Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Motor vs Rowing inflatable dinghy...

Yeah, I'd really like to avoid a two piece. I wonder if the Spindrift would work at 8' which would fit ahead of my mast and leave a little room to be able to do silly things like raise sails. Looks like a nice hull design.
Old 07-02-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Some pix from yesterday's sail.

northoceanbeach likes this.

Last edited by shadowraiths; 07-02-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

FWIW, I chose to power my little inflatable "dinghy in a bag" with an electric trolling motor. Everyone has tradeoffs to make on their specific boat and motoring needs. In my case, I had no place secure to keep a gas powered moter except in the cabin, and I did not want gasoline down there. The electric trolling motor and battery both store safety down below (as does the dinghy when it's deflated). Also I'm cheap, and found the trolling motor for $80 and already have a couple spare group 24 batteries in my basement for driving sump pumps and starting my Trophy boat during the 1-2 weeks a year that I use it on vacation. This dinghy will get very infrequent use (once or twice a year), so for <$200 total it will have to be good enough for me. If I were a serious cruiser with a larger boat I'd get a more serious dinghy and outboard.

In addition, for the inflatable that I have, even though it's rated for 2.5 HP outboard with the motor mount, I felt it was safer to have the weight of the battery contained within the boat itself instead of the weight+torque of an outboard hanging off the transom. A steady 30 lb thrust should be enough to get this lightweight boat most anywhere in protected waters, and won't cause the flotation tubes to collapse under the pressure.

Weather lately has been terrible, so I've had to work in between rainstorms. All I've been able to do so far is attach the registration numbers to the boat (each one had to be attached with Krazy Glue because they didn't want to stick to the fabric) and install the motor mount. I hope to test it all out this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-03-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I had a few minutes between thunderstorms yesterday evening to place the battery and trolling motor on the raft and ride around a few of the local marinas. I confirmed that the dinghy has enough speed to make headway against the local current, which is obviously very important.

After an hour of motoring around the area, I packed up the motor and battery in the cabin and was done for now. I checked the voltage on the battery afterwards, and it barely dropped at all.

There's a nice little cove about 5 miles upriver with a restaurant (upscale internal restaurant and casual patio dining). We've bene there before by car, but with this little dink we'll be able to anchor in the cove and make it to shore without getting all hot and sweaty.

Between that and the occasional long weekend on the upper Bay, I expect we'll get some occasional use out of this makeshift dinghy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-06-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Sold my RU Sunday. The Walker Bay 8, with newbie sail rig, was delivered today. Spent the afternoon cleaning her, hitting WM, and making her ready to take out tomorrow.

Still do not plan to get a motor though.
Old 07-06-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Good for you. You don't need a motor on a hard dinghy. We've rowed for decades of coastal sailing(from Candada to the Bahamas).

It's good excercise(rowers arms don't do the double wave), it's a simple system that doesn't break(check your locks and oars regularly), it's clean and green and best of all, rowing is a pleasant experience on the water, you can't get with a motor.

TakeFive and shadowraiths like this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomMaine For This Useful Post:
shadowraiths (07-07-2013)