Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: Motor vs Rowing inflatable dinghy...

Sounds like somebody here is having a bad day on the maiden voyage.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I get more patronizing comments, like how cute, he's rowing his dinghy, hope ou get there mate, types. So it's created a mini attitude for me. I'm not understanding this whole must have an outboard. Do we really anchor in such strong currents? I'm in a part of the world with decent currents and have yet to have a problem rowing.

Example.

Just read an article about Princess Louisa inlet. The author describes the peace quiet beauty. Then it shows him exploring coves in his dinghy with a two stroke outboard. I'm reading this post and thinking why is everyone thinking an outboard is such a necessity? Have you seen what two strokes dump into the water? How they smell? How do you describe the beauty of small coves while motoring you sinking polluting outboard?
elspru likes this.
Old 06-16-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Do we really anchor in such strong currents? I'm in a part of the world with decent currents and have yet to have a problem rowing.
For me, the answer is NO I do not need an outboard to avoid the currents WITH MY CURRENT TENDER. With my inflatable with the plywood floor, yes I did need an outboard (or a change of craft). I just couldn't row it against a current, but with my new tender I feel safe enough that I can.

The outboard is a choice for me (though I don't have one), whereas the ABILITY to row the craft against a current without the outboard is a must for me. This is because I don't trust small motors so even if I did have one I'd still worry that it would conk out and I'd be trying to row my rubber bathtub.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 06-16-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Okay, went out and picked up the longer oars. Wasn't really crazy about them, in that the longer length did not seem to make that much of a difference... unless I was power rowing. Which I'm not. Plus, if I left the oarlocks loose enough to do a feather/block, the oars slid all over the place, making the rowing tougher. I tried them at various lengths, and when I got back, decided to return them for now. I may change my mind later, but for now, the ones that come with the raft seem to be fine.

We had two windy days, which were not really conducive to rowing around, so I putzed around, and looked at, among other things, different raft sail configs. In fact, I am thinking about making my own rig, similar to this SailBoatsToGo setup:

But the only reason I would do something like that would be more of a jury rig challenge. You know, just for the halibut.

As I stated, I do enjoy rowing my little dinghy. Moreover, while other dinghies are great, I already purchased this from craigslist. So, looking at buying something else simply makes no sense.

At this point, I'm leaning away from buying a motor for the thing. So, I'll be limiting my exploring expeditions away from the heavier currents and during light or no wind days. Which is fine as my initial reason for getting a dink in the first place was to be able to go over to Jack London Square and Grand Marina via water, instead of driving or taking a bus. The place is less than a mile as the crow flies... or rather, as the dink rows. lol In fact, I rowed over to Grand Marina this morning, and then, to Jack London Square, where I wandered around, and then headed back before the wind picked up. The total row was only 3 miles. So, not really much of a work out, but still fun.

Imho, the reason I enjoy rowing is bc I'm not in a position where I have to get somewhere. So, it's not really a chore. I think if I was depending upon this little boat as a tender... say, I was anchored out and had to get to shore, I might not enjoy it... bc I *had to* row. Then again, I would not have picked it up, if I was looking for a tender.
Old 06-27-2013

Okay, you guys talked me into trading up... sorta. I've put my dinghy up for sale and in the mean time am gonna pick up a walker bay that is rigged out for sailing (and rowing, of course). Still no motor. Which is exactly like I want it.

I did some research on rowing shells. Talking about drooling! There's some real sweet ones. But honestly, most of them are way out of my price range. At least, with the WB8, I can still row for exercising, and work on some sailing, too.

I've got the boat on hold. And the price is right. Just have to find time to go pick it up. That, and hoping there are no major problems. Since it's pretty much plastic, can't imagine it having any serious problems. But if anyone knows of any major probs with this boat, your input is welcomed! :-)
elspru likes this.
Old 06-29-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
Okay, you guys talked me into trading up... sorta. I've put my dinghy up for sale and in the mean time am gonna pick up a walker bay that is rigged out for sailing (and rowing, of course). Still no motor. Which is exactly like I want it.
Sounds like a good idea! Definately don't get a motor unless you want to give up rowing. I think most people find that it's just too easy to be lazy if you have a motor and not row. Ever seen someone drive from one side of the strip mall to the other? Without the motor, you can continue to enjoy rowing, and I bet you'll like the walker's rowing and sailing abilities and you won't miss much about your inflatable.

MedSailor
elspru likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Given the interest in rowing and sailing I think you might like a sailing tender. I have a Dyer Dhow Midget, which is quite small and simple. There are plenty of examples in the 10' range that are better sailboats (with supported masts and sometimes even a jib). I'm surprised not to see many of these on SF Craigslist, they are common on the Seattle one. Here is an example of a larger one:
11' Ranger Sailboat

or a smaller one:
RANGER SAILING DINGHY 8' W/ Full Sail Rig

My dinghy outboard is the 2hp Honda. I bought it used on Craigslist from the original owner. It's extremely simple with no neutral or reverse. It is also a workhorse and reliable and light at about 25lbs (the current version is 30lbs). Gas is no fus, the fuel tank is built in. However the fuel tank is also very small (1 liter) and only lasts about an hour. I mostly use it on my inflatable, but I've stuck it onto my Dyer Dhow Midget too.
I was going to say the same thing, the sailing dinghy,skiff, or whatever you want to call it that you can row with oarlocks and nice long wooden oars with a 2HP Honda would be just about perfect. If you set it up right you can tow it behind you and use it to explore. the other option that comes to mind is one of the kayaks or canoes that you would be able to haul aboard. As for your inflatable, you could use the same little light weight Honda on it and you would haul the Honda and mount and lock it, store the inflatable on the deck when sailing.

I know I used to have a kayak and an inflatable, I used both quiet a lot when I was sailing, and yes I am a lot bigger than shadowwraith is, and able to haul crap onto and off the boat more easily, but if you have trouble lifting things you can rig something from the boom or get a set of davits to hang it off.

Sounds like you are having fun.
Old 06-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Definately don't get a motor unless you want to give up rowing.
Exactly. I think it would be too easy for me to justify using the motor if it was there. Besides, I wouldn't get to see these guys...

... if I were making all sorts of noise with a motor. So, best to avoid the temptation, altogether. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I bet you'll like the walker's rowing and sailing abilities and you won't miss much about your inflatable.
I think I will, too. I am quite excited. Have arranged to have it delivered next Friday afternoon. The guy even offered to show me how to sail it. Have also sold my inflatable. Oh and. Am going out sailing tomorrow. Stars must be aligned! Not that I actually believe that stuff... but... what can I say?

Life is good!
Old 06-30-2013

Catigale is on a distinguished road

If you enjoy rowing get a small hard dinghy in the 9-10 foot range and your life will change. You can row against that current or wind and put real hardware and oars on her

You can find a good used one for about 500 USD if you hunt a bit.

10 feet will still car top or deck on a small cruising sailboat.
Old 06-30-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Shadow;

Kudos for sticking to your guns re: row vs motor. My boat buddy insists that I use/need a motor on my 9' RIB. Hell !! I *enjoy* paddling about the marina in it. I even tried to sail it with a (much more primitive) rig that that shown...just for S&Gs
I am seriously considering a smaller hard-shell, tho. As much as I'd luv ta build a sweet little cockleshell; there's not enuff time to sail/maintain the mother ship AND craft a dink.
Anyone in the N. Chessie wanna swap a hard dink for a Caribe 9X?

Best,
Paul