Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: this ad has gotten better..

1200 won't get it hauled out. Or rather, it will get it hauled out--but the meter starts ticking as soon as it has been hauled. What yard would be dumb enough to allow a broken boat to be dropped off, without a prepaid storage contract, or a repair contract? If he did break the keel, as he suspects, that's an easy five or ten grand in hull repairs, plus the engine rusting away, plus interior electrics and water damage...

You'd have to be a very "handy" new owner to make that boat not scrapyard fodder now. Repairs by any conventional means would cost more than replacing the boat, given the cost of even a used engine.

I suspect that conveniently located outboard engine on the transom means the inboard was fubar before this guy even got involved.

Might be a rabbit in that hat but I suspect someone is going to get a surprise with the wreck removal fees instead. That's USCG/USACE waters and even if the town ignores it for a while, as soon as the fuel starts shimmering out, they won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateen Luffer View Post
What a dork. If this guy was clever he could use some plastic 55-gal drums and plenty of line to float it away. Toss one over the port side and fish the rope under to starboard. Then use an onboard winch to get the drum to help float her. Repeat all over. Maybe I shouldn't be posting this and showing what a hayseed I am. I am sorry, Sailnet, I have no shame. ~LL
P.S.- Or he could use those same drums flooded with seawater and some garden hose connecting them and get them all around the hull. Then toss a bilge pump in one to displace the water from them and float the boat! By the way, I've been watching MacGyver lately.
I forget who maybe fatty goodlander but one of the old dudes floated a boat by:
1. Collecting hundreds of empty bottles.
2. Tie a bunch of them together in a bundle.
3. Tie a short line and a long line to the bundle.
4. Dive and tie a snatch block to the sunk hull.
5. Tie the end of the long line to his power dink operated by his wife.
6. Dive and put the middle of the line in the snatch block.
7. Is wife would power up the dink which would pull the bundle of bottles to the sunk boat so he could dive and attache the short line to the boat and disconnect the snatch block and do it all over again with another bundle of bottles.

Seems like a whole lot of work to me.
Old 06-16-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

I thought Fatty just dove repeatedly--over days or maybe weeks--and hand carried empty plastic bottles and jugs into the cabin of a sunk boat.
Old 06-17-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
I thought Fatty just dove repeatedly--over days or maybe weeks--and hand carried empty plastic bottles and jugs into the cabin of a sunk boat.

I'm sure he did. There was someone however that used the snatch block trick. I know I read it, I'm not creative enough to think of it myself.
If I had to guess he did both.
Old 06-18-2013
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Someone should email the owner and ask if he would consider a totaled car left at the impound lot in trade.
Old 06-18-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Ah, but a true zen master would simply enlighten the boat. And upon attaining enlightenment, the boat would come level and dry the height of an ant above the water, and follow its new and loving master home with no engine required.

Short of zen masters, which like wizards are often not to be found just when you need one, you could always call down to Miami and have them send up FLipper and his buddies to carry the poor thing home.
Old 06-18-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road

The ad appears to be deleted now. Hopefully it is working out better. A great warning to go slow and travel the first boat purchase with wiser and more experienced people such as the first folks here. I know voices here helped me with a first purchase that I am very pleased with. Still there is no guarantee that the result will be all good. Which is why purchase budget needs to factor in the unexpected...
Old 06-18-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Sometimes I think that the majority of sailboats out there are worth nothing. So many sit in boat yards or even in marinas, the owners have disappeared, never to be found. It is definitely buyer beware, especially for newbs who have no idea how badly things can deteriorate with just a few years of neglect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-18-2013

jfdubu is on a distinguished road

I lived this story, thru my dad. Many years ago he bought a hurricane boat for $1.00 but he had to pay to move it, $400. It was a buccaneer I think and hurricane Bob, so 1980"s? Anyway, delusioned with sailing the seven seas he gutted the interior and started his salvage project. My dad who can fix anything on a car, truck, crane etc was/is not so good with fiberglass and wood. Slowly the desire to fix the sailboat and the desire to go boating translated to a 19 ft runabout with an outboard. The sailboat sat for 6-7 years before Dad thru in the towel realizing it was to far gone.(I told him this the minute I saw the fiberglass patch job on the cracked hull). Cost to remove from yard, $500. Total cost of lesson, $901.00 and a butt ugly boat sitting in his year for 7 years.

Run, don't walk away from this.

John

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.