and I am perfectly happy as is. I think if you get one you will weigh down your dinghy and make it harder to row and I think if you have the option you will end up using it all the time.

I'm a little frustrated by some of the looks I get and the comments. I get people shouting patronizing comments at me several times a week. This week I had

" keep rowing you'll get there"
And
" why don't ou get a motor."

This from people who will happily cruise to an island and anchor for a week with nothing to do and just sit around and relax, somehow when it comes to a dinghy they are in too much of a hurry to row for fifteen minutes.

I think it's a good way for excercise like you already know. I guess you're just going to have to avoid the 4 knot currents. I can't imagine they are that common where you might be rowing.
Old 06-15-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

in wind is hard to row the puffboat--also current--both same time--even funner...i would buy whatever small or whatever sized engine is recommended for the size of boat and play in thes un without too much worry about getting home---oh yes--always take your oars with ye when you go exploring.......might wanna consider a kayak for sploring--they are fast and some are even stable.....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 06-15-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

I had an inflatable similar to yours with a Honda 2HP 4 stroke. With two of us plus gear it would go about 5 knots. Weighed 27 lbs and the small tank would last all day trolling.
I used to carry an extra pint can of gas but never had to use it.

Rowing in anything but calm winds and much current was a chore. don't work hard, work smart.

Paul T
Old 06-15-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

We have 12 mph winds and high current today, so I ended up checking out a local boat swap meet and putzing around my boat today. And, of course, surfing inet. I figure rowing every other day should be good enough. I did run into a guy putting in the estuary with a little trolling motor. Or rather, I should say, ****huge guy***. Which increased my resolve to stick with rowing as opposed to using a motor to explore.

As for the swap meet. I love those. Found a danforth fortress fx 7 anchor with chain, rode, & carrying case for throwing down in case I need to wait for an ebb tide. Or simply anchor for a quick break. It's a really nice little rig. It breaks apart and comes with its own carrying bag and tools. Since the estuary is sand, the mushroom anchors just won't do. This is reasonably heavy, even with a shortish chain. But it should do here in the estuary. So, now I'm totally set for exploring. Have expandable dock hook, throw rope, pfd (of course), tow harness (just in case), patch kit (just in case), pump (just in case), and a waterproof lamp (in the event I get caught after dark). The latter is doubtful bc it gets really cold once the sun sets.

Also picked up a lee cloth that I have affixed to the transom rail on my main rig. Yeah, spending money that I shouldn't. Though, to mitigate over-spending, I only checked out so much. lol

As for looks/comments? I haven't received any funny looks or negative comments. Or, perhaps, I just don't notice. It takes a lot to insult me. Regardless, the boaters have been waving, and I nod. Stopping rowing to wave throws off my rhythm. Some do stop and ask questions. Though, people seem to be the most fascinated with my rear view mirror/wind vane setup. I'm using broom holders to affix the thing to the transom. And, of course, since the transom is wood, I did use silicone sealant. I do worry a bit about rust, as these are metal (zinc). Then again, since everything gets sprayed down and covered... we'll see... A few have said I should patent it. I think they're finally figuring out that I am a seriously geeky gal. lol

Yeah, I am also considering a kayak if I wanna explore further and faster. I have my eye on the wilderness tarpon 120. For now however puttering around in the inflatable is fine. Am not in a hurry to get anywhere, actually. Just want to play on the water, so to speak.

And yes, a sailing dinghy that can double as a rower makes sense. Otoh, I did look at a few but they had a fairly big footprint and I wasn't really crazy about the design. That, and I am sorta leaning toward the Open Bic style hull.

Even after reading this review, I'm still sorta sweet on the Open Bic. What can I say? I like the hull style and it looks like it would be a ton of fun to sail. And yeah, I know. It is designed for kids. Then again, being a smallish female does have its advantages. ^_~

Last edited by shadowraiths; 06-15-2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar, etcetera
Old 06-15-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Then it sounds like you're happy an having fun and headed in the right direction.
Old 06-15-2013

algee is on a distinguished road

Rowing an inflatable dinghy is like trying to push a rope. It can be done but it aint easy.
MedSailor likes this.